INFORMATION REGARDING MUSLIMS IN LUANDA

AOA,

I M BEING POSTED TO LUANDA . I JUST WANT TO KNOW THAT WHAT ARE THE SOCIAL CONDITION IN LUANDA FOR A MUSLIM. ARE THERE MOSQUES AND HALAL FOOD EASILY AVAILABLE. FURTHER WHAT IS THE AMOUNT REQUIRED TO MAINTAIN A GOOD LIVING STANDARD  FOR A SINGLE PERSON.

Hello khurramhunjra,

Welcome to expat-blog :)

To answer some of your questions I suggest you take a look to this thread. It might be helpful.

P.s Could you please not write with caps-lock on the forum, since we try to keep the threads readable ;)

Thank you,
Melissa

Thanks Melissa

But could there be a more specific reply that I have been offered 2500 $ + accommodation and + food allowance. How much I may be able to save out of these .

I live quite a simple life.

WalaikumAssalam!!
The land is dry and the traffic is not good (I can not really say that it's bad… I've lived all my life in Delhi). The people are okay not as intimidating as I thought. Like I said, Angola is okay… still adapting to the Portuguese community is the real challenge, especially if you don't speak the language.
Usually, us ladies, would go to the store, stare at those boxes and make excuses on why we shouldn't purchase them. From the high cholesterol to “my kids don't like them” excuse. But we knew what stopped us from grabbing those little birdie eggs. There's no way on earth we're paying US$ 25 for 12 miniscule eggs.
When my husband's company first informed us that he'd be transferred here, we asked the same question. Luanda – Angola? Where's that? It was there on Google Earth, but there was very limited information online. All that was emphasized that everything was expensive here.
Now that we're actually living here, there are more to Luanda than just being “The Most Expensive City for Expatriates 2010” (Mercer). The city is just so vibrant that it's really hard to describe.
Luanda is the capital city of Angola and it's the home for almost one third (though the precise number is always a moving target) of the country population. This Portuguese speaking country is one of the highest oil producers in Africa and with Angolan Civil War just ended in 2002, the development of this country is really in high speed mode. New buildings pop up everyday, old trees chopped down and replaced by Miami grown palm trees, sea reclamation project. It's truly like playing Civilization II in fast forward. And just like any other (high speed) developing country, the gap between the rich and the poor is still very wide. Luxurious apartments and old wrecked buildings with cloth lines hanging out from the window are standing side by side. With the kind of traffic here sometimes I wonder what's the point of having those latest Cayenne, Porsche or Hummer going around the city, if you cannot even go beyond third gear.
Then why we decided to extend our 5th year here? The money for one, but once you get to know the country, the city and the people, it's pretty okay. Sound as cliche as it might, but it's all “in your head”. Where else can you see driving school cars with two steering wheels? Or people cheering and clapping their hands whenever the plane safely lands? I thought at first, having a plane landed safely was a rare occasion in the country, but then I was told it was the passengers' way to say thank you to the pilot. Not to mention the absolutely gorgeous (empty and pristine white sand) beaches only within an hour drive? Just make sure you pack up the car with enough cold drinks though, as there's always patrols that just want to check your paper, your Portuguese comprehension or simply your guts.
Once a friend told me, “If you want to feel like home then stay at home”. If you're up to be an expat (especially in countries “deemed difficult”), having an open mind is your biggest capital. Here, the smallest things get me psyched. Like finding a certain kid magazine for USD 6. Or when once every blue moon, they're selling Maggie (for USD 5 a pack) in the local stores. A Scottish friend of mine once called me and literally screaming on the phone, “You'll not believe what I found, it's Heinz's Baked Beans. Yea, it's three times the price, but finally normal familiar baked beans”.
If you're a big fan of fruits, there's no lack of them here. Pineapples are always in season, and they're huge in size. The mangoes are red and sweet. Everybody will have home made maracuja-mousse for dessert when passion fruits in season.
Delhi may have sale season all the time, but here we have whale season for about 6 weeks in August-September. Just take one hour boat ride off the shore, then wait, and the next thing you know you'll be surrounded by families of humpbacks making the giggly noises, flipping through the water, swimming under your boat.
I truly believe that there's no place like this. You can find anything here, though they come with hefty price tags..
Now we have New Super Market.. Minha Loja Supermercado for Indian Grocery and they have some Indian Staff too .
My Suggestion is that Don't Miss The Chance :)
All the Best..

Sorry to Include The Most important part ..yes We have small Mosque here and Alhumdulillah now we are getting enough Halal Items ...
facebook.com/pages/Minha-Loja-Supermarcados/278144912225940

thanks very much aatika

Look to take more advice from u thnks again

Dear Sister Aatika,
I read your comments very carefully. Feel feared to come over there, as i am coming july 2015 for business trip. What you suggest, being a epat, who much money is enough to live there for 2 weeks. Secondly, how can i find a suitable and cheap residence there. Please suggest
regards
Waseem Khwaja

@ Waseem Khwaja > You have posted on a very old thread here and you might not receive responses from this member.

Maybe you should consider creating a new thread on the Luanda forum, the active members will be able to communicate with you more easily.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers: