Construction of a wooden house

Let me translate it then.
Iwanted to build a wooden house in mauritius for it's beauty and also for ecology reasons.  I also thought it would cost me cheaper than a concrete house but I was surprised to know that it costs 5 times or more, more expensive! So wooden houses are only meant for extremely rich people in Mauritius! What do you think?

anonym01 wrote:

So wooden houses are only meant for extremely rich people in Mauritius! What do you think?

It's funny ( oxymoron) that this is NOT in your original version :D

Reference : cost of wood ( not easily available on the island now that they are even building where they shouldn't)  versus cement and sand

Hi,

We viewed a newly built wooden house for rent recently and it was stunning but was too remote for us hence us not renting it.

The owner had a few people who came to look around it as they were considering building one - he said it was very reasonable to import the whole house in kit form and much cheaper than building a normal style house.

He also said it was bolted to a concrete base to make it cyclone proof etc.

The house was built in Tamarin out on the reserve - which has beautiful walks all around it. So it fitted right in with it's surroundings.

He definitely said it much cheaper than building a house of concrete and bricks:)

Hello anonym01 > a new thread has been created as from your post on the English speaking forum.

I agree on the fact that wood is imported. But from the point of view that it's ecological, the government should promote a little bit more wooden housing, I mean lesser taxes(Is there any?).

@Rosiewestie: It's cheaper only in theory!

Any idea if your contact imported it himself/herself or got it through a local agent? Thanks.

Madvee

madveemuthu wrote:

Any idea if your contact imported it himself/herself or got it through a local agent? Thanks.

Madvee

This thread is over 2 years old now so I do not think you will get a reply. Please feel free to post a new thread.

in africa wooden houses are 10 times cheaper than concrete. mauritius is reverse .

Regards
Rishi