Dog crate wanted

Dear all,

We are looking for an IATA-approved crate to take our adopted dog with us when we leave Mauritius next year.  We have seen the ones at Resiglas, but they are very expensive and not particularly well-made.  Does anyone have any other suggestions or even have a 90cm crate that they do not need that we could buy secondhand?

Thanks
Chris

Anyone know, besides Espace Maison, where I can get crates in Mauritius?

In Espace Maison the have either the tinny little ones or the huge ones but nothing in between.

Joan

We ended up buying ours in Singapore, but there used to be (2010) a company that made them out of wood for air transport.  You can get their contact from British Airways cargo.

Espace Maison sell the IATA crates, they are called Ferplast - Front label shows a air plane, what you have to remember is that the measurements shown on the outside of the crate are the external measurements of the crate, you need these but more importantly you need to get the internal measurements after measuring your dog. If the internal measurements are even a few cms short of your requirements then you have to go up a size in crate - this applies to BA and returning to the UK.

I know people are having difficulty buying a Ferplast 60 or 70 - cannot remember which one - we recently shipped to the UK, and Tamarin store did not have the size so they looked on their computer and found a store that did have one and we had the choice to collect or have it sent to Tamarin - we chose to collect - just in case.

If you contact Ludovic at BA, he will give you the details of the guy who makes wooden ones to order, our dogs came from the UK in made to measure wooden ones, very sturdy although the Ferplast do not seem sturdy, they actually are especially as the crate is attached to binding in the hold so it does not move around.

There are a few other places that you can get dog crates - will find out and post tomorrow details plus Ludovics at BA Number.I have a list but for some reason I am unable to access my files this evening.

There is a good site that shows you exactly how to measure your dog, then you put the measurements in and it tells you exactly what size crate you need - I have used this site for the last few years when sending dogs to the UK and never had a problem with crate size - always passed :)

Site is: http://www.dryfur.com/shipping_container_guide.htm - if you scroll down the page you will come to the section where you put your measurements in. There is even a video showing you how to measure your dog.

I have recently purchased 2 Ferplast dog crates for my 2 adopted Mauritian dogs as they were on offer, so bought them so I have them ready for when we return back in the future.

Internet on and off, will add further details tomorrow.

Hi,
Finally got into my notes :)

1. BA Guy who will have details for the wooden crates is:
   Ludovic Tang Tak To Phone: 2306378127 - email: [email protected]

2. Shops/Outlets selling animal crates:

1. Ask at the quarantine in Reduit. Travel crates are often left there by incoming pets..(230) 466662 or 454 1016 or 1017
2.Animalia à Quatre Bornes
3.Mr Bricolage

These are all places where my friends have got IATA travel crates from.
Hope this has been of help to you.
Good luck and great that you are taking yuour adopted Mauritian doggie with you :)