Any rules to buying a motorcycle

Greetings,
I just rented a condo and now am looking for a motorcycle.  Where can I buy a legal bike?

Motorcycle dealers will have new one's and many also have used bikes for sale.  All big dealers I have found to be above board.

You can also check www.bahtsold.com for used bikes. 

If you buy used from private party its best both seller and buyer go to Department of land transportation office to make transfer and only pay seller if all ok.  I say this because they will insure all serial numbers (frame,engine and blue book) all match otherwise you take your chances.

If interested in larger cc bikes do be very very careful because many are not registered at all or have bogus registration.  Completeing transaction at Department of land transportation office is always the best for reason mentioned previously.

A dealer takes a lot of the risk away; as many dealerships offer their own finance they at times repossess bikes and re-sell; I bought one like this, had just 4000km and they had sold it new, serviced it under warranty, had retained the ownership papers (Green Book, they don't hand over till paid in full) and best of all, fully transferable warranty still had almost 18mths to run. Paid about 75% price of a new one, now 33,000km and never a problem.

ancientpathos wrote:

Greetings,
I just rented a condo and now am looking for a motorcycle.  Where can I buy a legal bike?

Hi Ron,

I know where and some friends who want to sell motorbike.

See you when you get back.

Best bet is a dealer to avoid hassle, and they aren't that expensive.  People try tricks, like with mileage and such, in selling used vehicles.  You can also rent one that is pretty new with insurance for 3000 baht per month.
If you are really wanting a "deal", there is a flea market every Saturday morning in Sanpatong --- about 18km south of CM --- where there are tons of bikes for sale from private parties.  That's the place to do bargaining.  (But you have to get down there without owning a bike...a dilemma). 
americanexpatchiangmai.com