Tips for renters in Malta

TIP FOR RENTERS-never ever sign a contract for your lease unless you know for sure and have it written into your rental agreement that you will only pay the rates appropriate to registered consumers and that you will be allowed to be on the bills as such..no agreement then walk away (there are over 50000 empty properties at anyone time) and find a landlord who is willing to allow you your EU rights - IF YOUR BILLS FROM ARMS STATE 0 (ZERO) CONSUMERS YOU MAY BE BEING OVERCHARGED....... DONT BE BULLIED CONNED OR DISCRIMINATED AGAINST - YOU HAVE EU RIGHTS - MAKE SURE YOU GET THEM.

its the responsibility of the landlord to be just as tax compliant as the renter.

May I assume that is registered as in being a Resident?

No not necessarily...this is a major bone of contention and is subject to legal class action cases and issues at the this very moment.

currently you need to have both an id card, and a residency certificate (the legality of requiring this is a massive question with the EU commission) and to get the res cert you will need to provide other docs as well - marriage and birth certs, divorce papers for women only. proof of income to support yourselves , pensions savings, bank statements if retired, if working payslips and SSC numbers and documentary evidence of health care cover, this may be the RHA card or private healthcare certs or you could transfer your NI contributions and thus healthcare rights from the UK

currently once you have these then you can
a) apply for a utility account in your own name (466euros)

b) or apply to be included as registered consumers on the account of the account holder (owner). to do so you need to submit copies of id cards and res certs front and back and complete the required forms. you will also need the permission of the account holder and a copy of his/her id card front and back. if you do not have a res cert you can still prove residency on the strength of tax payments and SSC payments via a payslip.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

a residency certificate (the legality of requiring this is a massive question with the EU commission)

EU law allows a country to issue residency certificates to EU foreigners residing in their country. Malta issues them, so don't see why ARMS can't ask to see it as proof of residency.

georgeingozo wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

a residency certificate (the legality of requiring this is a massive question with the EU commission)

EU law allows a country to issue residency certificates to EU foreigners residing in their country. Malta issues them, so don't see why ARMS can't ask to see it as proof of residency.

EU law also requires that all EU citizens are treated equally.

Not always. A Maltese citizen doesn't have to prove they have enough money to live on to be able to live in Malta. A foreigner does. That is perfectly legal

A foreigner living in Malta cannot vote in general elections.

In other cases, foreign residents are treated better than locals - eg no tax on worldwide income unless brought into Malta.

I feel we need to be fair to Malta as it takes time to change one culture for another in terms of being an independent island race to becoming part of Europe. Add to that, the expectations of the European community of Malta. The two are so different that integration in many respects will not be achieved in terms of government, processes and distribution of resources. I expect that there are many indigenous Maltese who feel drained by the degrees of expectations placed on them. I also think that perhaps, arguably, it may feel like being bullied to expect compliance in every regard. We can research what to expect and make our choices accordingly; to accept or decline. Our choice.

very well put.

Thats better now I feel comfortable George - am back to disagreeing with you...I feel so much better. Millstone sold to the highest bidder LOL

we will have to wait and see what transpires in the legality issues for sure

Time - how much time? Malta has been part of the EU for 8 years.

I can accept the points on the stresses brought to bear on the indigenous population, and also the frustrations borne by the "foreigner" but surely there has to be balance and fairness when you integrate and that was always an expectation. It is indeed a long and difficult road.

georgeingozo wrote:

In other cases, foreign residents are treated better than locals - eg no tax on worldwide income unless brought into Malta.

more than balanced out by the hidden treasures of millions of euros
/ lira in unpaid taxes LOL

Well, UK has been part for far longer, the European Economic Community (EEC)and then the UK joined the European Union November 1993 when the Treaty on European Union (otherwise known as the Treaty of Maastricht) came into force. (after a referendum in 1975)
I would argue that the UK still hasn't integrated!!!
(See arguments re Eastern European immigration to UK.)
I feel it would take at least the passing of 3 generations before that could happen. I have seen the differences over the years in Maltese culture since 1979, compounded by the influx of technology. So yes, it is a long and difficult road.

toonarmy9752 wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

more than balanced out by the hidden treasures of millions of euros
/ lira in unpaid taxes LOL

With respect, I think we should be careful about pursuing that argument, it could work both ways.

Hello toonarmy9752,

I have started a new topic thread for you on forum Malta.

Thank you,
Melissa

agreed redmik....

BUT
We are thinking of renting for six months before thinking about anything more permanent
Does this mean we have to have residency to be fairly treated?
Frank Salt are obviously big and advertise that they advise on these things, but maybe I have missed out on this information????

Kathrine....This problem of non disclosure is prominent amongst all estate agents, big and small on the island, none of them are immune from these flaws - yes they may advertise these things as they do properties supposedly available but many are not available........

Currently you must be able to provide an id card, a residency certificate (for which you will be asked for evidence of  healthcare cover and that you can support yourself) and/or evidence of income tax/SSC payments made in Malta. Without these you cannot get the residential tariffs for water and electricity.