Hockey in Riyadh

Hi all,

Being a Canadian and all, I'm desperate for some hockey, especially with the NHL lockout. Playing NHL on ps3 and watching KHL games is about the only fix I've had.

Does anyone know about any organized hockey in Riyadh? It doesn't have to be ice hockey, could be roller or ball hockey, ANYTHING.

I know it's a long shot but if anyone has any information, I would appreciate it very much!

Cheers

Alex

Check oot the Canadian Embassy there in a Hockey pitch there. The guys organise games there!

I heard from some "guy" today that the "Canadian" Embassy organises some kinda hockey. It's a shame you don't know anybody who works in the Canadian Embassy, eh?

I guess it means this option's oot, eh? Sad times, eh...?

(Moderated: please do mind your language) eh

- I meant fudge, common typo.

Hi alpha89,

You can always post an advert on classifieds Riyadh, under "Activites". I am sure some other Canadians miss hockey too ;)

Good luck,
Melissa

Go to FAL Ice Skating Rink in King Abdulaziz Road. I skate there with my friends on tuesday nights. If you have your gears, we can play pick-up games.

I don't bring any gear with me! I don't have a problem picking some up or having it sent to me if this becomes a regular thing. What time do you guys play, I would love to drop by and watch.

Actually, there's no "stick & puck" there so we're always there on tuesdays between 4:30PM to 6:30PM (lean hours)to avoid traffic (i mean, ice traffic 'coz there's a lot of kids frequenting the place!) See you there!

Oh so you don't play hockey? You just skate? Or you play hockey between 4:30 and 6:30 to avoid the kids?

Alex

Is this discussion about field hockey played on AstroTurf ? Is hockey played in Saudi ?

He means Canadian Hockey ie the ones played on ice, though here, I imagine it would either be roller blades or on foot! Although truth be told, without the roller blades, I would imagine it would be field hockey...more or less, albeit with a different hockey stick.

Yeah, currently I don't have the equipment to play any hockey, but I was hoping for ball hockey on foot but I would be game with playing on ice if its frequent and good, I would get the equipment I need.

But actually - I would play field hockey if there was an opportunity haha. Really I would play anything lol

Hi there.
I used to play with friends from canada and the us. But since sept. 11 most of my friends left the kingdom for good. Since then i didn't play roller hockey.
We used to play at the Arezona compound. there is a hockey ground there, you may check there.
And i'm looking for some guys i can play with. If you know please let me know.
Cheers.

hockey on grass will be starting soon so you can join that if you want to.  I will be setting up this Friday and trial with some experience hockey players and that is not on ice or anything, the hockey which was famous sport of Pakistan :).

If you are interested let me know and maybe you can join in too.....BTW it will be played near Al-Hair Road exit 21 more details after this Friday if the trial run on the grass goes well...

Thanks
Aasif

Thanx Asif,
exit 21 is too far for me,  i live in exit 8.
thanx again.

So do I but i go there for Cricket 3 times a week :) so if you want to play and enjoy than one has to travel!...It is a grassy ground with floodlights....

Hi Everyone, Just picking up this thread again in 2024!  I am moving to Riyadh in the coming months and would also like to play ice or roller hockey?  Does any of it still go on in 2024?  Is there a hockey rink yet?

Hi smrossouw

I didn't play hockey for 22 years now. i don't know who is playing now and where. let's hope someone tell us if there is any group plays hockey in riyadh.

There is Ice Hockey in Riyadh!!!   Please head to Cool Arena every evening from 8pm for Ice Hockey drop in sessions. There is also a team that trains on Tuesday evenings called the The Wings and has ladies team. 

To read more about the club or get in contact go to instagram and search riyadhicesportsclub or put this link in your browser [link moderated]   

I got in contact and they were really friendly.  See you there!