Traffic tickets in Riyadh?

how is the traffic? any speeding tickets?

Riyadh hasn't anything called traffic (this word is too polite). It's all *CHAOS* :D

And yes, roads has speed limits and there are a lot of cameras (fixed/vehicle=mounted). Traffic signals are no exceptions.

Exceeding the limit by 25km/h costs :) 300 SAR
by 50km/h costs :) 500 SAR

Oh!but are the rules strictly adhered to? as in, in the US you do get the tickets mailed to your residence if traffic law is violated and captured by the camera. .is that true in Saudi too? thanks TLL :)

I'd say 'stricter' than that but in quite a different way.

Bad news are broke to you via SMS. The fine is registered on your Iqama (residential ID) followed by a ban on all your legal matters like Iqama renewal, getting vacation visa (called the exit re-entry visa) etc...until and unless you pay the tickets off.

andang wrote:

Oh!but are the rules strictly adhered to? as in, in the US you do get the tickets mailed to your residence if traffic law is violated and captured by the camera. .is that true in Saudi too? thanks TLL :)

wow! now that is something never ever heard of!! SCARY,I would say.

andang wrote:

No, Not that scary If you have the money to Pay for any violation !!  :)

true saimans :) but like something which gets on my visa and all is scary !

I have paid here enough for speeding :)

Actually exceeding the limit by less than 25km/h costs 300SAR
exceeding the limit by over than 25km/h costs 500 SAR

what is the process to fight a ticket ? I got one last week and I would like to challenge it. thier website says to go to :
In case of any objections to cited violation or violations, please check:

“Authority to Settle Disputes, Issues and Traffic Violations” – General Department of Traffic – General Security – Ministry of Interior

Any one with an experience on this ? where is this place ?

I think that they are located in Nasiriyah in front of the ministry of foreign affairs south of Takasussi road. You'll find a huge building that's the main building for the traffic police.

Thanks @Alharith86.

saimans wrote:
andang wrote:

Yeah not scary, if you abide by the rules!!!

Just like me! Still no ticket!! Woooohoooo! :)

seeker of truth wrote:

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001155499/jealous_xlarge.jpeg

In India we don't pay tickets, we pay BRIBE.

saimans wrote:
andang wrote:

Approx how much money to be paid for the ticket ? I bet it wud be different for different violations, so what's the minimum and maximum?

100 to 900 SAR per violation.

More info here: www.moi.gov.sa >> English >> Rules and Regulations >> Traffic Violations & Penalties

I received a ticket for 150 riyal for a reason I still don't know. I was making a left turn from Takhasussi street heading west on Orouba. the light was red and I was behind the trafic light (completely parked) all of a sudden the camera flash started hitting me, my wife asked was that for you ? and I responded why on earth, I'm completely still on a red light behind the trafic signal waiting for the green. But sure enough, a week later I got the SMS

:mad: Arfff, I got one before Eid so I paid 300 SAR.

To check if you have any pending ticket click here >> Query Traffic Violations

Welcome to our 'Saher Penalized Club' @Abu_Adel :)

siddig u can lodge a compliant and wait for them to reverse your fine. i mean, wait forever.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Riyadh hasn't anything called traffic (this word is too polite). It's all *CHAOS* :D

And yes, roads has speed limits and there are a lot of cameras (fixed/vehicle=mounted). Traffic signals are no exceptions.

Exceeding the limit by 25km/h costs :) 300 SAR
by 50km/h costs :) 500 SAR

Hey TLL,
I believe within 25Km/h its 300 above 25 Km/h its 500.
Rgds

siddig wrote:

I received a ticket for 150 riyal for a reason I still don't know. I was making a left turn from Takhasussi street heading west on Orouba. the light was red and I was behind the trafic light (completely parked) all of a sudden the camera flash started hitting me, my wife asked was that for you ? and I responded why on earth, I'm completely still on a red light behind the trafic signal waiting for the green. But sure enough, a week later I got the SMS

Not sure what exactly happened but based on my experience you should stay behind the red light (crossing red light is 500 SR so 150 is not for breaking red light). May be you moved your car a bit forward after red light. Once your car is moved camera flashes. In a years time I have got 3 fines for crossing speed limits but all were genuine.

Sometimes cameras do malfunction. So people have to raise claims and this has happened with a few friends of mine.

And there are a few things under testing for example not stopping in full before turning right on red. For such violations, cameras flash but penalties are not applied yet.

pkmusd wrote:

Hey TLL,
Rgds

:) Here is what I meant:

Say speed limit somewhere is 50km/hr.

-> Anyone between 51-75km/h will be penalized 300 SAR.
-> 76-100km/h --- 500 SAR
-> Above that --- 900 SAR

TheLegendLeads wrote:
pkmusd wrote:

Hey TLL,
Rgds

:) Here is what I meant:

Say speed limit somewhere is 50km/hr.

-> Anyone between 51-75km/h will be penalized 300 SAR.
-> 76-100km/h --- 500 SAR
-> Above that --- 900 SAR

Ahan,
During Eid on-way to bahrain Moroor give me a manual ticket for something which I even don't know. Looks like for seat belt or full beam on. Haven't got the sms as yet. Hope I survive :)

I'm almost certain that I didn't do anything wrong (eg. stopping over the walkway, stoping byoend the trafic signal,etc). I'm leaning more towards the notion of malfunctions as @TheLegendLeads wrote above.
the question for me : is it worth fighting it ? will I be able to reverse it ? or as @the_blade said I would wait for ever.
another question : how long do I have before the fine is doubled ?

siddig wrote:

I'm almost certain that I didn't do anything wrong (eg. stopping over the walkway, stoping byoend the trafic signal,etc). I'm leaning more towards the notion of malfunctions as @TheLegendLeads wrote above.
the question for me : is it worth fighting it ? will I be able to reverse it ? or as @the_blade said I would wait for ever.
another question : how long do I have before the fine is doubled ?

30 days before it gets double. Better pay it and you file objection you will get the refund.
Haven't filed objection as yet so no idea that whats the process and what chances you have

TheLegendLeads wrote:
seeker of truth wrote:

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001155 … large.jpeg

Don't be TLL,it's the price in abiding the rules! :)

You would have to pay on next visit to Bahrain. Yes..!! You may survive, if never visit bahrain on the same Aqama.
The same happend with me while entering Bahrain through Saudi Causeway and at visa entry check post, I was asked to pay for the fine which was due six months before.