African Americans in Australia

yeah thats what I hear....looks to me that way two new york,LA,chicago,lol think I would like it there to,a little taste
of home, got lots of fam in chicago population here is 1074159...
thats a lot ! beacause its not that big...driving makes me fill like NY ?...we need more freeways man ! I start working on one tomorrow the ( super way) they call it..

Removed

[moderated: please post your advert in the event section]

Hello everyone. I hope all is well! We had a wonderful time in Cairns and Sydney 3 week ago. I want to move to Sydney and reading your blogs is helpful.

Hie guys I will be also moving to Australia early 2014 but I am also scared if I would be accepted lol, I don't think I can handle those dirty looks as a young black man, I have been in the States for 2yrs and currently I'm in Asia. I'm a South African by birth, I am looking to stay in a town where there is black people, African Americans, at least I know Aussies won't give me much of those "looks" . Generally, I'm coming there to seek better living, work to be specific. Can someone advise me in any how they can, by suggesting which city can I live in where it's cool and people are friendly.

@Sweetiesmith do you mind giving the full name of the Facebook Group and exactly how it is spelled because the one I found is just blank.

Thank you.

Removed

Hey....I will be moving to Sydney in November.  Have you had any luck finding other folks from the states to party with? NoT that I want to socialize exclusively with Americans but it would help my transition a bit

Removed

@Sandi

As you've probably seen Australia has a history of racism that hasn't been hidden from public view. This is due to the blunt honesty of the Australian culture may be harsh but at least they won't lie to your face. You may experience some from the boganites (aka rednecks). This is because they are trash anyway and generally hate everything aside from cigarettes and alcohol and are perfectly happy living on welfare payments while complaining about everything.

Overall the general Australian won't care what you look like. You may get a bit of a ride if you have an American accent. Americans to be honest have the nickname of Septic Tanks 1. since it rhymes with Yank and two are generally considered by Australians as full of S**T. How best to explain the Americans have the World Series of Baseball when its only the Americans that are competing in it doesn't really count as being a World Series.

Best way to integrate is to volunteer, say in the Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade. This is where you will learn the Australian attitude towards hardwork, and will earn the respect of your brigade.

The top 2 traits Australians regardless of descent respect above all else.

1. Pulling your weight - If there's work to be done, don't try to pass it off or believe you're too good for this work. Get your hands dirty help out "Many hands make light work" The faster something takes to get done the more time we have to relax. We're a community, if someone needs help and you can help out then do so. If it's hardwork he may buy you beers etc. He'll help your out when you need it. This is mateship which not holding your end up is a big taboo.

2. Being able to laugh at yourself, don't take yourself too seriously - If you can't laugh at your differences you'll come to hate them. Australians love offensive jokes. People will sense if you're too uptight from a mile away.

One thing I have noticed since living here is the underhanded rude comments about America. You'll get that a lot when people hear where you're from. Unlike them, we are not dragging up their past and holding them accountable for the horrid things their people did to their own native people, but they hold us accountable for all of America's actions. The posted statement is an example of that kind of behavior. Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. Just  be prepared for some foolishness!

Actually its in our education as we grow up. We learn what we have done to the Aboriginals in the past, each school and government building has an apology to the Indigenous, every major event has a speech paying respects to the people and elders past, present and future. We're not proud of it but we've apologised and we are moving forward.  We display an Aboriginal flag beside the Australian one also Torres Strait islanders, Aboriginal culture is taught in schools. I have heaps of respect for the Aboriginal community yes there are some people who are bad but a vast majority are good people.

I have seen Aboriginal blokes pull their white friends out of fights with other people. You know how they do this? The aboriginal bloke turns his mate around and starts having a fake verbal with him and takes him away from the real fight.

As I said in my previous post. Learn to laugh at yourself and not take yourself too seriously. Mates will insult each other here as a means of endearment. Don't stress we do it to the Poms (british) too. You know what they do just beat us in sports and brag about it. Same we call Kiwi's sheep shaggers, we have rivalries which bring friendly banter.

Comedies about Australians won't get hatred towards it we'll laugh at it. Look up Australia's Tall poppy syndrome. Australia's most popular celebrities are Comedians i.e Hamish and Andy etc

In the End Australia is stronger for multi-culturalism means we can take the strengths of every culture out there and learn from it. And a technicality I didn't mention your past currently the MBL as in present has its finals called World Series which only American teams compete. This comment made no mention to your past in any shape.

Aussiebloke,

Thank you guys for the information you shared, it really gave me a clue of what to expect so yeah, I'm looking forward to it. However, I find it purely unfair for the Aussies to label all Americans and assume they are the same, we are born different and have different beliefs. Aussies should learn that, (Moderated : No vulgarity please) then I deserve that Septic Tank name, but if I'm a good person I should be addressed accordingly.

Good luck to me!!

I'm not saying you're not. I'm just highlighting to the fact that you may come across it so you can preempt it.

This is the bar that has been set. It's up to you to live up to it or rise above it. Just remember don't go chest pounding. Americans have a habit of raising people up on a pedestal. Australians have a habit of knocking those people on a pedestal down. Just cultural differences.

We have good sensors whether someone is telling a porky pie (lie), and we'll call them on it.

This is also due to media we see Americans on TV as so fake. Stuff like "wow its so amazing I can't believe it's this good"...Australian's would respond "Yeah it's not bad"

The septic Tank remark is one method of doing so. So the worst thing to do is be offended by it.

There's a video on youtube that give's an accurate description on the difference which may help. It's not perfect but hey it's a start.

youtube.com/watch?v=BZvL4wvlhmE

I hope you find exploring and working here fun It's a great place.

Thanks Aussiebloke for your contribution I really appreciate your effort in enlightening me on what to expect and how to adjust myself so I can fit in......LOL

PEACE!

Well I live in a small town and there's alot ppl from Africa and some afro-Americans myself the racism here was directed mainly towards Muslims but overall aussies are generally tolerant we tend to laugh at ourselves more than others but if you like a beer and are willing to go to the pub chances are youll be accepted more than someone who's standoffish.

Hi

Im signing out guys, but for those who are interested - here is my original post, hope any of the info helps!

Dont be scared of being accepted, just be yourself. Us Aussies dont like people who act "too good" for others or who like to bully people. If you have someone bullying you or "giving you sh**" expect someone to come to your defense. Like any place there are idiots, but generally we have no issues with different cultures or races. Everyone talks about Aussies hating on Americans, and I must admit - Im guilty of it at times, but for me its the white, (Moderated: no vulgarity pls) that dictate to others and put others down that get me. I see it most here in the Philippines..but that's a whole other story!
Australians believe in a "fair go" Yes, we are crude, rude and sarcastic - but only if we like you!
Brisbane is a relaxed city, good weather, plenty to do. The Gold Coast is beautiful, and big on partying. Sydney is great but a bit more expensive and you can find some trouble there sometimes in certain areas. Melbourne is very "artsy" great food and art scene, but very cold. Adelaide is not so great, boring! Perth is nice but remote from the rest of Australia if you plan on travelling, but still developing and lots of opportunities. Hope you find a great place and have the time of your life!

Sweetie my boyfriend is actually Nigerian and my family and friends absolutely love him and are all from the Gold Coast, Adelaide and Sydney.... also my black Canadian friend is also a successful businessman on the Gold Coast who was hired when he first came here as a staff member and then made partner of one of my friends businesses.

And I love your perspective that only black people feel racism... actually it has been harder for me to fit in with the Nigerian women than anything and it embarrasses my boyfriend the way they treat me because i am WHITE! You sit there and say does it matter what kind of black i am... no to me and many others it doesnt... it doesnt matter what color you are... but it seems to matter to you that we are white and have an opinion.

I love everyone of all races...as long as they are nice people the Gold Coast is very multi cultural and I think the biggest key for any race to remember anywhere in Australia EVEN WHITES... is that Australians have a really sarcastic sense of humor... we might say things that you would be offended by but that is not our intention... we do it to everyone and it's usually intended all in good fun... of course there are some idiots as well but if you have a good group of friends if anyone crosses the line the Auzzies will be the first to jump up and defend you.

I suggest you take most things as a joke unless it is clearly meant otherwise... be self confidant but friendly and kind and find good people to hang out with.

Hi to all,

Please note that some off topics posts have been removed from this discussion.

I remind you that the the subject of this discussion is African Americans in Australia.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

mj_girl wrote:

Just as some strange trivia- most african Americans live in blacktown, nsw(western sydney). Don't know why but its a strange co-incedence!

Really?? Didn't know this. There are quite many Africans such as Somalians, Kenyans, Nigerians, Sudanese, etc but I haven't seen any African-Americans.

is there any way you can help me out on how to move to australia , ive been dreaming and hope one day i will be there !i wont give up ! i wanna move to brisbane , Queensland . i need help on what type of visa would i need to live there permanetly and go to college there . i also want to know how to work on a citizenship there as well !

This is the link you would need to see what is required for all visas... http://www.immi.gov.au/

black americans on facebook living in australia

Hi beach6363,

Welcome on the Forum :)

Question : in which sector did you apply for work please ? It is hard but not impossible though.. As there's lot of work opportunities in Australia also some companies in Sydney offers a wide range of employment opportunities even if it depends on your work experiences/skills and qualifications but still you can find work if you really want to earn some money. Try to ask around.. ask your friends or just walk around and drop your resume and just keep it up.

And yes Sydney is an expensive city and yes there's racism but truth is there's racism mostly everywhere else. Try to stay positive and kill them with kindness :)

You should maybe share with us some positive points as well because members are seeking for information and guidance and of course it's good to know some negatives points but please sharing some positive information will be great here even if the thread is dated 2009 :)

Thank you

Maximilien