My son is looking to live in the United States.

Hello, :)

I'm new here, I'm from France and my son is looking to move to the United States alone for work, study and life... :/ But he has got their cousins there. He is 15 years old and I need to know what do I do for him. He knows the American culture and history but he doesn't know how and where to get an "American" id card or something like green cards and visas as he is still a child.

And more his cousins live somewhere in California, but I want to know how could I help him to do it without failure. I allowed and advised him to move there and to live close to his cousins but he said he may do that.

I need your help, advices and tricks about my son's wish, but about me, I still stay in France and I'm French. He wants to move there alone and with his cousins, he can. But I don't think his and my ideas are going to work.

Hi felix75013 & welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.

I invite you to browse through the forum & to download the US Expat Guide.

Good luck,
Harmonie.;)

Thanks, these links might be helpful for my son :). But I still need help and answers about that. Anyone else ?

as an American citizen I don't have much personal experience with visas for the USA, but my guess is that at such a young age, a student visa is the most likely option. I would also hope that at his age you're encouraging him to finish his studies anyway, especially if he is looking for a life abroad. Having education qualifications is a big help when it comes to visa applications.

Thanks, ECS. This may be useful for him. I'll tell him to go to an American school and then to get visas through studies. So anyone else ? The thread is still open for all answers.

felix75013 wrote:

cousins live somewhere in California

Look into a Family Immigration visa:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants … _1310.html

cousins aren't eligible for family-based immigration visas:

"Note: Grandparents, aunts, uncles, in-laws, and cousins cannot sponsor a relative for immigration."

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants … 306.html#1

ECS wrote:

cousins aren't eligible for family-based immigration visas

This is correct, but I also simply said "look into it" for possibilities. Such as, if the parents of the cousins are US Citizens and also in the States, they can sponsor the French parent and the son using Family Fourth Preference (F4):

"Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children, provided the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years of age."

The boy is 15 and a minor so is eligible. But it will entail quite a bit different scenario than the son moving there alone. But felix75013 did already suggest the son's idea to go alone may not work, but also asked for tricks, and this is a completely lawful one since a work visa on a minor is a no-go to start, and education visas are typically for college aged students (and will be very expensive).

Ok, thanks, and if my cousins invite me to move there with my son, is it "eligible" ? Or else, I heard about adoption there, can he adopt my son ?

So I let you suggest something for my son.

Even if the cousin "adopts" your son, your son will still have problems getting a green card or a permanent visa. This is what I recommend:
--  your son needs to finish high school in his country - good grades are important, learning English too.
--  when done w/ high school: go the the American Embassy and ask to apply for scholarships to study here (that's how I came to this country at the age of 19) - his cousins can vouch for him as he needs to have proof that he has some funds.
-- When he is here on a scholarship:
    ----- His visa will eventually expire and he will be asked to go back.
    ------He will need to find a job with a company that will sponsor him OR
-----  Not really a good idea, but it has been an option for many: he can find a good looking, stable, loving American citizen and get married - ----------- EVEN WHEN MARRIED the permanent green card is not automatic. He will have to apply, stay married a few years, wait and make sure his wife goes to the "interview" for permanent status.  If immigration  finds out he got married just for convenience, he will be in trouble, so the marriage must be, or look, real.
So:
1. finish studying
2. get scholarship and technical degree
3. get job w/ company that will sponsor him and get him a work visa
4. OR get married (as a mother, you may not like this option, I know)
5.  Make sure he keeps his job or stays married for at least 5 years

I came here and did exactly the above, many, many yers ago. I have been happily married for several decades now. This road is not easy and will require many sacrifices.

note that this is an extremely old thread so I hope the kid has finished school by now! I'm recommending closing the thread.

Closed