Visiting the Fall of 2013

I have many questions about Panama, but as a first time visitor, I would like to know the best places to see while there, and of course, the places to stay away from. Are the roads decent? I know that's probably a strange question, but I ride motorcycles all over the U.S. and don't particularly like bad road! I just have many questions as I would like to see Panama before I decide where I'll be retiring, and Panama was one on the list as best places to do just that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kurt.....

Kurt,

What would you like to know?  My husband and I live in Boquete (outside of the city). 

You will love knowing that there seems to be a motorcycle group here in David.  I don't have any contact information for them but they fly up and down the road on Sunday's. 

When are you coming to visit?

Best,

Florence

Hi Kurt,

great idea - retire to Panama! Have a look at my blog postcardsfrompanama.net for our experience, and also International Living which has a boatload of information!.

Iris

Thanks for responding to my post, I have so many questions and right now, the last Presidential debate is just coming on. I will get back to you soon as I really want to know everything I can about the area before I get there so my friend and I can get a good idea of where to start. Thank-You again.

Kurt.....

I need to know all about tax structure on retirees, not only with Panama's government, but also with how the irs will deal with US taxes from pensions as well as Social Security. Will the new US policy on transfers from US based institutions to foreign banking systems affect my social security and state pension? Any other financial information would be most helpful? Thank-You all in advance, and I'm sure I'll come up with many more questions.

Kurt.......

Kurt, I suggest you contact internationalliving.com as they have world-wide contacts who know the specifics of US tax ramifications! Good luck as you seek those answers!
Iris

Thanks Iris, I will do tht.

Kurt......

So Far as we can find out the Boquete / David area seems to have the best of everything, maybe not the best in any one thing, but certainly a little of most things and the temperature seems to be very moderate.

Yeah, I'm also talking with a guy who lives in Panama and married to a Panamanian national, his name is Chris, and he is full of great information. He is also a writer and has a blog, let me know if you've seen his blog, or if you would like to find it. He is originally from Ohio.

Kurt......

Everyone in Panama who is an expat seems to have a blog.  I know my husband is writing one - www.globalexplorerclub.wordpress.com -

My suggestion.  Leave your money and your income in the US.  If you haven't lived here for any length of time or if you are just thinking about it do not make the mistake so many make - moving everything here before you know if you are staying long term.  Come and stay 6 months to a year.  See if you like it.  Can you live with the power outages, the heat, the rain, the bugs, the mold.  Yes the cost of living is good and the food is good but can you be happy here. Bring only your clothes and rent a fully furnished place to check it out.

Talk to real people who live here, not the phony organizations who give you what sounds like rose colored answered.  Many people come here and then they realize its not what they were told it was and they leave.  I know, I see the empty homes scattered all over Boquete.

That is very good advice Auntie, I don't plan on jumping ship right away anyway, and I have many other places to look at before actually doing so, I do however want to visit if we get there in the next fall to meet with you and perhaps some others who can fill me in face-to-face.

Kurt.....

I like your hubby's blog too Auntie, I will have to set aside some time to read it, but he's got an interesting way of putting things that I like!!!

Kurt......