Kitchen Appliances

Hello everyone,
Does anyone know where I can get a kitchenaid or a meat grinder with sausage attachment? Also where I can get sausage casings? I have been wanting to make some good Italian sausage.

Thanks in advance.

The best source of information for sausage casings is likely on An Phu Neighbours or Phu My Hung Neighbours (both Google Groups)(membership-free) as there seem to be a lot of housewives whose main occupation is shopping posting there.

The other sources for casings would be butchers, just buying enough fresh for your needs. Ever since I installed a metal detector in abattoir I've never eaten sausages so I couldn't tell you if they use natural or man-made casings.

You could ask at the Halal butchers which fly fresh meat in from New Zealand and Australia and also sell sausages. They must also have casings.

There is a listing of Halal butchers on this webs site -use the search function.

As for meat grinders, most here are human powered. There is a good appliance store on Huynh Tan Phat just the downtown side of Nguyen Thi Thap intersection, Quan 7. Hard too miss - has about a 100 metre store front. (Keep an eye on this post, I will give you precise address in next 2 days)

Alternatively, until you build up volume, you could ask a butcher to grind YOUR meat. List of butchers on this web site, too.

I thought genuine Italian sausage s available at retail here in TP HCM? Try a Google search.

Thanks for the info ! Yeah you can get it but I enjoy making my own of all different types. I was thinking of taking a drive down to Cho Lon Market and seeing if I could find a grinder down there. The biggest concern was finding the casing. Like you said though any actual butcher shop can probably send me in the right direction for that. I will check out the D7 store you mentioned.

Jaitch wrote:

Ever since I installed a metal detector in abattoir I've never eaten sausages

Do you have your own slaughter house, and if so, why did you need to install a metal detector in it?

saigonmonkey wrote:
Jaitch wrote:

Ever since I installed a metal detector in abattoir I've never eaten sausages

Do you have your own slaughter house, and if so, why did you need to install a metal detector in it?

Saw the same thing when I did a tour of a facility.

All processing facilities (at least here in the US) have metal detectors to try and make sure nothing gets through and into the meat/food being prepared and ultimately sold. 

Metal could be embedded in the item, been dropped in accidentally, etc.

Makes you think twice about eating gummy bears too...

Chris NJ:

Good news! I located a good quality, heavy duty domestic meat mincer. Only VND1,145,000.

Two in stock.
VinaTexMart
569 Huynh Tan Phat
Quan 7, TP HCM

Use < www.DiaDiem.com > for a map.

You are on your own for sausage skins.

Easy to locate. From Quan 1, go to Quan 4. Turn LEFT on Hoang Dieu. LEFT on Khanh Hoa.

Proceed to LOTTE MART, where you TURN LEFT (Nguyen Thi Thap). Proceed along Nguyen Thi Thap until the HUGE intersection with Nguyen Van Linh.

GO STRAIGHT,

At first traffic light (about 1 kilometre), after road works, TURN LEFT. This is Huynh Tan Phat.

The store is about 2-300 metres on the right.

Hi Chris. Thanks a lot for all these info. I was also looking for a good meat mincer myself and a good manual sausage maker. And I will be going to Saigon shortly. Is the sausage maker a vertical one like this?

1. But I have a problem with your explanation on where it is. I checked Google Earth and Google Map, and there is a Vinatex Mart in D4 on Khanh Hoi, but it seems to be at the back, rather on So 48. Right?

2. But there seems also to have another Vinatex Mart in D7 at 569 Huynh Tan Phat. Right? So to which one should I go?

3. Someone told me that I could also find all this at the corner of Nguyễn Thái Bình / Calmette, at a place called Horeca, or is it at the crossroads of Nguyễn Thái Bình / Yersin at the Yersin market. Are you familiar with this places?

4. Another person told me also of a place near Conic Garden. I found Conic Garden on Google, but I cannot figure out where exactly where is that store or market. Do you have some info about such a place? It is, I was told, a few hundred meters off the road, but I cannot figure out where… Nothing is showing off on Google.

5. Since I will be looking for some big inox pots, I was told to look for these at Metro Cash N' Carry where they have the best quality. But there are 4 in Saigon. Would Metro C&C Binh Phu be the best place? 

6. (One more) I was also told that there is another area where we can find a lot of resto stuff. I was told again it was in the north somewhere near the airport, but more on Hoang Van thu St., but going sought after crossing Catch Mang Thang Tham. There I'm completely lost…

I will only have 4 days in Saigon (back from Canada, going to Nha Trang) to buy all I need for sausage making, and some big pots for cheese making. I'm bring all the necessary ingredients and other stuff back with me.

If you could tell me the exact addresses, or streets intersections, it would be much easier because after I pinpoint where I'm going on a map, I could easily figure out the way to go by bus or taxi from where I am.

Again, thanks a lot for helping. I will owe you some sausages…

Vinatex is just behind KFC on Khanh Hoi street D4,go through the KFC car park and turn left it's about 100mts on your right.Its Duong So 48 as you stated before.

Thank you Colino!
Here is a small list of things I don't find here in Nha Trang, and it seems that you people in Saigon are spoiled with so much choice. I'm looking for very good quality and precision. Some cheap stuff I bought in the past is gone or useless.
• Measuring cups and spoons
• Digital kitchen balance
• Large inox cooking pots, but bain-marie (double boiler) (15 liters and 25 liters). Like this.
• Manual vertical sausage maker (15 lb.) like this one
• Manual meat mincer (no need for attachments to stuff sausages)
• Chinese wok
• Different cooking thermometers
At the end of January, I will only be in Saigon for a few days on my way back from Québec. Whatever I wouldn't find in Saigon, I have to bring it from Canada with me.
I will be making cheese and sausages. Again, here in Nha Trang, we only have very rare and expensive importation products. Thanks for any help.

Hi all,

On a different subject...

Can anyone recommend a good kitchen cooking appliance store(s) in Saigon?

I'm interested in finding an Instant Pot, the Instant Pot brand if possible in 8 Qt size.

I think the IP brand will be difficult to find in VN, Philips brand is probably more likely but I haven't seen Philips in the 8 Qt size.

Appreciate any ideas or suggestions,

Thx