Buying a property in Fiji

I received a private message but think others might benefit from the dialog, so:

You wrote:
"In Taveuni we found a couple of nice properties, but were unsure whether Savu Savu would be better in terms of having electricity and more services."

Access to electricity, good restaurants, and culture should be a primary consideration when deciding where to locate in Fiji.  I know several expats who previously lived on outer islands but later relocated to Viti Levu so they would have more interactions with other expats, more "european food" in supermarkets, and being close enough to participate, even once in a while, with the performing arts and activities that largely take place in Suva, Nadi or Lautoka.  Taveuni has a much smaller expat communit than Savusavu, which is much smaller than several areas of Viti Levu.

You wrote: 
"Whilst in Taveuni it seemed that a lot of the properties for sale there had been on the market for quite some time and there also seemed to be quite a large percentage of properties for sale. We were a little concerned as to why."

Very perceptive.  I see the same thing near Rakiraki, Ra.  The real estate market in Fiji for expats, has been in a slump since the 2006 coup and the 2008 global rescession.  For Fiji-indian housing, the slump has been since the coups in 1987.  People age, get divorced and die, all of which spur real estate sales.  Fiji is a great place to retire or have a second home, but not if you need emergency medical care. It IS a great buying opportunity, in my opinion, but with risks.

Overall, I'm optimistic about the future of Fiji.

John

I agree with John.  I believe it is a great time to invest in Fiji and see the prices moving up, especially on Viti Levu.  We have invested in property on the Coral Coast and hope to retire there in 2017 and possibly start a small business as well for the tourist industry.