I want to live and retire in Cambodia

HELP!!   I want to live and retire in Cambodia.   But I have researched the visa process on line, and read some blogs.   I have read different explanations.  I have read the instructions on the Cambodia government site, and a professional travel site, ( visahq.com) And some blogs from people in Cambodia.  All the answers are different.  Some say that I should use a lawyer and get a retirement visa.   Some say I should get a one year business visa upon arrival at the Siem Reap airport.   Some sources say I need employer documentation and photos, and a visa application first, to show upon arrival.

Has anyone arrived in Siem Reap recently and gone through the business visa process at the airport.

Please describe the steps you had to go through, once you got off the plane and made it out of the airport with a one year, renewable business visa.

Any information you can send will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Stafford Cowles   (oldsarge)

There is no retirement visa for Cambodia.

Only a tourist visa or business visa, both obtainable very easily, the business visa is $25 for 30 days, then you purchase a 3, 6 or 12 month extension in Cambodia with no employer documentation.

People do not need any documentation on entry to Cambodia for the business visa, only photos.

After your extension runs out can you get another one without leaving the country?

crenvy wrote:

After your extension runs out can you get another one without leaving the country?

Oh yes, no visa runs, just buy another visa in the country. And this can be done over and over again.

Visas can be bought by the official channel, but better to renew your visa on the high street, in a travel agent, your trusted tuk tuk driver, or where ever they advertise it.

It can take 2 days.

Hello all

I have also read advice from other sources and it is stated that a document is required from your employer in Cambodia. As I will be just retiring this isnt possible, can someone please confirm that this document isnt required for a business visa.

Many thanks

Howie

howie2 wrote:

Hello all

I have also read advice from other sources and it is stated that a document is required from your employer in Cambodia. As I will be just retiring this isnt possible, can someone please confirm that this document isnt required for a business visa.

Many thanks

Howie

I am not sure where you got this information from, you are the second person though to mention this.

As a previous poster stated, you need no documents for a business visa in Cambodia.

Dear all

Many thanks for your replies, you have reassured me. However I have put the information I found as below, I found this on web site cambodia.visahq.co.uk

Many many thanks

Howie

2  Mail us the following documents:

aOriginal, signed United Kingdom passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity.
bPassport-type photograph: 1
cItinerary. Copy of round trip tickets or confirmed itinerary.
dBusiness letter. An original signed letter from the UK company detailing the purpose and duration of the visit.
eBusiness invitation. A business invitation letter from the sponsoring company in Cambodia. The letter should be printed on company letterhead stationery, addressed to "The Embassy of Cambodia", and signed by a senior manager (an equivalent to Vice-President or above). The business letter must adhere to the following guidelines:
• Briefly introduce the applicant (please specify employment status/position held in the company by applicant).
• State the nature of the business to be conducted (ie. business meetings, contract negotiations, etc.) and the names and addresses of companies to be contacted in Cambodia.
• Specify the type and desired validity of the visa (ie. a one year multiple entry business visa).

howie2 wrote:

Dear all

Many thanks for your replies, you have reassured me. However I have put the information I found as below, I found this on web site cambodia.visahq.co.uk

Many many thanks

Howie

2  Mail us the following documents:

aOriginal, signed United Kingdom passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity.
bPassport-type photograph: 1
cItinerary. Copy of round trip tickets or confirmed itinerary.
dBusiness letter. An original signed letter from the UK company detailing the purpose and duration of the visit.
eBusiness invitation. A business invitation letter from the sponsoring company in Cambodia. The letter should be printed on company letterhead stationery, addressed to "The Embassy of Cambodia", and signed by a senior manager (an equivalent to Vice-President or above). The business letter must adhere to the following guidelines:
• Briefly introduce the applicant (please specify employment status/position held in the company by applicant).
• State the nature of the business to be conducted (ie. business meetings, contract negotiations, etc.) and the names and addresses of companies to be contacted in Cambodia.
• Specify the type and desired validity of the visa (ie. a one year multiple entry business visa).

A British friend of mine only 3 weeks ago entered Cambodia and bought his 1 month business visa for $25 as usual and was not asked for any documents as usual.

1 week ago another friend of mine from France also did the same.

So I cannot comment on the information found on cambodia.visahq.co.uk

Phnom Penh Services

Many thanks again. The only reason I am a little cautious is that with all the red tape (totally understand why) with retiring in Thailand, Cambodia seems a little easier, and I am having difficulty understanding the drawbacks of Cambodia over Thailand. As I mentioned above, I have been researching Thailand for a couple of years, and now because I have decided to possibly move my attentions to Cambodia due to the fact I can't retire to Thailand for another 2 yrs (moved my possible retirement date to next year sometime) I am wondering why myself and others haven't in the past considered Cambodia as much as Thailand.

Also above you said your friend obtained a business visa for a month without any employment paperwork, I assume that to renew this visa after 1 month would be a straight forward.

Thanks again

Howie

Yes indeed, there is no paper work involved in a business visa renewal.
In fact you don't even need to do it yourself, you can get another person to renew it for you with your passport.

What are the drawbacks to living in Cambodia as opposed to Thailand?

Thailand is well established as a place for expats to stay long term and live, it has all the trappings of a more modern country.
It has far more options for things to do and keep you occupied, it has a dozen or more destinations one can think, Cambodia has no trains or motorways, so it takes hours to get from city to city.
Also in Thailand the internal flights are cheap and frequent with many companies competing, in Cambodia they are not as cheap.

In Thailand the food is cheaper in Pattaya for instance than Phnom Penh, some western places in PP cost a hell of a lot, also the mini-marts in Thailand have everything for the expat, here in Cambodia they don't have the variety or the prices.

And Thailand is more geared up for the retirement people, good hospitals and better infrastructure for them, how about the condo market in Thailand, its advanced, the condos are great value for money, the property market in Cambodia is priced too high.

Cambodia has in my mind failed as yet to market itself on the international tourist scene, think of Thailand and you think of beaches, islands and friendly people (amazing Thailand is the new slogan on TV).

And how about the Philippines (its more fun in the Philippines), even Indonesia has a new slogan to lure in the tourists (wonderful Indonesia).

I think the powers that be in Cambodia need to wake up and push the country on the tourist map more and more, the biggest failure in my mind is Sihanoukville, most people have never heard of it, Cambodia has great beaches and many people miss it.

It could also be the case that the expats in Thailand feel cozy, why move to Cambodia when they have it good already?

As for the expected 20 million tourists to Thailand this year, many now come from China, India and Russia, they can shop in Thailand, have great food, great beaches and book within package holidays, they don't think of Cambodia same same as Thailand.

Its like comparing France with Bulgaria perhaps, they are quite simply not the same and attract people for different reasons.

Many thanks again

My direction may have to be try Cambodia for a while until I reach 50yrs then decide whether to stay or move to Thailand. With greatest regard to Cambodia, Thailand has always been my first choice (visited 12 times already) but with me being only 48yrs I decided to look elsewhere to live in the meantime.

Many thanks

Howie

phnom-penh-services wrote:

Yes indeed, there is no paper work involved in a business visa renewal.
In fact you don't even need to do it yourself, you can get another person to renew it for you with your passport.

What are the drawbacks to living in Cambodia as opposed to Thailand?

Thailand is well established as a place for expats to stay long term and live, it has all the trappings of a more modern country.
It has far more options for things to do and keep you occupied, it has a dozen or more destinations one can think, Cambodia has no trains or motorways, so it takes hours to get from city to city.
Also in Thailand the internal flights are cheap and frequent with many companies competing, in Cambodia they are not as cheap.

In Thailand the food is cheaper in Pattaya for instance than Phnom Penh, some western places in PP cost a hell of a lot, also the mini-marts in Thailand have everything for the expat, here in Cambodia they don't have the variety or the prices.

And Thailand is more geared up for the retirement people, good hospitals and better infrastructure for them, how about the condo market in Thailand, its advanced, the condos are great value for money, the property market in Cambodia is priced too high.

Cambodia has in my mind failed as yet to market itself on the international tourist scene, think of Thailand and you think of beaches, islands and friendly people (amazing Thailand is the new slogan on TV).

And how about the Philippines (its more fun in the Philippines), even Indonesia has a new slogan to lure in the tourists (wonderful Indonesia).

I think the powers that be in Cambodia need to wake up and push the country on the tourist map more and more, the biggest failure in my mind is Sihanoukville, most people have never heard of it, Cambodia has great beaches and many people miss it.

It could also be the case that the expats in Thailand feel cozy, why move to Cambodia when they have it good already?

As for the expected 20 million tourists to Thailand this year, many now come from China, India and Russia, they can shop in Thailand, have great food, great beaches and book within package holidays, they don't think of Cambodia same same as Thailand.

Its like comparing France with Bulgaria perhaps, they are quite simply not the same and attract people for different reasons.

this is probably the best comment i have read on this forum... so true and objective... thanks for this one... and happy new year :)

The documentation you refer to is a requirement for a work permit in Cambodia.You only need this if you are going to be employed as opposed to self employed or not working at all. To reiterate what has already been said- To live in Cambodia permanently you only need to arrive at the airport with 2 passport photo's, ask for a 30 day ordinary visa( they are no longer called business visa's, they are now called ordinary visa's),pay $25usd then before it runs out, go to any travel agent and tell them you want a 3,6 or 12 month multi entry visa.12 months will cost you aprox $280usd.You never(under the existing rules)need leave the country again,just renew every year.If by chance you are late renewing you will be charged an extra $5 a day for the first 30 days and then $6 a day after 30 days.
Simple as that!

Just come to Cambodia and get a 1 year tourist visa then start talking with people here a year visa is under 200 dollars.

Sorry kwest, you are completely wrong.A tourist visa is single entry only, valid for 30 days and can be extended once only for an additional 30 days.After that you must leave the country.There is NO such thing as a 12 month tourist visa.See my post above for the correct information on Cambodian visa's.

You are 100 % wrong  did you read any other post here.....

you can get 1,3,6 and 12 month....go to any travel agency or your local embassy in PP..If your in Thailand you have to leave and do a border run...

kwest,you specifically said you can get a 12 month TOURIST visa. I suggest you try the embassy website. There is NO  such thing.I reiterate- a tourist visa is single entry only, valid for 30 days and may be extended once only for an additional 30 days. The only visa available for 3,6 or 12 months is the "ordinary" visa.Get your facts right mate. Misinformation causes trouble for people.

This is just taken from the Australian governments "Smart Traveller" website

Tourist visas are valid for thirty days only. If issued outside Cambodia, tourist visas will often provide for a validity period that is in excess of thirty days. This validity period refers to the period in which you are able to commence your thirty day visit to Cambodia. It does not extend the time you are permitted to stay in Cambodia beyond thirty days. Tourist visas must be renewed if you intend to stay in Cambodia in excess of thirty days. Tourist visas can be renewed once.

I dont know how long you lived in Cambodia but if you noticed its not all black and white its GREEN......

Visa extensions are issued by the large immigration office located directly across the road from Phnom Penh International Airport.

There are two ways of getting an extension (one official and one unofficial) and, unsurprisingly, the time and money involved differ greatly. Officially, a one-month extension costs US$35, three months US$65, six months US$125, and one year US$200; your passport will be held for 25 days and there will be more paperwork than a communist bureaucrat could dream up. This is fine for expats with an employer to make the ­arrangements, but those on their own really need to go unofficial. They don't call it corruption in Cambodia but ‘under the table', and you can have your passport back the next day for the inflated prices of US$45 for one month, US$80 for three months, US$165 for six months and US$265 for one year. Once you are one of the ‘unofficials', it is pretty straightforward to extend the visa ad infinitum. Travel agencies and some motorbike rental shops in Phnom Penh can help with arrangements, sometimes at a discounted price.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/cambodia/pr … z2I7Ac9V00

Mate, you specified a TOURIST visa.The information you give is correct for an "ORDINARY" or what used to be called "BUSINESS" visa.But completely wrong for a "TOURIST" visa.I would suggest to the OP that he pay the extra $5 on arrival for the latter visa so in 60 days he doesn't have to do a border run and start the process all over again.

Ok you are so right ,,,,,,,,,,Sorry I must have been doing it wrong for the past 9 years now....If the auusie embassy says thats how you do it ..Have fun...I give up you are the master of the Visa

This quote comes direct from the Lonely Planet link you provided mate.Time in country does not equate to knowledge.

"Those seeking work in Cambodia should opt for the business visa as, officially, it is easily extended for long periods and, unofficially, can be extended indefinitely, including multiple entries and exits. A tourist visa can be extended only once and only for one month, and does not allow for re-entry."

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/cambodia/pr … xzz2I7e8rN

And thats my last word on this subject

Ok heres the bottom line it does not matter if it says buisness visa tourist visa or evisa or what ever.  If you want to stay in Cambodia you can extend as long as you want as long as you pay. If you come on a tourist visa you can extend it as long as you want as long as you pay they have changed the name of the visas so often but never how they do buisness. Im sorry u have such a hang up on calling it a buisness or tourist visa the Cambodians just want the money.So to end this back in forth BS about your hang up with TOURIST VISA you win .When you go renew see if they care what you want to call it.Next month it will change again and they will name it something else.If you over stay you just pay a dailey fine and wont even be deported because you just have to pay MONEY.I am out..You once again can quote who ever you like WOW

Dear Stafford Cowles
Thank you for your interesting to our retired in Cambodia
I'm a local people. I would like to answer to your question that is references to our my experiences one time I arrangement.

Last year we do arrangement for Srei Langka guy for Business visa at arrive of airport> we apply for business Visa for him one week before but until arrived time Police allow only Tourist Visa.

The reason of Police why they can't make into business visa it's dependent on the country the people come from? as like you.

There are 9 countries became to black list like country don't have safety...

But srei Langka is not on the black list but we need to prepared paper and comment from company in Cambodia as hotel or other company to comment that we come for work at that hotel or company and that company or hotel have to responsible to the police.

We would like to know what is your nationality?

Best regards,

Sok Sarath
Tel: +855 12 80 80 22

Hi Stafford

Everyone has a different story or advice.  And usually it's contra to the first
Here is mine.  And it's easy
Arrive at the airport and seek a working visa for the period.     Pay $us25.  And hence your in
Before your visa is up  go to a travel agency and seek a 12 month working visa.   Their is one on the southern end corner of Pub Street.           Takes about 7 days and cost approx $290 us
This can be repeated. Currently as long as required.     Meet one Frenchman
who has been in SR 16 years
Enter and depart  Cambodia as much as required
Bank Accounts.       Go to ABA  bank and they will open account as required
You can rent a property here. But cannot buy. Unless  you do a deal with a Khmer person    But be careful
I came to basically  do little but I'm still thinking business even though I'm 67 and living with a sweet Khmer  girl of 28       She has learn English ang I'm enjoying living  like royalty
My suggestion. Be respectful ; don't flaunt your good fortune. Sow your seeds and reel your just rewards without insult or abuse
Good luck
Michael

You can rent a property here. But cannot buy. Unless  you do a deal with a Khmer person    But be careful

Legislation passed at the beginning of April 2010 allows foreigners to own property in Cambodian buildings above the ground floor. This works well for apartments in condominiums or even older buildings in cities but not for a villa in a residential area except if you can manage to buy the upper floor.

The advice here is all over the place.

It's simple you have to buy an ordinary visa (sometimes called a business visa) on arrival for $25. This can be extended at any travel agent in town on a yearly basis for $280-$300 a year. The yearly version is multiple entry - your initial one month visa is single entry.

A tourist visa can only be extended for 1 month, then you have to do a border run to Poipet. So don't get one of those.

There is no retirement visa for Cambodia. Almost everyone can get a visa on arrival in Cambodia (for less paperwork, hassle, costs, etc than using an agency or an embassy to do it).

Only Howie again

I am hopefully (as I have always found on here) a little bit of advice. I visited Thailand December 2012 for a month and have decided to retire there when I am 50yrs old (that's the plan anyway). However, I am at present only 48yrs old and are thinking of retiring this year or early 2014 when I will be only 49yrs old. Can anyone give me any reason as to not spend the year before I am 50yrs old in Cambodia.

I know it's a very basic question, I have read forums for many many months, but have decided this week that I do now wish to leave England before I am 50yrs, so I am (as you can see) starting with a very basic question.

Many many thanks in advance of any help

Howie

Thank you for this information.  Please alert the forum if requirements change.  Thanks, again.

Hello Phase Three ---> a little introduction may be?

To who are you replying ?

Thanks

Karen :)

Cambodia is a horrible place...many foreigners die there..

Check travelling mark website the truth is on there..

@ Steve stevie,

I don't know from where you get this information!
I was in Siem Reap for 2 weeks this month and talked with a lot of expatriates who live there since 13/14 years as we are pondering to retire there. and they told me that there is quasi no problem.
More over I have myself seen that Cambodians are very friendly. Give them a smile and they smile back which apparently is not the case in VN.
Enjoy your day
Arlette

Hi Arletta

Looks like you have strange info...
so all I can say is wishing you good Luck
and Happiness there...but I would say spend more
than 2 weeks there before you make any big decisions..

I give you 3 links that may help you and this is not
where my info comes from...
My info is from living in Scambodia for over 17 years..

http://www.travelingmark.com/cambodia/v … e-against-http://www.travelingmark.com/topic/crim … -cambodia/http://www.travelingmark.com/cambodia/c … -advisory/

Best Regards ... and Take Care...Good Luck...

Thank you so much for your solid information!, thanks to you I know what I need do regarding visa upon entry.  Now all I need to learn is pretty much everything else! pertaining to my Cambodian retirement.  I'm sure my individual questions would be graciously addressed here on the forum, but is there one reference you would be able to recommend that would answer the important stuff, like bank accounts; sending of monthly pension checks, etc?

I'm a brand new member of the forum, and thank everyone in advance for their kind assistance!

Tourist visa is single entry and only good for 30 days and this is the way it has been since I came in 2008 no name changes here. Maybe you are confused with some other country.......Cameroon? Columbia?

This is what I understand:
Travel to Cambodia with a tourist visa and once in town go to a travel agency and pay to have a one year business visa.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

You are not wrong. That worked for me very well.

You may get the business visa (Now called an ordinary visa) at the airport.  Extensions may be obtained many places - tourist offices, travel agent - Easy!

Yep. I've been renewing my business (now ordinary) visa every year for the past 7 years. Nothing to it.

I know this conversation is from last year and would like a headsup on the regulations for the business visa. Is it still as easy to get one?

We would be arriving 3 adults + 1 child 9 years. The adults can receive a business visa, yes? but what about the child? We would like to enroll him at the French school in Siem Reap.

Thanks in advance for any information you could forward.