New law frustration :S

Hola!i am Kostis from Greece and i am currently living in Sfm..i came in the DR for the first time two years before and stayed here for 23 days to meet from close with my girl that is from here...then i went back to Greece and prepared my papers so i can come here and live permanently..i returned to DR on the 17th of May ready to start a life here and marry my girl only to discover some days later that a new law has passed,a thing that made me completely frustrated...imagine my surprise when i discovered that i did all the paper procedures for nothing because 2 weeks after i came in the country a law has passed that makes me have to return to Greece to make new papers for the provisional residency..i am living in the DR for four and a half months now and the time that my legal staying here will finish is coming...i wanted to ask if there is anything i can do to do the papers here without having to make such a costly travel that will cause me many problems as i am on the road for a permanent job here..please help me with ur expertise on that and also if u know please inform me regarding the penalties that i will face if i stay in the country for more than the legal time of 6 months...

thanks in advance!
Kostis

Kotis,
I sent you a PM. Like I said you should contact a lawyer.

Bob K

Yes you will need the assistance of a lawyer to navigate this.  There have been, and I am told, will be many more changes to the system.  There was a window of opportunity to get things done without leaving the country but that expired I believe on August 1.  If you need a recommendation for a good lawyer, just ask.

Hi Kotis,

Sorry for my bad English, but i have a good new for you.
In Santo Domingo city, Washington Av # Shromburg , you have an office of " Cancilleria" this is a goverment office. You can go at the second flor to the "departamento de visa"  from 9 am to 2 pm with your passport, and explain your case. A friend of mine did the same some week ago, now he is working on the " residencia provisional"
Goog luke.

I believe that planner is correct in that that avenue to get things started ended in August and now everyone needs to start the process from thier home country.

Bob K

WELL, That is correct, the right way to be resident now, is to come from our country with the visa of residence , but is still exist the possibility to explain your particular  case at the visa department of the chancellery.
In the case of KOSTIS, it is very clear that he was arriving in the middle of new rules , and it is easy to explain that. The person in charge , is a very comprehensive guy. What is the cost to go and try, comparatively to return to Greece, to start all the process again….?

just if interrested:
Cancilleria phone: 809 987 7001   (must speak spanish) I think it is very important to call just to get an appointment , and then explain the situation front at the officer.

this is the form, you have to fill 
http://www.consuladord.com/en/Formulari … nglish.pdf

Hola!

at first i would like to say thanks to everyone that replied to my post and sorry for my late answer but i was busy travelling and running for the papers..Unfortunately the response of Yann Darius on my mail came one day before i leave from the DR to return back to Greece so there was nothing i could do...i'm at Greece now following the formal procedures for the residencia visa and trying to learn the rules about the permanent residencia having problems 'cause,as always,noone on the consulate here or the ministry there can answer my questions..guess i should ask the lawmaker in person.. :P

thanks again for your help!

kostis.m wrote:

Hola!

at first i would like to say thanks to everyone that replied to my post and sorry for my late answer but i was busy travelling and running for the papers..Unfortunately the response of Yann Darius on my mail came one day before i leave from the DR to return back to Greece so there was nothing i could do...i'm at Greece now following the formal procedures for the residencia visa and trying to learn the rules about the permanent residencia having problems 'cause,as always,noone on the consulate here or the ministry there can answer my questions..guess i should ask the lawmaker in person.. :P

thanks again for your help!

We always try to help.  I can tell you asking the "lawmaker in person"   -  lol -  what makes you think He or She will understand..... ROFLMAO

Planner that was funny,
I hope he understands that if he asks 5 people who know the law and what is going on he most likelly will get 6 different answers.

Bob K

Bob K wrote:

Planner that was funny,
I hope he understands that if he asks 5 people who know the law and what is going on he most likelly will get 6 different answers.

Bob K

Thanks Bob......  And if you go back and ask the same people the same question 1 day later..........yikes .....  6 new answers! 

We love this country...........

Yes we love it!
Just bring lots of CASH!

o
OK, so just what is the cost for a residencia permit?
Tomas.

well Tomas depends how you do it!!! By yourself - maybe about US 600 to US 700. With a lawyer anywhere from 1,000 to over 2,000, it depends who you get to do it for you.

I use Wilson Rood here in the capital,  great guy, well spoken (English and Spanish) and fairly priced.  If you want a quote email him at [email protected]

Gracias. I live in Cabrera.
I have been to SD 5 times.
That was 5 times too many!
It's nuts there.
Yappy yappy later!
Tomas.

It's a bummer with all these new laws, even for the residency renewals, but I've heard it should be changed again by the end of the year - hopefully back to the easier process like before :)

I would be thrilled if it was changed back!!!!! It is ridiculous what they have done, even the lawyers hate it.

Mine is due for renewal next April and I am hoping something changes by then for sure.

Bob K

Unfortunately mine was due couple months ago, so I had to do it by the new rules - all over again (almost) - the medical exam, asset confirmation, etc. It was much easier before and much cheaper too! I had to do almost everything again - medical exam first, wait 10 - 14 days for the results and then get back and do the renewal and cedula (if you need as well). Hopefully it will get back to the old system, or at least less complicated

we can only hope!!!

demi56  were you able to renew for longer than two years?

Bob K

Not yet Bob K, I still had to do 2 years. My husband did for 4 years and the next time he can do 8 which is the maximum right now. But who knows how it will be then

Well, I guess I will just wait & see what the new laws say.
There is nothing wrong with staying here 6-9 months & pay the price at the airport every time? Not yet anyway.

Since this will be our third renewal I am hoping for 8 years this time.

Bob K

no problem yet Tomas!!!!

Bob K if you have the last one for 2 years you can get the next one for 4 years, you cannot skip to 8 ;)

I guess it will be 4 years then this time.  Still lots better than every 2 years.

Bob K