Re Cuenca: Having a Stinking Spell

What we call a "sinking spell" is a steep drop in mood, aka a depression, perhaps momentary.  A Stinking Spell is a sinking spell that stinks.

Maybe it's just Dreaming giving way to Reality.

I'm coming to Cuenca for a 90-day holiday, which I intend will morph into a permanent relocation. So, what that looks like in the mind is walking and learning and improving my Spanish and making new friends and having a cerveza and.... 

But I just put down Connie Pombo's book, 101 Questions about Cuenca, and, whew!  Excellent book.  But, "bring these twelve documents, get them translated, appostilled, notarized, stamped, approved; leading (you hope)to Document A; then B, then prove you receive at least $800/ month; then apply for Doc't C; pay an attorney Big Bucks; must go to Quito, etc, etc."

Seems like a VERY lengthy, arduous, expensive, unhappy, chancy process.  How to have fun with all that hanging over you?

As Mad Magazine used to say, "Who's covering up?"

At the risk of my getting the yellow flag for Forum Overuse, I ask...wassup guys?

Dick

Dick, welcome to your first lesson in Patience 101.  Unless Connie is constantly updating her book the rules have probably changed five times since she published it.  The key is to get a good attorney (I'm on my third one who I can confidently recommend if you write me)to guide you through the process.  Several thousand of us have completed residency requirements successfully and so can you.  Believe it or not it's easier now than a year ago.  Have faith!

Many expats come here without any research or inquiry about what they need for getting the Visa or docs for moving and then all the process takes more time and more money.

Is not as bad as it looks if you do some research and you get your docs in advance. Is important to know is not just the docs, they also have to be translated and apostilled.

Is easier if you hire a lawyer but is going to cost you extra money, but now you have the chance to apply for the Visa by yourself.

Vinny

If your pull through the initial frustration, you will find how life in Ecuador is rewarding, you are arriving when things are looking more organised! years ago it wasnt just a hassle it was a nightmare but things do get better overtime...

Halo!
Yes  Loving E..  is right in the past  was  Horrible.... Even me Ecuadorian Girl .used to Hate all this  situation, then   I moved to Usa,I love the difference ,but in here a lot of  things change in a few Months in here I have to recognize is a big change,still is a lot for work to, but  believe me is better now.

Visa regs are subject to change.  Rule of thumb, if something was required in the past, but not now...get it anyway.  It may come back.  I have read of people here in Cuenca who went to the visa office and got their visas in about two months without an attorney.  For us it was a cost benefit analysis:  is the hassle worth the pay off?  We thought so and went through the hoops.  But once it is done, that is the end of it.  The visa is valid for the life of your passport.  It can then be renewed.

Would I do anything different now that I went through the process?  You bet, I wouldn't stress about it like I did.

Immigration, no matter what country, is a nightmare.

Mike

I have to agree with Dick. They say they want us there and then make it a nightmare to do it. Canada does not have an apostile agreement with Ecuador so that adds to it, plus our police check is not as easy as it seems for Americans. Different country, different rules. Would really like to talk to Canadians who have done this.
  Bryan