Visas and immigrations rules for citizens of India and Pakistan

As Brazil Expert I get a great many private messages from expats wanting information on visas and other immigration issues, which thank goodness I am able to provide them with. Always I try to help them resolve problems and give them common sense advice on the situations they find themselves in.

Recently I have had a number of communications with a man from India who wants to come to Brazil in order to marry his Brazilian girlfriend and not too long ago with another man in Pakistan needing information about the rules for obtaining a Tourist Visa. In researching the websites for the Consulado-Geral do Brasil em Mumbai and Consulado-Geral do Brasil em Islamabad (which is responsible for Pakistan) it is painfully clear that the Brazilian government has set the bar exceedingly high for citizens of these countries who wish to obtain visas when compared to other countries. All one need do is have a quick look at the consular websites (Google them) to see what I mean.

No, it is not just or fair. But, it is a fact of life and the Brazilian government has every right legally to set the standards however they wish for each country. I did want to share with all members from India and Pakistan my recent reply to Sharis who is upset, and rightly so. Sadly there is nothing that I or anyone else can do about it. That's just the way things are! So if you're coming from either of those countries - don't expect it to be easy. It will be harder than for most other countries.

Hi Sharis,

I can't speak for the Brazilian government because I am not part of the government, just another foreigner who lives here permanently. However it does really appear that they view anyone (rich or poor) coming from India and Pakistan as 'economic refugees' who pose a risk of remaining in the country after their visas expire should the be allowed in. I must agree that the government has really set the standards very high for citizens of India and Pakistan when compared to the requirements for citizens of most other countries.

Sad to say the situation is sort of like the old question...Why can't an elephant pass through the eye of a needle? The answer is... That's just the way it is!!! While you have every right to the indignation you feel about the situation, the only thing you can do is accept it as a brutal fact of life and try to obtain the documents and meet all the requirements that they ask for. The best way to beat them, the one that will give most satisfaction, is to beat them at their own game. Provide everything they ask for and come here and be happy no matter how difficult they have made it.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

it is highly surprising to read this that they view indians as economic refugees (pakistanis may be economic refugees as they have fu**** up their place). indians are like jews they are business people not refugees. In fact we see many european countries as economic refugees in india.

Hi Manish,

You may well be right in what you are saying, but unfortunately that's the way the prevailing attitude of the government here in Brazil is. They simply look at the percentage of the population which lives in poverty which even you must admit is quite high when compared to the percentage of wealthy citizens in India and they have decided to simply not take the chance of letting too many Indians or Pakistanis into Brazil for fear they may not leave the country. Citizens of the two countries have a lot of obstacles put in their way, a lot more hoops to jump through in order to obtain visas than do most other people. Not nice - I agree, but it is the government's right to decide things like this.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

thank you sir. for your precious advice.

Well James is very much right since I have been looking the behavior of Brazilian embassy at New Delhi since last couple of years towards unmarried Indian boys. It will be improved as our diplomatic relationship will strengthen. Keep trying guys, never ever ever give up. Cheers;)