5 good reasons for living in Martinique

Hi,

if someone asks you the best reasons for making the choice to live and stay in Martinique, what would be your top 5?

Thanks in advance for participating,

Julien

Hi Julien
I would really like to know the answer to this question.
My partner and I are wanting to move to Martinique but can't find anybody who has made this move and would be willing to share with us what they have learned in the process.
What do you recommend?
Thanks,
Anita & Scott

Same with us, would really want to get in contact with people who has made the move and learn from their experience.

L&M

Hi, just got back from Martinique, and loved it :-)

Very laid back, except the traffic :-) Trying to drive slowly to see stuff was difficult. Good food, nice people, beautiful scenery, clean and it felt very safe there (south, Caribbean side of island)
And not that expensive as we expected.

Have a few things to sort out here before we decide. If we make the move, we have already checked out french classes, long term rentals etc.

We have been living on islands before, lesser than Martinique, have EEC passport and the only thing that concerns us is the matter of making the move as a move to primary home (get our stuff tax-free) or a secondary home (taxes applies)

We're thinking the language to be the most important issue to be solved so far. Met up with a few expats to, they were very helpful :-)

OK, things has progressed :-) Our stuff has been placed at a storage center, ready to be picked up by the moving company. Going to rent a vacation home to start with, then find a long term rental and get our stuff down there. Talked to the French embassy, we're good to go :-) Health insurance is included as well, hopefully we won't need it. PUH....... :D

OK, we're ready to go. Apt rented for 3 months while looking for a house :-) Leaving in 12 days :-)

Hello Larsan.

Just to remind you that this thread title is 5 good reasons for living in Martinique. If you want to discuss another subject, do not hesitate to start a new thread on the Martinique forum. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

1. Adequate Internet, so I can work remotely
2. Weather. It's always nice (although, I might miss a change of season)
3. People. Nicest people I've seen in a long time.
4. Flight availability - if I need to travel to US or Europe - there are plenty of options.
5. Food. Best food I had outside of Europe and it's cheap.
6. Cheap real estate - we can buy a nice place walking distance to the beach in a good area for $200K