5 good reasons for living in Panama

Hi,

if someone asks you the best reasons for making the choice to live and stay in Panama, what would be your top 5?

Thanks in advance for participating,

Julien

The main reason we live in Panama is Freedom
Freedom from stress with a much different pace of life and friendly people
Freedom from high cost of living, 2 people out for dinner with drinks, $30, lunch $6.50, breakfast $5, rent on an apartment across from the bay $400, utilities $20
Freedom from out of control government policies, infinite QE3
Freedom from snow,
Incredibly beautiful country with a diversity of topography and climate. 2 oceans, tropical mountains, lush rainforest

Great Question.

The scenery.  Panama is beautiful.
The people.  The locals are incredibly nice.
The weather.  No snow, no ice.  Yes, it rains, but it's warm.
The costs.  We rent a fully furnished home, with all utilities, high speed wireless internet, washer/dryer, cable TV for $550 a month.
Food.  We no longer eat processed or canned or any foods with high fructose corn syrup (that's the imported stuff that costs a fortune).  I have fresh veggie's and fruits delivered to my door on Tuesdays from a local vendor and on Saturday's they deliver fresh fish.  Our food budget, $300 a month.  We eat out only one a month.  The whole point in moving was to spend less.  You can do that here.

Yes, great question:

1. The scenery - Panama is so beautiful and you have so many options. I just visited a beach town, right on the ocean, yet, right across the street the road climbs upwards, and you find yourself in a mountain/hillside community with rivers and lakes. And Panama City is only about 45 minutes to an hour's drive away.

2. Medical - I visited an emergency room in a small town called San Carlos, about a week ago, where I had my blood pressure checked and my blood sugar level checked, and it only cost me $1. One dollar. That's nuts. My copay in the U.S. was $30. So I would've paid $30 before I even got in to see the doctor. A doctor in the city charges $4 for routine visits. Major operations here are much cheaper than you'd find in the U.S. too.

3. Opportunity - In many ways (not always in the city), Panama is still very young. Like the U.S. in the 50's. Many small towns don't even have a bakery yet, and if they do, it's probably very local meaning you won't find French bread or Italian bread. Most places have internet cafes, but they're just a room with old computers hooked up. The cafe part of it means you can buy a bag of chips. That means there's room for a nice, internet cafe, with sofas and coffee being served. Life can be whatever you want it to be.

4. The People - Panamanians are very laid back and friendly. And they're used to us being here, unlike many other countries. The U.S. occupied the canal zone for so long that seeing gringo faces is the norm.

5. So close to the U.S., but not the U.S. What I mean by this is it's got the same time zone as many U.S. states, meaning you can call home and not worry about the hour, it's easy to fly home as there are so many flights directly to the State, and Panama uses the U.S. dollar, meaning you don't have to worry about all that exchange rate hubbub.

6. (sorry I had to add one last advantage) - The ease of living - I love that if I forget to buy bread at the supermarket, I can find a guy in the median selling fresh, soft bread for $1. I've bought bags of tomatoes and limes and lentils and green peppers...all while never leaving my car. In many small towns, local vendors sell fish from coolers on the back of their motorcycles (that they picked up from fishermen fresh at the dock), plus you can find flowers, fruits, and vegetables in the backs of pickup trucks. In many ways Panama is just a relaxed lifestyle. It's great.