Ethnic hair care in Saudi Arabia

Hi there,

Does anyone know whether there are any black or ethnic hair salons in Saudi Arabia?

I will be moving to Riyadh soon am hoping that keeping my hair did won't be a problem?

Any advice or comments will be appreciated.

Hello Marista.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Thanks Aurélie :-)

@M  Hi and welcome to the forum! Although I don't know of any such salons, there MUST be some because there are many black Saudis in addition to expats. 

You'll find out when you get here, I'm sure :)

Thanks Alliecat. I'm sure I will find out. I just like to be organized :-)

There should be plenty catering to natural ethnic hair, , however  hair extensions, weaves and wigs are islamically prohibited and therefore I think  may be harder to find.

Then again I'm not in Saudi ad plenty that is islamically prohibited still gets performed

Thanks. That's a bit of a bummer though :-(

Hello marista...welcome to Expat.com :)!
there's no such thing as a salon that caters to etnic hair here but from my experience filipino hair dressers are good at handling etnic hair.

Thanks Heba M. Do you know if the Filipinos hair dressers do braiding and weaving?

Kind Regards.

Weaves don't exist in salons here....sometimes in the ads i see some salons have hair extensions.

Ah, that's a bummer!

Thanks anyway :-)

salons do relaxing treatments as well as brazillian keratin treatments.

you are in which city, HEBA?

Marista, You can get weaves and extensions in the Kingdom, but it is limited to people working out of the homes and such. I know of some ladies at work who get their hair done with weaves and the stylist provides the hair, though if you want to bring/buy your own abroad, I don't think you'll have trouble finding someone to braid it. :)

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your responses and assistance.

Hi Marista
Did you ever find the Ethnic Hairdressers Shop?
I'll be out there in the Summer and am wondering what will happen if and when I have a need for one...
Londonmade

Hi Marista,

I'm African-American. There are many salons to choose from in Riyadh. If you can find one with Somali, Ethiopian, Eritean or even Moroccan hair dressers, they know how to do ethnic hair.

Hi Afro-American. 

My moniker is Londonmade and I'm afro-British.
Do you know of any ethnic hairdressers?
Needless to say - I will also look for a few - when I arrive in the region.

Thanks
Londonmade

Hi Londonmade,

Actually my name is Tara and I was saying that I'm African-American. I can't recommend a particular hairdresser since I started doing my own hair. But my sister-in-law knows a person close to the family who owns a salon. They are "Black" Saudis.

Hello everyone,how are ya?I would love to find some salon where I can make my hair as beyonce ,I am new here in Riyadh! I would love to get to know some expats as myself!This might be old post but hope someone would know something!Thank u so much!

Calentica87 wrote:

Hello everyone,how are ya?I would love to find some salon where I can make my hair as beyonce ,I am new here in Riyadh! I would love to get to know some expats as myself!This might be old post but hope someone would know something!Thank u so much!

I'm sure you will find a lot, the place behind Kingdom Hotel and the street next to Jareer Olaya has a lot of Salons, just browse around

Hi Marista,

I'm African American in Riyadh and I'm also looking for a good hair stylist. Let me know if you find someone!  Either way, I'd be great to meet you. How long will you be in the Kingdom?

Kind regards,

Yasinia

Selaam Tara,

Do you have any phone numbers of hair dressers you can share?
Also, do you do other folks hair as well as your own?? :D
It be great to make new friends here. I'm African American as well.

Take care was selaam

Calara

[Moderated: no free ads on the forum pls]

Can you recommend any for brazilian?

I'm also in need of a hair dresser to to my braids. I'm male by the way! 
I don't know how that's gonna happen unless there's someone living on an expat compound. Totally segregated society. I read about it before coming over but it's a shock to the system all the same. I feel like I'm living in a different century!

If you go over to Bahrain there are lots of Ethiopian hair salons and they do amazing styles.

http://www.expatriates.com/cls/21973672.html

Here is a link you can use