Teaching in Abu Dhabi

Thanks for the reply !!!

Hopefully someone can supply some comment on the quality of the accommodation.

Thanks Climber & Sandman - much appreciated !!!!

BUT - if she thinks I'm getting "Malled out" then shes got no chance !!!!! - Electronic shopw - YES, clothes and other rubish - NO WAY !!

Cheers all for the help

Wirefan ( Cymru am byth )

Oh yeah? Just you wait!!! ha ha.

HIII*
This blog is so helpfull!
My question is, is it possible for my husband and I to find work once we have completed our online tefl course... without a degree? We are hoping to complete it and make the big move end April.
Thanks*

Hi, I think you would be VERY lucky to get employment without a drgree out here now !!  Sorry to sound so pessimistic BUT ADEC are insisting on this now and it has filtered through to the various providers.  In the state system schools use Licenced teachers from USA, Australia etc to teach english !!??  In the private system there are MANY teachers now available as job opportunities decrease so they are very choosey now.  Be careful to check out any provider who "guarantees" employment as ADEC have a history of making changes at the last minute - i met a guy recently who was strapped into his plane seat only to get a text saying his contract would not now happen !!!!!!!  He arrived and flew straight back to no job there either !!
Ive probably just burst your bubble and for that I AM terribly sorry but you need to know the realities of getting started out here.  I'll shut up now !!

hi im considering moving to abu dhabi to teach in a private school.  any tips thanks marie (liverpool)

Hi Wirefan, hope you don't mind my getting intouch but saw your post and I am from Wrexham - so it seemed rude not to!!

I am seriously thinking of trying to get work in Abu Dhabi and wondered if you could help.  I have a degree in Spanish and a TESOL Cert, a PGCET which is Post 16 teaching qualification. I have supported in secondary schools(TA,Cover Supervisor and Mentor) and taught Literacy (18yrs -21yrs) for 3yrs in a Young Offenders Prison. I'm not Secondary qualified but am going to apply for QTLS in April. Could you suggest a good agency please or anyone I might be able to contact? I don't think I "fit the box" qualifiacation wise but have loads of life experience (prior to 10 yrs in education, 14yrs in tavel and tourism overseas) and strong motivational skills.  I would be very grateful for some help and suggestions. Thanks

Hi all I'm new to this si I'm just saying hi.

I am a Chemistry teacher with a PGCE and a masters qualification currently working in Yorkshire.  Me and my husband are hoping to move to the Abu Dhabi or Dubai this summer.  I've been looking for jobs on the TES website mostly and although there have been a few there hasn't really been anything suitable come up in Abu Dhabi yet (all have had worrying reviews on the forums) I have applied for a position at The English College in Dubai though and have my fingers crossed.

Reading this has been really helpful and I'll look forward to reading some more of your insights soon.

Lynsi xx

Oops forgot to ask.  Will my husband be able to get work if I come over on a teaching contract?  He is a qualified and time served joiner, he also has 10yrs experience as manufacturing manager of furniture and as a sales executive :)

I am a novice at this but would like to know where you have read worrying reviews re Abu Dhabi please - so I may read them too as know very little!! Re Dubai,that would be a fantastic place to work, I visited a friend there last month.I noticed there were positions advertised for females able to work on husband's visa but I don't know if it works the other way around sorry although don't see why it shouldn't. The newspaper "The Gulf News" had a section on Jobs and Careers I think that would be worth a look at.  Fingers crossed for you

Hey Herbert123

i'm so sorry you miss understood me, reviews of Abu Dhabi are generally fantastic it was reviews of specific schools that were advertising for science teachers that were not always flattering.

When a job is advertised like anyone else out of noseyness i usually google the schools name and the word review to get an idea of what parents and teachers think of it.  There have been very few schools in Abu Dhabi advertise for science teachers to date but the couple that came up did not have very favourable reviews, this has been the same for quite a few of the school in Dubai too.

Is always good to get an idea i guess its a long way to come and be miserable.  Thanks for the heads up on jobs, i'm hoping with all the construction that he wouldn't struggle to find work, he'd be bored as a house husband :)

Thank you for that.  It would be great to know how you get on with Dubai College, I did drive past it and it looked very nice.  Are you a Science teacher or English. If you let me know what you are looking for, I will keep my eyes open

I've got my fingers crossed thanks.  I'm a chemistry teacher but I can teach all 3 sciences upto GCSE, that's really kind thanks.
What are you doing out there?

I'm not out there but trying to get there!

Hi, i believe you could get many clarifications from visiting the abu dhabi educational coucil website at : adec.ae. They are constantly looking for teachers from around the world and probably have addressed many of the concerns raised in this regard.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for that. 

I have just opened an email from Footprints Recruitment to say that my major area of study, qualifications and experience do not meet their client's requirement. Your info has kept the hope going and given me another avenue to look at.  Cheers!

Fingers crossed Herbert123, i've applied for a job at the British School Al khubairat tonight so i shall keep everything crossed for us both xxx

Hi, I would very much like to hear from anyone who has any experience of the ADEC system in Abu Dhabi and/or of the recruitment process. I am Australian, currently applying through an agency for a teaching position with ADEC. I would like to know about the application process, the type of accommodation provided, the ADEC schools, any pitfalls. If people out there have information regarding this I would be thankful.

I am considering taking a teaching job in Abu Dhabi with the ADEC. I have been teaching for about 6 years at the elementary level. I want to move abroad and teach for the experience. My biggest concern is moving back to the States and whether teaching abroad with boost or hinder my resume.

Des anyone have experience moving back to the US and how teaching abroad helped or hurt your employment?  I have an in-person interview coming up next month and really want to get some answers before then.  Thanks!

Hi lynsiloo,

I've just noticed your post!  Wondering how did you get on with that school - any luck??

I have a job offer from a school in Abu Dhabi, 4400AED+Accommodation within school campus+Medical Insurance+ Joining Airfare.

I need to pay for food, utility expenses like electricity, water, internet, telephone etc.I would be living alone in Abu Dhabi. Kindly suggest whether this offer is ok and whether can save something at the end of the month?

Hiya

i got an email today inviting me to an interview in London on Tuesday at the British School Al Khubairat eeeeeeekkkkk fingers crossed xx

Good for you!!!!!!! Quite understand the the eeeeeeeekkkkkkk as I'm sure if I got that far I would be eeeeeeeeekkkking too!!! It's one thing to look, dream and apply and another when you realsie that it might actually happen - that's what I think.....
It will probably be the best thing you've ever done though if you do get it. 

I'm still on the searching stage, I can't seem to find anything that fits my quals and experience and am concerned that I might now have missed it for this year with interviews happening about now in London. Age is also a factor!!!!

I wish you the very best of luck, be enthusiastic and sell yourself.  Please do let me know how you get on

I've just looked at the school - it sounds brilliant!!!!! Good Luck!!!!!

I have heard from friends that teaching in AUH is very easy and that qualifications are not being dealt with properly.

would love contacts of good schools in the UAE if anyone can help, Thank you

Hello franbonn -> Can you give more détails of what you are looking for please? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hello,  I am looking for a recommendation of secondary schools in Abu Dhabi. I hold an Irish PGDE teaching qualification of French and English and Geography.

Well i went to the interview on Tuesday and thought it went well.  They said they would let me know tomorrow evening (wed) but its now late Thursday so i'm guessing i didn't get it.  Find it hard to comprehend  and very frustrating that they would pay for me to go to London for an interview and then not even bother to let me know i didnt get it, even an email would have done.  Would have liked some feedback at least.  Has anyone else come across this, is it usual practice :(

Hope everyone else is having better luck, and if anyone knows anything about positions for Chemistry/Science teachers please shout xxx

Hi,want to know about Teaching requirements in Abu Dhabi schools specially Montessori teaching.Is it compulsory to get diploma from recognized institute also what about teaching experience!

Hi, I am a qualified primary teacher with around 9 years of full time experience, I was hoping to get a job in either Dubai or Abu Dhabi in Jan... I was wondering do you think I would be able to start around this time or are most contracts on a sept to sept basis?

I serve in abudhabi 30 years as gov. employee ready to helpll

thks
kalhoo.com
[email protected]

Hi,
I have a teaching position for september in Abu Dhabi. I am still waiting for some documents to be sent back to me from the UAE Embassy which is holding up my visa processing.Can anyone tell me if this is going to delay my departure a lot or how late do they send teachers out?...

My advice?Try to find a good package including good salary and accommodation,because last one eat most of the money.Being a single woman does not mean your expenses will be small,as long u want to go restaurants,pool,etc.You know how much is a membership in a hotel?!Or u can share a room in the town with another woman,otherwise no way to make savings.Life in UAE it is expensive,especially in Abu Dhabi.And by the way,do not accept an offer less than 6000 aed plus accommodation,women here survive with husband or sponsor visa,and some.I was working as a teacher here and I had my own accommodation,only 4000 aed as salary,but I had collegs with even 3000.For me it wasn't enough to have a decent life,that's the reason for what I will leave the country soon,so think better before u come.I don't even mentioned about savings!You know that proverb "here don't walk dogs with pretzels in the queue".Good luck!

Most of accommodation priced included water and electricity,e-life it is around 350 aed/months with internet,land line and tv  cable..But i am afraid your salary is not enough,especially u have  a family to sustain.

Hello!

I am also a new member and will be moving to Abu Dhabi to teach English in a number of weeks and ADECA pays a good salary as well as purnishing an apartment. There is a site called TEACHAWAY- a recruiter, that could give you LOTS of information to help in your decision. Check them out!

And Good Luck!
Barbara

Hello!

I will also be going to Abu Dhabi. My salary will be a little higher, but from my estimation, depending of course what a car costs, I INTEND to save a minimum of $3000 American dollars a month, however I also intend to live like a pauper.

The fact that they house us and pay our air travel is a big perk.

Good Luck!!!

Barbara

come and enjoy

[Moderated: This is not a dating website]

Hey guys anyone looking at a teaching job in AJYAL School Abu Dhabi do not even consider applying for it. I was supposed to have a job with this schools at over 12,000 dirhams after I accepted the offer they reduced this down to 8000.SSAT don't seem to be a reliable recruit either. Full of empty promises beware!