Massage Therapy and the tourist season

Hello All,

My wife & I are planning on moving to Belize in the near future. She is a massage therapist here in the States.
We are curious as to the busy season for tourists in the Placencia or possibly the Hopkins area?
It would be a great way for us to supplement our income. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

In general, tourist season starts sometime in November and stretches until April, although this year it stayed busy all the way until August in San Pedro.  September/October are the least busy times of the year.

Keep in mind, though, Placencia and Hopkins don't get nearly as many tourists as San Pedro.  Make sure you do your due diligence if you need to make money in Belize.  At least in San Pedro, there are quite a few massage therapists already, both locals and expats.  I can't speak to the other areas, though.

CaribeGal,
Hey, the wife here haha.
Do you receive massage? Do the therapists seem to be in competition with each other? We will be in a different area but it's nice to get an idea of wherever I can.
No worries, due dillegence is being done. My research is extensive and on going. Just working on taking his dream from black and white to a reality.

Lee does a fabulous massage business at Secret Gardens (http://www.secretgardenplacencia.com/) in Placencia, and many of the hotels have massage therapists on staff or located on premises (like Butterflies at Almond Beach in Hopkins).  Not only will you have to contend with tourism season, but if you want to cater to the local expats (which you should), then you will probably have to drop your rates.

My massage therapist in Cayo (I get one every other week) charges me $60 bze ($30 usd) for 75 minutes or $80 bze ($40 usd) for two hours. 

Lastly, you will need a self-employed work permit until you achieve Permanent Residency and a trade license from the town board in order to operate legally.

Sharon Hiebing

Sharon,
Thank you for the reply! I do plan to cater to expats as well, also I can fully work with reduced rates for residents. I sent Lee an email a couple days ago, still awaiting reply.
I am trying to figure out exactly which work permit would be required. I know here in the US my plan would be considered "self employment" but I am unsure of this definition in Belize.
Lastly...I'm getting the vibe that this is an exclusive club, discouraging new members lacking massive bank accounts. Is this valid or am I just thinking to far in to these boards?

Actually, Emsni, no one is trying to discourage you at all. What we are trying to do is adequately prepare you for the realities of Belize.  It is very difficult to "make a buck" in Belize.  I'm not sure what any of us has said that is relevant to the size of your bank account???

Also, there are certain regulations you need to be aware of.  You would need a self-employed work permit to run a business. To get a job, you need an employer to sponsor you for a standard work permit.

Sharon,
I am so sorry I seem to have offended. Allow me to apologize. It seems when someone posts about working replays are not very positive but when someone posts about building a house or retirement they are met with many positive responses. I am sure now this is only in good sprit. Again, I am sorry.
Let me clarify , my family and I intend to live a simple Belizian style life and don't require much money but some suplimental income may be necessary and I have a deep love for massage and wish to continue practicing.
Respectfully,
Emily

No need to apologize, Emily - you didn't offend me at all. I just wasn't sure where the basis for your conclusion was stemming from.

People on this forum genuinely have your better interest at heart. For those of us who live here, we've either "been there, done that," or have seen others try and fail. Either way, the only goal of the forum is to make sure in all things related to Belize, the posters get a realistic idea of things (otherwise why have a forum if all we are going to do is sugar coat things and tell you what you want to hear).

Just plan on having some hurdles to jump over to start a business, adequate reserves until the business starts making money, and plan on not making much at all in the beginning. Frankly, this is sound advice no matter where in the world you would want to start a business.

As long as you arrive in Belize with your eyes wide open, you should be fine.  Wish you much good luck! Sharon

Thank you kindly. I surly don't want things sugar coated. I do very much apriciate the knowledge. I know I can succeed. So long as the market in my area isn't insanely flooded and I can "start a business" legally without intending to ever hire another person, ever. Haha. I am currently gathering numbers on tourism. It seems the southern peninsula gets only a fraction due to lack of cruise ships and such. Lack of ships and less people are quite appealing but no clients at all is obviously unappealing. ;)

Yes, the top spots are Ambergris Caye, Cayo, Belize City area, and Caye Caulker. All other areas of the country are lumped into an "Other" category.

EmSni wrote:

It seems the southern peninsula gets only a fraction due to lack of cruise ships and such. Lack of ships and less people are quite appealing but no clients at all is obviously unappealing. ;)

No cruise ships anchor anywhere in Belize except for Belize City due to the offshore reef and public pressure.  I believe they tried to change that in Placencia, but thanks to public outcry, still cannot bring cruise ships in there.  We saw signs all over town protesting it when we were there in January.  I am so glad as that is one way to ruin a perfectly lovely small beach town, IMO. 

Ambergris Caye is by far the largest tourist destination, not because of cruise ships, but because of the reef.  Diving and fishing are huge here.  But there will also be quite a bit of competition as I know there are many massage therapists on the island, independent and on resort staffs, as Sharon mentioned.  There are several spas, and there are locals who have asked me as they walk along the beach if I want a massage.  I say no.  Massages are lovely, but I prefer to spend my few "luxury dollars" (I'm early retired and living on savings) on yoga rather than massage.

Best of luck to you -- both Sharon and I are just trying to be realistic, not discouraging.  We've both seen and heard of plenty of people come down here with hope of making money find out the hurdles are frustrating, the costs too high, and the return on investment too low.  But it can be done with the proper attitude and perseverance -- and a quality product or service, of course!

Cheers,
Another Emily

Taking all into account and thank you both for the wealth of knowledge. I think Hopkins is the place for us.
:)
Whew. Glad to have that one out of the way. Next up- Yard Sale! Haha

@christian77 wondering if you and your wife made the move and how has it been working out? My bf and I are considering the same move w massage therapist license under my belt.

Hi wondering if you have moved to hopkins yet and how are things working out?