Imagination

Hey all I am Ryno and I am 18. Living in South Africa.I want to immigrate to New Zealand.I'm finishing metric this year. I want to move there next here. Is it possible for me to do this? My plan is to go over and work and do my apprenticeship for electrical. I'm in technical school doing electrical as a subject. Then want to live there for 5 years to get my residence and let my parents come over on my name. Is this possible? Will it be hard for me to find a Job with just my Grade 12 certificate  ?

I am not really sure what your 12th grade is worth in the current qualifications system in New Zealand. You'll need to submit this with the NZQA (New Zealand Qualifications Authority) and after consideration they'll be able to tell you whether it's suitable to allow you you to pursue an apprenticeship to be an electrician. I know that this trade does require some study at tertiary institutes as there's some theory involved. I believe the apprenticeship is around 4 years before one can practise on their own.

As for finding an apprenticeship, most likely the best place in NZ currently would be Christchurch and the areas surrounding it. I say this as there were two large earthquakes there in recent years and basically the whole city needs to be rebuilt, almost completely. This is a 20+ year project and people who are trained in trades (electrics/plumbing/building) are more likely to find successful and ongoing employment.

One point to remember is that there are many tertiary institutions where you can enrol and study in your chosen area and there will be lots of opportunities to do experience out in the field, this will help you network, get to know people in the industry and help further your prospects somewhat. If I was you I would probably choose this option. Certainly would be a faster way. You'd need to do your homework and find out which is the best course suited to your needs and naturally which is recommended as suitable for the local industry.

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject, something to think about.

Cheers