FIFO Experiences

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in hearing from women who are working in PNG on FIFO rosters, particularly in the mining sector, for an article that I am putting together for an Arts subject.

If there is anyone who would like to contribute their feelings and experiences, I'm sure that there would be a lot of people who would also like to hear from you. I am currently working in PNG at a mine and I spent many hours scouring the internet trying to get an understanding of what it was like before I moved here from Australia.

I have a couple of specific questions:

1. why did you move to PNG in particular?

2. do you belive that being an expat woman in PNG is viewed as being unusual?

3. do you believe that you were fully prepared for working in PNG?

4. have you worked elsewhere in the world on FIFO rostering? What was that like in relation to working in PNG?

5. what has been your most positive experience from working in PNG?

Thankyou very much for your time. If you'd prefer to send your responses to me via email, my email address for this survey is [email protected].

Hi miningqs!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hi Miningqs,

This info. may be useful or not.
Iam from the otherside ie. Iam a PNGuinean used to be on FIFO at a mine. The presence of an expat women is encouraging in a mining scene because we have the perception that driving trucks, being a electrician, mechanic etc. is man's job. Their presence boost our morale and they also encourage us to do the things we would not have done or been given a chance to do so.