Short term work

Hey I'm a young American expat living in China and I'm going to be heading to South East Asia and Europe when my stint here is done but I find myself a little short on cash and was hoping to find some short term work in or around Amsterdam to hopefully refresh my cash reserves a little bit. Does anyone know about the feasibility of finding short term work in Amsterdam that doesn't require a visa, maybe something I could do for one or two months. I've worked as an English teacher but also part timed as a bar tender while in China, in America I worked as a chef for awhile. I'm really looking for something with high turn over where the transience of my living arrangement wouldn't necessarily be that big of problem. Also does anyone know anything about short term housing arrangements, maybe like two months or so?

From what I understand, you will always need a work permit. Working without one would be illegal. You can find more information on the subject here: Dutch immigration services website
Hope it helps, good luck!

Edit: the above link covers working/staying in the Netherlands for over 3 months. For doing so for no more than 3 months, check this link.

Thanks I guess another question is how strictly is this enforced, because in China huge numbers of the expats here work without proper visas, I have the proper paper work, but I'm not looking to become a long term resident.

It's enforced rigidly enough for employers not to want to risk it. They can be fined pretty severely and you'd have to offer them a major reason to want to risk such a fine. I'm sorry to discourage you, but I feel like your chances on finding a job without a work permit are pretty slim at best. :(

Eh no worries, its not going to keep me from traveling,  I just wanted to look into it; some of my European friends recommend I look into short term work in some of the countries I'm considering.

I'm glad you're not being discouraged from following a dream. I admire your perseverance and wish you well on your travels. :)

If the employer find out that you have not a visa, then he/she can be in big problems, like you. The fine for these illegal activities kan be hugh!
Beside this, like every where in the world the Dutch economy is effect by the crisis and the change for a job, is small.