Vet services in Siem Reap?

Hi Everyone,
I have recently 'adopted' a kitten (about 6months old) and she is currently living outside our apartment. She was rescued from my school and as the term was finishing I was the only 'live-out' teacher that could take her with me.

The only thing is that i desperately need to get her spayed. She has just had her first 'heat' and apart from the noise being unbearable to us and neighbours she simply cannot have kittens; for a start she is too young to handle giving birth but more importantly I'd just be adding to the problem of stray malnourished animals.

I've heard there's a provincial vet on the road to Angkor High school but after walking past several times I can't see anything. Please can anyone tell me where I can get her spayed, or get some medicine that will prevent her from getting preggers!

Thanks in advance!

p.s taking her to PP on the bus isn't really an option...

Hi lizbarrow,

welcome to Expat.com!

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

All the best,
Christine

Rudolf,  it's Stafford again.   I know my question is sort of off topic, but can you give me any advice about purchasing electronics in Siem Reap.   When I arrive next month, I will need printer, scanner, DVD player, DVDs, wireless modem, all the usual things that I can't pack into my suitcase.  I am sure these are available somewhere, even if I have to go to PP to get them.  What I am interested in is the cost of electronics in general.   Will I pay a huge premium for these, or are they about the average western price for such things?

I'll be happy for any advice you can give.

Thanks,

Stafford

Hello Stafford, can you please start a new thread on the Siem Reap forum with your questions? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

The only two European vets have left SR and the provincial vet near Angkor High school appears to be the 'best' option currently. I am in the same fix, unless I can find a good home for my two beloved Shipoos, I may have no option other than to take them on the one way trip to SR. Would appreciate any "travellers tales" from ex-pats who have taken their pets to Cambodia.

There is no vet in Siem Reap anymore. Kate Beattie can be found in the Siem Reap expat's group on Facebook, she's a vetinary nurse and does the hard grind of looking after (to a very high standard) pretty much every expat's pet in town. (P.S. I know this is a very late response to the topic).

Hi, from what I know, there's none in Siem Reap for spaying... you have to head to PP...
try facebook group for Siem Reapers for more info :)

Hi There do you have this vet's who is behind Wat Pho's phone number.  Thank you
:)

If state veterinary license 801 July 1981 in South Carolina [and many other states over time] means something, I work with Katie at her clinic for several months now.....I have worked sapy/neuter clinics in Florida for several years as well as emergency and zoo/wildlife, etc...if you want a professional surgery done for your pets safely...I will be back in siem reap Wed. or Thurs. March 20 or 21...

reagrds,

Don Gillespie DVM

Cambodia

Phone [855] 0976-193-573

Now...if I could just type better.... :0)

Best,
Don

Thank you I would like to bring both my dogs to you male and female, around 5 months old. 

Regards

Theresa

Hi Theresa,
Sounds good to me....exams or vaccinations or spay/neuter or all of the above??

Cheers,
Don

Hi Don

I would like them to have all of the above.  The dogs are owned by a Khmer Family but I am overseeing the care of the dogs and teaching the family about caring for the animals.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards

Theresa

Very good....I will be doing procedures thursday and friday this week and fri/sat. next week and then eceryday after that for a while....I will post when actually in town...probably late wed. PM..... :0)

Don

I need a vet in siem reap very quickily please can one of you guys help me out thanks trev x

Trev, you owe me beer:

SIEM REAP VETERINARY SERVICES
Dr Don Gillespie D.V.M and Katie Beattie V.N
Available for
:consultation
:sterilisation/desexing
:vaccinations
:parasite control and prevention
:routine care and advice
Monday-Friday 9am-4pm
Call Katie 0976 008884 (during working hours).

Thank you kindly.

Ok mate let me know when and where done deal lol

Hello,  I want to know if there are still any Vet services in Siem Reap.  Can anyone let me know.

Thanks

Don Gillespie DVM    American veterinarian 0889 643 653 cell     thnx! Don

Don,

Thank you for your timely response.  Where in Siem Reap are you located?  How long have you been in Cambodia.

Thank you,

Andrea

hi Andrea, We have a clinic south of the crocodile farm where we do clinic days with routine surgeries once each week......I also do home visits and see animals for various outpatient at my guesthouse [cheaper than home visits and located on wat bo road close to hwy. g - new apsara market...gh is right above that]....and we can work out the best location to do what you need!   thnx, Don Gillespie

Once again, I thank you for your response.  I don't have the puppy yet as she is only 6 weeks old, will be getting her from a neighborhood litter and she is not weaned yet.  She will need an entire work up including her first series of Distemper, ParVo, Hep & Para.  I know we are in Cambodia but wanted to ask if these shots are given here and if future Titers are an option going forward after the first round of annual shots.  I'm from the US and do not know what the standards or capabilities are for dog healthcare.  So any information would be helpful prior to me taking on a puppy in this country.

Andrea

1. We have western quality vaccines available here in Siem Reap.
2. Future titers could be done out-of-country but is expensive and easier just to do annual vaccinations.
3. Entrance into Cambodia is relatively easy with standard international health certificate showing vaccinations  and recent parasite treatment and rabies vaccination of over 4  months old - I believe 8 weeks old is minimum age for shipment with most airlines....also need to check crate size limitations for flight on jets and heat restrictions at certain times of the year.

Don Gillespie DVM

0889 643 653 LOCAL CELL ph. no. in Siem Reap

Don,

Thank you for the information.  I have decided to not have a dog shipped in due to the multiple puppy scams I have come across.  If I do decide to adopt a local puppy I will call you for the next steps.  I do however have just a few more questions....what are your visit prices for office, home & GH?  vaccination prices, worming prices, spay/neuter...just want to get a good idea of what the costs are here for Vet services before I dive into dog ownership.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Andrea

various posts on this on FB under 'expats and locals living in siem reap, cambodia'

yes its all great  once a week but my dog got infected with parvo so waiting a week woukd kill him.i found a khmer vet near hip hop club.he took care of my dog.every morning i brought him he gave an iv and some shots.and at 5 pm i went for him.this went on for 4 days and now my dog is very alive and kicking.tskai sabai.happy dog

I answer calls and do home visits or here at my home 7 days a week...sometimes by morning  or afternoon or evening, in fact!  best, Don

Hi Don,

Sorry for being out of touch.  I saw you ad posted on the Angkor Market board which reminded me to keep in contact with you.  I am still looking for a future Vet as there is a new litter of puppies that will be whelped around the second or third week of November. I still need to get your prices if I consider taking on a new puppy.

Thanks,

Andrea

Hi Don,

The new puppies were whelped last night and I tried calling your cell number and the call wouldn't go threw.  I dialed the number you gave me as I am also living in Siem Reap.  The number I dialed was 0889 643 653 and didn't have any luck with connecting with you.

Andrea

Isnt don back in america? I tought i read that on one of the forums

Thanks...does anyone know of another Vet in Siem Reap?

Andrea

Yes, a khmer vet not far ftom hip hop club,you drive furtger ib the road to where it makes a Y ,there turn left and its the first or second street on the right,little dodgy practise bug he saved my dog from parvo ,as where western doctoes fail a lot,so he is good and very cheap also.like for a medium size dog a shot against fleas and tics is 10000 riel,of 2,5$

Thanks.  Do you have a name and phone number?

Ace

Not anymore as so e little punk stole my galaxy note 3,most of my phonenumbers are lost,but i can go and have a look next weekend and post it,im seeing someone in the hardrock cafe and thats on the way.i post it here then.

Thanks again.....are you from Cambodia?

Ace

I live in siemreap for neary a year now.i help a friend out in his school.but i am retired.

Here it is
OUK HOK SY VET
012 93 88 92
yes i live in siem reap,but i am not khmer i am a belgian,retired here.

Thanks all for sharing their good views here.