Moving To Paraguay

Hi,

Have a couple of questions to ask about paragauay, residence.

1. I know that if i want to apply for residence in Paraguay i need to legalise my birth cert and etc, but what do i do if there is no Paraguay embassy in my country (Singapore), the nearest would be Indonesia i think would it work if i legalised it there? By the way how long does the legalisation take?

2. Is it possible to apply for the cedula offshore (without my need to come to Paraguay) via a lawyer and send him the documents so that he can do everything (jfinestra if you can answer this it would be great)

Thanks guys

Hi
You could come here on holiday basis naming a hotel to stay in. I could help you further.

Regards

woodhard wrote:

Hi
You could come here on holiday basis naming a hotel to stay in. I could help you further.

Regards

What do you mean?

Would i not be turned back at the airport if i don't have a valid visa?

Name hotels

pingo wrote:

Name hotels

Got that, what about the legalisation part?

Hi
It will work to send it to Indonesia (this will have to include birth cert, cert of criminal record, valid passport. I will wait for you at the airport if you wish. You need to be in the country to get a cedula (permanent residence.

Hotels: Granados park hotels, Bavaria Hotel, Palmas del Sol hotel, excelsior hotel etc

You have to legalize documents with a lawyer in your country and have same sent to indonesia. May be you have to include a money order so that the consulate will return your visa as well as documents

regards

I would recommend going to the Paraguayan embassies website to check out the requirements for residency.  Not sure about how well put together or complete the website is for the Paraguayan embassy in Indonesia but as you can communicate in English so you could go to the web sites of the Paraguayan embassies in the US or the one Canada.  They describe what must be done to obtain Paraguayan residency in decent detail.  The one from Canada is actually a little better put together.  Bottom line is you cannot do the process from outside the country.  You have to accomplish various things "in country".  I have seen various responses posted on this forum about whether you can start the process than leave the country while it is being processed.  Best to talk to a real lawyer with experience about this instead of rely on forum responses.

To get a visa, you simply have to send your passport, the application and some money to a Paraguayan embassy.  Apply for the slightly higher priced "multiple entry visa" instead of the "one time entry visa".  The multiple entry visa is good for the life of your passport.  You can stay up to 90 days at a time with a visa.

Good luck.

majbjb wrote:

I would recommend going to the Paraguayan embassies website to check out the requirements for residency.

Agreed with that, one thing is if i send my passport to the embassy via courier to another country, don't know if its safe to do that? Any thoughts on that?

Also they do ask for my latest bank statement, what about this? or do i just open an account and put a certain minimum amount inside?

majbjb wrote:

You have to accomplish various things "in country".

Looks like it :)

majbjb wrote:

Best to talk to a real lawyer with experience about this instead of rely on forum responses.

The only good on i know with good recommendations is JFinestra in this forum, let see his response.

majbjb wrote:

Good luck

Thanks, lets hope i make it to paraguay

To enter Paraguay without sending your passport overseas to obtain a visa, you can fly into Chile or Argentina and apply in person at the Consulates there.  In Buenos Aires it is done overnight, but I don't know about Santiago.  Pay the extra for the multiple entry.  Don't worry that you will sign a declaration stating you will not be applying for residency; just sign it.  It is the only visa available, and they won't care in Asuncion. Take a copy of your bank statement and/or a photocopy of a credit card.  It is just so they know you can support yourself in Paraguay, and in many cases is reciprocity, as other countries demand the same of paraguayans seeking visas.
It is very easy, and enjoyable, to spend a few days in Buenos Aires or Santiago while the visa is obtained.

Gabater's idea is great if your a little nervous about sending your passport off to a foreign country.  I can only advise that here in the US one simply mails off the passport, funds and the filled out visa form to the PY embassy or consulate and it's returned within normally a week or two with the appropriate visa stamp.

As for lawyers, I've noted the one you pointed out as being one who has posted a lot of helpful info on this forum in the past and has also gotten good reviews from folks who use him.  One we've used with good results has also posted on the forum in the past, his name is Ariel Santander. Email address is:  [email protected]   

There are also many non-lawyers who are in the business of working with new residents to get their residency.  These "helpers" are generally cheaper than lawyers, and as you really don't need a lawyer to complete the residency process they can be an option.  This forum, and others, are filled with many posts regarding various helpers, some positive and some not.  Best to do a little research before spending any money on a professional or unprofessional helper, or even a lawyer for that matter.

Best of luck on your pending adventure in relocating!

majbjb wrote:

I can only advise that here in the US one simply mails off the passport, funds and the filled out visa form to the PY embassy or consulate and it's returned within normally a week or two with the appropriate visa stamp.

Let me check one thing with you when you legalise the documents,
you send only the copies already legalised in your country to the paraguay embassy, not the originals correct?

One more thing they said that the documents must first be legalised in your own country, before coming to paraguay. but i noticed that the paraguay embassy in london states

"The jurisdictions of the Consular Section in London are: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland and Iceland."

I tried checking with other embassies of paraguay in japan, indonesia but to no avail? The embassy in melbourne seems to have vanished into thin air, the number is disconnected.

If in this case which embassy should i legalise my documents,
since there isn't one in my own country?

Paraguay Consulate in Australia
New Address
39 Empire Circuit
Forrest,Canberra
ACT 2603
ph:  +(61 2) 6156 4522
email: australia[at]mre.gov.py

If you have a valid passport with more than 6 months until expiration from a country which citizens thereof need a visa for entrance into Paraguay, it seems that you can get a 90 day single entry visa at the Asuncion airport for $160 usd in a few minutes. This was my personal experience and I would check with your airline which you will fly to enter the country. They can tell you about the visa.  Better to get a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa from the Paraguayan Consulate or Embassy in your country.

Though I can't give you legal advice, this was the case for me. Check with your airline.

Just flew into ASU today with a bunch of folks from the US who needed the visa's there at he airport.  Much to everyone's surprise the only visa they offered was the "multiple entry visa".   Or at least that's what the workers there were passing out today!   Could change tomorrow of course since this is Paraguay of course.

You're set for 90 days. The multi entry Visa is your only option these days, as of November. I must've been one of the last people to get a multi-entry in Canada before the change. They kicked the price up to $150 for us, from $100.

This new system has its benefits and its detriments. Having to deal with two mildly competent Visa desk attendants after two days of travel can be a pain. As well, this really doesn't help to bring in backpackers, since you have to fly into the country to get a visa, instead of being able to bus in. Seems like a pretty big oversight, given there is no Visa on Arrival option by land.

While I was at the Paraguayan Consulate in Buenos Aires last week they asked me if I wanted a tourist visa.  So I take it that if you want to enter Paraguay by bus then you can still obtain a visa in Argentina at the consulate. By extrapolation that means you can probably get one at the consulate in Brazil too.