Buying a Macbook in Vietnam?

Good morning all you tech gurus,

I went to the new Big C in Can Tho the other day and found a Futureworld, with Macbook Airs that ran for about 100 USDs more than those in the States.

I have been looking at one since they first came out, but no one among my families and friends in the States was able to bring it here for me.  Now this, I don't think it is all that bad.

As for me, the only thing electronic that I had ever bought here was a couple batteries, and that was it.  This would be a hugh leap.  What do you fellas think?  Have any of you ever bought anything similar, especially from Futureworld?  They seem to be nice people.

Thanks for any input.
Howie

The Air range cannot be serviced, only tossed, as they are glued together to make it so thin. VN might not be the best place to own such a device - unless you get a reliable authorised service centre.

Lenovo has a fancy new unit with a big screen.

Still, if  you like units with half-eaten fruit on them, buy something a little thicket that is held together with screws.

Jaitch wrote:

half-eaten fruit

:D  That's a good one, man!  But, I have always used them and struggle with anything other than...  Furthermore, did you see the recent US Suppreme Court verdict?  Check this out.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/apple- … d=17087657

The good thing is I won't be effected:  less thing for me to learn.  :D

Howie

It's okie if there have only Futureworld in Can Tho, last time when I bought my air, I did check their price & see it's expensive more than the shop that I got :P Why?!? with or without tax .... :D
Talking about device quality, unless u don't destroy it (throw it away, use for bread cut off :P ....) no need for care centre as well ^^!

Wild_1 wrote:

Furthermore, did you see the recent US Suppreme Court verdict?  Check this out.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/apple- … d=17087657Howie

Not the Supreme Court, a Federal Court.

It's under appeal already and Apple has to wait until December to apply for an importation ban on all these old models that are no longer sold, which means Samsung gets the Christmas market.

The UK tossed the Apple claim, the rest of Europe's all over the map - software can't be patented there and icons and lines of pixels are excluded.

Samsung has the lions share of the smartphone market so Apple is fighting already, just what happened in other technical fields. American companies roar away, then the Asian manufacturers catch up with them, and usually over take.

The iphone 5 is already on sale in China, although it's not from Apple, which is another legal problem that Cupertino has to face, fight a Chinese outfit in a Chinese court!

ZTE has an Intel chipped unit running Android coming out soon; Kindle is supposed to be heading for free (but you have to join the Prime Club) ... lot of movement out there.

bechum wrote:

Talking about device quality, unless u don't destroy it (throw it away, use for bread cut off :P ....) no need for care centre as well ^^!

During warranty you get a free replacement ... subject to the terms ... and Apple keeps the bad one.

After warranty, you can keep the junker but yu have to buy a new one!

Google: ifixit macbook air and read all abut it.

Remember, Apple uses second hand parts in repairs - it's in their warranty.

Jaitch wrote:

The iphone 5 is already on sale in China, although it's not from Apple, which is another legal problem that Cupertino has to face, fight a Chinese outfit in a Chinese court!

It's not an iphone5 it's an android phone. It's gonna be interesting to prove it's a copy of a phone that has no pictures of it released yet and is not yet available on the market.....

As you say the import ban is for older devices so wont affect them.

There was another interesting story from the US about some firm that buys second hand phones has reduced the price paid for Samsung phones by 10% saying the market is now becoming flooded as people abandon their phones following the court case! Most likely these people are coming to the end of there contracts and looking to buy the newer models.

laidbackfreak wrote:

It's not an iphone5 it's an android phone. It's gonna be interesting to prove it's a copy of a phone that has no pictures of it released yet and is not yet available on the market.....

iPhone 5 will be made in China, and has probably already had a pre-production run to work out the technical manufacturing glitches before actual production. It's likely, if this is a copy, that someone from inside the iPhone factory leaked technical info to the Chinese manufacturer of the "copy" phone, creating this situation. So, in theory, it could be proved, but will likely be difficult.

Hey there
Future worlds is Apple Premium Reseller. So u can be sure that its real Macbook.
Also, they can help u with warranty in 1 year, and 2 years if u pay some more money
I have bought iMac from them last year. And its still ok until now
If u can be in Sai Gon, u can go to some small shop, they can have cheaper price, because they will not ask u to pay for VAT tax (10%)
You can have a look at some webs below:
http://www.icenter.com.vn/Product/mac/macbook-airhttp://www.binguyen.com/
Good luck :)

You'd better hurry, dude.

FutureWorld, living up to its futuristic reputation, has a promotion right now. Not sure what is the term on warranty of the bundled accessories though

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/funny-celebrity-pictures-special-offer-with-every-macbook-air.jpg

Apple Premium Resellers.

http://www.apple.com/asia/reseller/apr/vn-list.php

Apple Authorized Service Providers

http://www.apple.com/asia/service/

You got a new Mac, be sure to get Apple Care on it if anything goes wrong (even in Vietnam.)

Earlier this year, I had issues with my MacBook a while back with a bad DVD drive. Called up Apple Support, went through the whole process over skype on the problem. Turns out its hard ware, confirmed with the Apple person over the phone that this store is a legit place to get it serviced (because its on the apple site.) Also had the case # and history documented on both ends so Apple would know what's the issue.

KTC Co Ltd (4.6 kms)
384 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Str., Dist. 3, Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnam
84-8-834-1323

If you go there, they'll have signs that they'll charge for service. That's total BS as if you are under Apple Care, everything should be covered (unless you like dropped you Mac in the ocean or used it as a frisbee.) They fixed it and I didn't need to pay a thing.

KTC, as a service provider has to comply with everything Apple does, otherwise they'll get their licenses stripped. I made sure I stressed to them everything that Apple support told me.

Phi Long,

Please disregard that Anatta guy; he has a couple of marbles missing.  :D

Thanks for the head-up, though.  Quality is all that I am concerned with.  As long as the product is legitimate, I am all good with it.

I'm 99% sure it's legit. Its not like the Louis Vuitton store in District 1 where they still sell counterfeit LV bags there. XD

You can see price in iprocenter.vn

It have best price

Howie,
   I have used Futureworld and found tgem to be good. I also purchased the Apple Care service contract and am so glad I did. Not sure if it is the voltage fluctuations in VN or what, but Apple has replaced just about everything on my computer at no cost to me.