Jobs in Goiania

I am moving to Goiania by the end of this year. I am a Brazilian citizen from Brasilia DF. Looking for more information on types of jobs I could get in Goiania. I have an american High school Diploma and TESOL certification. Okay maybe an English teaching job... But where???????? Help!! Thanks!

Hello Dmarinho91.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, you can post an advert in the Jobs in Goiânia. It may be useful.

Good luck in your research,
Aurélie

Hi Dmarinho91,

Get your US High school diploma 'legalized' by the Brazilian Consulate nearest you (see link) 

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=177474

and once you arrive in Brazil I would recommend getting it translated by a legal translator here (tradutor juramentada). You will have to enter into contact with MEC (Ministério de Educação) to find out what the process is for secondary school diplomas because I don't know if they treat them the same as university degrees.

Why you would even think of teaching English here is beyond me, you would make near slave wages and as a Brazilian citizen you can get any number of jobs that pay much, much more. As a citizen you can also apply for the 'concurso' for any number of public service jobs that foreigners can't apply for. I would highly recommend that you only think about teaching (anything) as an absolute last resort in order to make some money while looking for something better. If you speak the language well and have TOESL certification you will get a job at ANY language school here in Brazil (probably the very first one you walk in to) that is no problem.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Okay, Thanks for the reply. My nearest Consulate is in Washington,D.C. I will look into the concurso first like you mentioned and go from there.

I have Certifications in Microsoft word, excel, powerPoint etc.
Admin experience, ESL teaching experience. Also, did some CNA courses in high school. So I have experience in working in nursing homes and working with elder people. And I was a nanny for 2 years.  But I do not want to do any domestic work in Brazil. I don't think it pays good, and it's totally different than in the US.

Hi Gene,

I've been watching your postings with great interest as you always have something important to add and your willingness to give information and advice to others is obvious.

I am trying to get some of our more established members such as yourself to take the time to write a small guide to their city (like my Gringo's Survival Guide to Brazil, but much shorter). I would request that the Expat-blog Team give it a sticky and keep it at the top of the first forum page.

Your longevity and vast experience in the country would be an invaluable asset to all expats planning to live in your area and I know that your advice would be much appreciated by all. I can tell you from my own experience that it is extremely rewarding and I truly feel like I'm doing something important.

Please think about it and let me know.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Hello, DMarinho91.

Have you solved your situation yet? I hope you have.

Just in case, I currently live in Goiânia and work in the IT field and maybe I can help you with some of my contacts.

Anyhow it is always important and interesting to establish new contacts and make new friends who share expat interests and experiences alike.

I am new to the Goiania forum despite I have been enrolled in the Expat.com for some time already. I saw your post today and was wondering if I can contribute with something.

If I can be of any help please feel free to contact me.

All the best,
Pedro Carneiro.

pedrokarneiro,

Hello, Thanks for replying to my post. I have not moved to GO yet, my husband is on his way on Friday to go first, and then I will be on my way towards the 17th of this month. I am still looking for work, and any help would be great.

Hello, DMarinho.

I think you might quickly fit into an ESL school here. Maybe you will even hit the ground running here because you seem to be very qualified for the job. I'm only not sure about the pay, because currently some self-employed domestic workers earn more than some teachers here. In resume, your salary will depend on your qualification and negotiation capacity.

The best ESL schools in Goiania are CCAA, BRASAS, CCBEU (these are US English oriented), and Cultura Inglesa (which teaches UK English), so I suggest you talk to those first before you accept or try others (there are many weak options nowadays).

There are other good courses like Skill, Yasigi, PBF and others but I am not he right person to speak for them, so I think you might have to check that by yourself.

I hope to have been of help.

All the best!

Dmarinho91 wrote:

pedrokarneiro,

Hello, Thanks for replying to my post. I have not moved to GO yet, my husband is on his way on Friday to go first, and then I will be on my way towards the 17th of this month. I am still looking for work, and any help would be great.

hey Dmarinho91. my names cathal and im irish.im 29 yrs old. im thinking of moving to goainia.i have a friend there who said i could stay with them. my problem is work. i have my tefl certificate. i have had a lots of jobs but i dont have a college degree and my portuguese is very limitied.i hope to perfect it while im there..if anyone can help with any information that could help me that would be great. or any additional info on working in rio or sao paulo.basically i just wanna come to brazil for the experiance,maybe stay but am finding it difficult to find work and organise the move.

@Cathal -> The Jobs in Goiânia section is at your disposal. Do not hesitate to post an advert there. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

thank you aurelie..much appreciated :)