Some questions on the land business in Kenya.

Dear friends,

I am going to invest some land business in Kenya,but I am not familar with the land policy in Kenya. So I hope anyone who is an expert can help me with the following questions. Thank you very much in advance.

First, can foreigners buy land in Kenya?

Second, if foreigners can buy commercial land in Kenya, he/she can own the  property rights and just the land use rights. If it is land use rights, how mant years can the buyer use the land?

Third, is there any municipal bureau of urban planning and land resouces? If there is, what is the Plot Ratio/Floor Area Ratio/Volume Fraction of one specific land and how the bureau stipulated?

I am right here to look forward your reply. I would be greatly appreciated with your answer.

Many thanks.

Yes it is possible for foreigners to buy and own property in Kenya. You can get more info on this link: globalpropertyguide.com>Home >Africa >Kenya

lucky-vicky,sure foreigners buy land in Kenya,others build and have the rest of their lives in Kenya.the only trick is you have to first come,have a certain duration living here,get the citizenship and then you have equal rights with the Kenyans,the dangerous part is purchasing a land which has either been purchased by the Gvt or agents might give you fake documents and you end up loosing everything.you need advice when you get here before you do anything.

Kenyan laws allow both locals and foreigners to own/ buy or lease commercial and residential real estate/lands located within a town or municipality without any restrictions whatsoever provided that comply with the laid down procedures. E.g they can own land in urban areas and municipalities e.g in Lavington/ Runda ( Land registered under R.T.A Registration of Titles Act)

However, for the agricultural land, or any parcel of land that is registered under the Registered Lands Act or Governments Land Act i.e any land falling within private ranches or near beaches, foreigners or privately owned companies whose shareholders are not all Kenyan citizens  are not permitted to buy such land unless where such transaction has been exempted from the provisions of the Land Control  Act by president pursuant to section 24 thereof. The land control boards, which are established under the said Act,  are prohibited from granted consent to transfer in respect of persons or companies that do not qualify to hold agricultural land.

The new Kenyan Constitution 2010, provides that persons who are not citizen of Kenya as well as companies whose shareholders are not Kenyan Citizen can only own land on  leasehold basis for a term not exceeding 99 years.  In other words, such persons cannot own land on freehold tenure.

Feel free to get in touch for any further legal clarification or assistance. Regards.