Problem with container!

Looking for help of any kind. My fiancé who is Venezuelan but lives in the US, sent all of our things in a container to Venezuela at the end of March. We were told we would receive the container in two weeks. It has now been 3 months and they will not give us our stuff!?! They have already unlocked it which we were told they would not do without us there. They have his passport and are demanding more and more money! Is there anything we can do? Has anyone heard of this problem before? Thanks.

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened ktgrl!

Good luck,
Harmonie.;)

Hi ktgrl,

No good news to tell you I'm afraid... I don't live in Venezuela yet but moving in a few days. When organizing my move I was told NOT to ship anything there, because my stuff would be kept, searched, things would get stolen and I would have to pay up to thousands of pounds to get the rest back.

Whilst this may be a rarity, it seems to happen to quite a lot of people, I'm afraid there isn't much to do.

I know it is easier to say than do, but personally I would not pay huge amounts of money not knowing what I'll get so I would just leave it.

Supposedly you can chase with the shipping company but I assume they will reject responsibility and state some small print condition in your contract...

Sorry for what's happened to you.

Thanks for your reply. My fiance has hired an attorney who says this is 100% illegal and we should be able to get our stuff back and the extra money we were charged. Live and learn. My advice is to never ship anything there! This experience has made me a little apprehensive about moving there :(

Hi ktgrl,

I understand but problems at the shipping stage do not mean it is a bad place. of course i dont know your circumstances and who and why you are coming, but personally I have been here 48hours and loved every minute... this is a beautiful place, with lots to do and see, and nice food, the bad stuff already happened, don't miss on the nice adventure and indeed, you live and learn.

good luck with it all

E

YES, I had the very same experience moving from New Jersey. Shipped my 20' container thru the port of La Guiara, took me almost 1 whole year to get it out of "container jail". What they did in actuality was strip the shipline container, put my goods in a "quarantine area" (HA! found out later it was an open warehouse where anyone with security clearance-which at the port is most individuals-who proceeded to rob anything they cut fit in the trunk of any vehicle, under seats (you get the idea). I had a lawyer working with the customs broker, WHO were the ones working in cahoots with the port. YES, it finally took a "propina" (as one individual called it at the broker, I called it a BRIBE) and finally they miraculously released my personal household goods. Trust me, it really did take a better part of a year to get my stuff, and every time I went to the administrative office at the port OR my friendly thieving customs broker there was always a new problem with my paperwork. My paperwork was prepared by a professional foreign freight forwarder in the port of New York/New Jersey. There was NO problem with the paperwork. And the shipline cannot help you at all, as their responsibility ends with the ship discharging at the port of entry. GOOD LUCK, be prepared to spend some bucks and IF YOU CAN when your cargo is released finally ask to see the contents PRIOR to your hiring a truck(s) to transport your stuff out of the pier. You will find things such as DVD players, DVD's, speakers, tools, ANYTHING that can be smuggled out of the port will be gone. Thank God my large screen TV would have been too obvious to steal, along with large furniture. This happened to me about 5 years ago ......... it seems as if it's business as usual here, even with Pres. Chavez supposedly "cleaning house" when he took over of what he called the "crooked customs inspectors", so he replaced them with (I believe) National Guard. LOL