Young family moving to LA from North London - advise needed

Hi there - we are looking into moving to SoCal. I am American and my husband is from London. We are a family of 5 (7yr old boy, 5 yr old girl, 3 yr old boy) and live in North London (on the borders of zone 3/4 on the tube map)so used to being close to the buzz of a city but with lots of green space.

How do you choose what area of LA?

My husband is an interior architect - where does that industry lie in LA?

I am an executive assistant at a large international advertising agency - again what part of LA has these types of companies?

In London if you work in the media/creative industry most of the companies are in Shoreditch/West End. Does LA have the same centres or is it varied?

Re housing
We are looking for a safe neighborhood, drive to a beach ideal (15 min or a tad more) close to where the work would be and most importantly - has good public schools (I am guessing charted - NOT LA unified school district). Having lived in London since I was 21 I know the "neighbourhoods" but haven't a clue with a LA.

We would also like an area where other Brits are - I want my children/husband settle in as best as they can.

What are everyone's thoughts on Manhattan Beach, Culver City (Santa Monica too expensive for us) - or any other ideas?

Any advice/tips would be great. :)

For both you and your husbands jobs, there isn't really a particular section, maybe downtown LA for the advertising agency. The fashion district actually is in downtown LA.

Manhattan Beach is cool. Culver city isn't my favorite. If Santa Monica is too expensive for you, you might want to consider the North suburbs of LA, Ventura County is very nice and close to the beach. You can find some nice suburbs east of LA (not East LA).

Nicest places still and affordable within 30 minutes of LA in LA County: Arcadia, North Pasadena, Glendora, Claremont, Rowland Heights, Diamond Bar

San Bernardino County within 30-50 minutes: Upland, Rancho Cucamonga, Chino Hills

Orange County (tend to be nicer areas)within 30-50 minutes: Yorba Linda, Brea, La Mirada.

Message me and I can go into further detail for you.

Hi there- I found you request on this site - I know it's from a while back ... Did you get any help with regards to schools for your children - I'm planning to move to LA after Xmas 2014 and looking for just the right school for my 12-13 year old daughter in the LA area( perhaps manhatten beach? ) could do with some advice ! Milly

Hi Millygulamani,

I suggest you to create a new topic on the Los Angeles forum this might surely help, as this topic is quite old.

Regards,

David.