Considering a move to Malta

Hi Everyone,

I am Portuguese and I am considering relocating to Malta but I have few questions which I wonder if any of you would be able to clarify to me.
I have a partner and a 3 years old son and I work for an Online Gaming company based in the UK but my work is done from home.
I get a monthly wages between 1,600.00 to 1,700.00 euros clean per month, free of tax.

Now, my question are:

1. With this kind of income, would I be able to afford a decent accommodation and live normally without struggling much?
2. If I work as self-employer in Malta, what kind of taxes would I have to pay and what sort of figures.
3. What would the cheapest but decent place to live in Malta? somewhere not too far from nurseries/schools and Hospitals.

I appreciate if you can give some sort of tips and advice as it would be my first living experience in Malta. 

Thanks in advance! ;)
Antonio

Hi Antonio,

welcome to the forum.

Check out all the previous questions/answers in the schooling/housing and job sections. There are many tips and different opinions. As you work from home you will not have to commute to work so you can be free in your choice.

I personnally would always recommend living in the Sliema/St.Julians/Swieqi/San Gwann/Kappara area. You have many options and if you are near one of the many frequent buses 11/12/13/14 you can get around nicely until late in the night.

With the salary you quote you should be fine here in Malta but what do you mean by ' free of tax'? Do you pay taxes in the UK ?

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Thank you for your reply and for your tips and advice.

In regards to your query, what I meant from "free of tax", means that from the salary I get, there are no deductions for National Insurance or other taxes. It's my responsibility to pay for those taxes.
That was the reason I asked, what kind of taxes I would need to pay if I work as a self-employee.

Many thanks,
Antonio

As far as I know, a self-employed pays 7eur per week for national insurance, and then there's the income tax - which is depends on the your annual salary.. between 25-35% depending on if you're married or not..

Hi Antonio,

SSC is slightly more than 7 €/week in your income class and as a single.

To be exact it is either 15 % of your yearly income or either 50.24 or 56.78 ...per week !

As a single person your income tax band is 25 % with a deductable 2725 €.

You can check it out at ird.gov.mt

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Anna and Ricky for both of your replies.

@Ricky: I think your are right! I had a look at the ird.gov.mt website and it's more or less what you said. The only thing that I reckon it's not correct, it's the amount of deductible tax you mentioned. As I have a son, I think that the amount deductible it's around €2.975.00 for an income of 15,801 - 21,200 for parent rates.

Thanks again for your help! ;)

Antonio