Kindergarten enrollment

hi everyone,
           i want to know if its easy to ve ur child enrolled at kindergarten, mine is 2.5 yrs old and me and husband would be working when we get there so if not what are my options? i dont wanna ve a nanny at home.

I have the same question :) Mine will be 3.5 -4 when we get to NZ.

Hello,

I hope you'll get some answers soon.

Melissa

Kindy is from 3yrs -5yrs. Children start school on their 5th birthday or the following Monday ;) If you are residents, then at 3, your child will get 20 ECE hours (early child education), however, it's not free. You must contribute. Community kindys are cheaper but are term time only; private are more expensive.

All 3 of mine (aged 2x 3yrs and 22mths) are at a private daycare as we live in the wops (semi rural) and there's not much choice: pro - no waiting list! The north shore, where we were when we arrived estimated 6mths!!! So get off the plane and sign up for all of them: yellow pages! At the park ask everyone!!

What you are after is a private daycare/crèche. You'll need to work out where you're going to live and then (usually) go on a waiting list. Sign up to all of them! The big chain daycare centers are: kindercare, lollipops...

There are in-house childcare like PORSE  hporse.co.nz where you drop them at someone's house.

Don't be afraid of a nanny - especially if you have no family support. My 2 kids got ill lots when we arrived: new bugs, no immunity and its common to get bugs - without family support it'll mean days off due to your child's illnesses. Gumtree or trade me are good places to find nannies.

Hi Sameboat,

Can you tell me the procedure for a children above 5yrs..if i'm on a work visa, will i need a student visa for my child? How much will i need to pay for school?

Really sorry - no idea. I only know what I know - we had full residency. I imagine on a work visa there would be greater costs involved? At present families make a 'voluntary contribution' per year to the school. My understanding is unless you are in poverty, you make te contribution. Also, parents must buy each child: paper, pens, books, uniforms (if the school has one). I think the costs are dependant on if its a decile 1-10 school. Decile 10 being the 'best'.

My understanding of decile ratings is that it's not rating the education as such, but the socio-economic of the pupils that attend. So decile 10 schools are in a 'wealthy' area so parents can pay and presumably equipment is bought, compared to decile 1 where there's talk of providing free breakfasts as these children often don't eat.

There's a website that lists all schools and their decile breakdown and also breaks down the pupils ethnic origin: white kiwi/Maori/pacific island/Asian/ etc. very different to the UK ;)
I can't remember the website but maybe (if interested) you could google decile ratings for schools or something!

All I know is that you'll pay more on a working visa at the Doctors/hospitals.

hi sameboat,
              how re the medical facilities for the one on resident visa?

Fantastic. Different doctor's practices charge different prices. Ours currently its $17 per visit but previously it was $20. Children under 5 don't have to pay.

that good thanks Sameboat

hi
permit me to ask this question
what is the monthly cost of daycare for a kid of 2-3 years
how much i gotta pay
and doctors visits cost too if a child is sick and i have to take him to doc