New PhD Student moving to Budapest

Hello Expats!

My name is Xabi and I am moving to budapest on August 27th. If anyone would like to meet up or give me some advice I would very much appreciate it as I will need plenty of advice and would love to meet some of the expat community in Budapest!

Feel free to reply here or message me!

Thanks,
Xabi

Holá, and welcome!

I am actually dying to know what made you decide for Budapest? grad student salaries are not sky-high around here - or are you in CEU?  or is your major mathematics?
anyway, if you are a city-dweller, I think you'll like it more than, say, Heidelberg, or such some insignificant village...;-)

Hi thanks for your reply!

I decided for Budapest because out of the offers I had it was the most scientifically interesting for me so that was the main thing. In case you are interested here is some info about the project http://www.dynano.eu/project-description

Currently I'm living in Barcelona and it sucks to leave this amazing city but I have heard I am also very lucky because Budapest is really amazing.

xabier wrote:

Hello Expats!

My name is Xabi and I am moving to budapest on August 27th. If anyone would like to meet up or give me some advice I would very much appreciate it as I will need plenty of advice and would love to meet some of the expat community in Budapest!

Feel free to reply here or message me!

Thanks,
Xabi

I am free for a drink. How about this Friday? I will bring my hubby who is Hungarian. Doing research is also his favourite.

Hi Evelyn!

Thanks for your reply! I will not arrive to Budapest until Monday 27th

Best,
Xabi

Oh yeah, I forgot that. Next week, then.

Sounds great!

Budapest is an amazing city! I love it here. Hopefully you will enjoy it too. :)

xabier wrote:

Hi thanks for your reply!

I decided for Budapest because out of the offers I had it was the most scientifically interesting for me so that was the main thing. In case you are interested here is some info about the project

Currently I'm living in Barcelona and it sucks to leave this amazing city but I have heard I am also very lucky because Budapest is really amazing.

Oh,you're an MC fellow - so you will be not quite as poor as most academics around here... I'd want a MC position in Budapest, too(sysbio modeller postdoc)...
I do not know Barcelona, or even any larger  Spanish city well, but from my gut-feeling it is not a bad deal. Especially if you feel young enough to learn a bit of Hungarian. Anyway, consider yourself lucky not to have gotten yourself to terrible places like Oxford, Cambridge, Göttingen, or the ETH in Zürich (which, as a Viennese saying claims, is double the size of the Vienna Central Cemetery - but offers only half the fun :-p) - I'm joking, of course, kinda...

I'm very happy to read all your replies thanks, I am definitely looking forwards to it and learning hungarian is one of my biggest goals so I am enrolling in intensive courses.

I also definitely recommend visiting Barcelona it is really one of the most amazing things ever!

So, have you  moved yet?;-)

Hi everyone!

Yes I have moved here, however I am in temporary housing with and running up and down amazing Budapest in order to complete most paperwork. I believe I am moving in to my new place next monday (let's keep fingers crossed)