Riyadh Map. Add places!!!

So, i started a google maps that everyone can edit.

http://goo.gl/maps/8sbKP

that is the link.  Add places as accurate as possible please.

make sure you post a minimum:
Name of places
Short description
Any tips or whatever about the place.
your Forum name (for tracking purposes)
ENGLISH ONLY.

Markets, souks, and other places of interest
http://goo.gl/maps/OH96s

Food map
http://goo.gl/maps/vydc4

It can only be as good as we make it!

UPDATE
I will be dividing the maps into TWO maps
One for Food only.
the other for everything else.

There is starting to get a large influx of food, which makes it difficult to navigate while on mobile due to all the locations to scroll through.  this way if you want food, just open the food map.
I will update the post with the link once complete

I like the idea! the procrastinator in me always gets the better of me, but I promise I'll try.

Salman

123 people. and noone can help?

seriously?

:up:

Don't know if it is a good idea to show where people gather in Saudi!!:whistle:

Not the point bro

Freshlikesushi wrote:

123 people. and noone can help?

seriously?

This is because you didn't find a proper suit, right?

no i have one.

not sure how you are helping however.

Freshlikesushi wrote:

no i have one.

What type of places do you want users to add? Other than those already embedded? Adding a place called Herfy over one that's already present on the map at the same coordinates with the same name doesn't make sense to me.

Freshlikesushi wrote:

not sure how you are helping however.

Patience is virtue, so be patient if you want to be sure of anything. :|

specialty places mostly.
malls
souks
resturaunts

herfy isnt really needed since there is one on every corner
i added mcdonalds near me in case im hungry and out i dont have to hunt for one.

it is tailored more to westerners id imagine
as i go to malls, i note stores that may be of interest and add them, as well as when im driving around

also, when you search on google maps, things dont always come up as they should.  So even if we have a bunch of stuff, it is what it is

if people actually do this, ill end up making a few maps, one for food, one for shopping, one for whatever else is needed.

we have 3 diff maps for okinawa all done the same way. works out well. whenever someone asks where something is, we can point them to the map. if it isnt there, we try to find it, then add it to the map for the next person.

helps people explore more non mainstream things, which is why it is important that the more senior guys and girls, and saudis fill in with good resturaunts, maybe womens salons, the different compounds, specialty stores (kitchen stores were a topic recently), auto repair shops, activities (red sands keep comming up)

Freshlikesushi wrote:

specialty places mostly.

After giving some thought, I think it's better if we add the category to each place title. Say, for example, if you add 20 McDonalds restaurants, the description of each should indicate the area where it's located and the title should look like this: "RESTAURANTS - McDonalds" so you can stack all restaurants in one place. This way the list with all the places we add will be more user-friendly. Of course, after adding the area first, you can add the details related to the place.
Basically no one would look on the map first trying to reach out to their area to find a restaurant but instead they will look on the list and click on the desired place. This is why when you're searching for a place you use the search field first and not the actual map. Anyway, after adding one place, all you need to do is drag the new place to its corresponding "stack".

Bruckner wrote:
Freshlikesushi wrote:

specialty places mostly.

After giving some thought, I think it's better if we add the category to each place title. Say, for example, if you add 20 McDonalds restaurants, the description of each should indicate the area where it's located and the title should look like this: "RESTAURANTS - McDonalds" so you can stack all restaurants in one place. This way the list with all the places we add will be more user-friendly. Of course, after adding the area first, you can add the details related to the place.
Basically no one would look on the map first trying to reach out to their area to find a restaurant but instead they will look on the list and click on the desired place. This is why when you're searching for a place you use the search field first and not the actual map. Anyway, after adding one place, all you need to do is drag the new place to its corresponding "stack".

Can you make "categories" within the map? Im not 100% sure and havent tried yet. i may later

really though, if you dont look at the list, and just zoom in on your location, then it would serve the purpose.

Because if you are looking for say, kingdom hospital, you are going to ignore the rest of the things.

And then, how do we categorize the areas? I dont know what the sections of the city are called, so i cant really even contemplate how to arrange it.  Thats why i was thinking once we get to a larger number of items on the map to separate them to different category maps all together to make it easier.

so you wont even see mcdonalds on a map that has malls is the end ideal

you can see how we set it up in japan here
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& … hl=en&z=11http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& … 16544&z=12http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& … 16544&z=12http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& … 16544&z=12http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&m … 8150fd6ccf

I've done some editing. Tried to use custom icons for each category but they're not working all the time. Don't think you'll need to make separate maps. Cheers.

http://bit.ly/RiyadhMap

ahhhhhh yeah the icons are a good idea. i can rearrange it also to put them in the order to fit icons.  i didnt even think of that

your help is greatly appreciated!

Freshlikesushi wrote:

ahhhhhh yeah the icons are a good idea. i can rearrange it also to put them in the order to fit icons.  i didnt even think of that

your help is greatly appreciated!

Glad I could help.
You can use custom icons from Logopedia http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Logopedia(good source with steady urls) but gmaps won't preview them on "My icon" list... or maybe it's because of my browser. Cheers!

Tidied it up a little bit. Also, just a question, did we want to lump Fast Food places in with actual restaurants? There is an icon for Fast Food places and perhaps we could have it as a separate category?

if we keep going up at this rate. i will make two maps. one for restaurants one for everything else.  its getting kinda cluttered haha

tonguetwister wrote:

Tidied it up a little bit. Also, just a question, did we want to lump Fast Food places in with actual restaurants? There is an icon for Fast Food places and perhaps we could have it as a separate category?

Was thinking the same thing when adding the icons the other day... There's another icon we can use. The one with the plastic cup and a hamburger. The category can be named FAST FOOD or so...

Freshlikesushi wrote:

if we keep going up at this rate. i will make two maps. one for restaurants one for everything else.  its getting kinda cluttered haha

True... You should see how it looks with custom icons. They're bigger than the ones from gmaps library.

I am not sur ehow you guys use the maps

but how i always used it, is i go somewhere i needed to go. Then i pop out the phone and see what else is around.  Then i use that and GPS to find stuff near me. 

rarely do i plan things out ahead of time except that first place to go.  so categories dont really help me since i would never see them on my android.  I guess we should see how others may use it also?

This Map can become something bigger than we think, I really wish if Julien or the Team can Sticky this thread..

i tried to get 4 diff mods to just put it in my sig....and noone will do it.

hmm, Julien always comes in when we need him :D

what part do you need embedded in your sign?

Sticked ;)

You da man Armand! :D

Freshlikesushi > is you sig fine like this ?

perfect
now i dont have to find hte link every time

thanks

Thanks Julien!! :lol:

a pleasure !

I really like the idea, willl contribute def

This a great effort, and since I first saw this post, I'm planning to contribute and probably sit the whole day this weekend to map the locations, as I know a lot of places that are missing.

going today to check out the race track on teh way to qassim and scout more locations!

you mean the Reem ring?

nah. there is a place i marked on the map as a karting track.

it seems to be so, however it looks run down and stuff.  There are new locks on the gates, and fresh water bottles and stuff, so im not sure whats up with it

I will be going to Rheem to do carts sometime soon, also when the real racing starts to go take pics

Im in an interesting japanese accessory store called eppo right now. let me try tagging it

YES Please!!!!

Darnit, am i suppose to usethe web browser or google maps app on my phone to add a location? Do i need to be logged on?

Fresh man i need help here

we browser
logged into your gmail account, add from there

i normally mark it on my phone, then when i get home go in and bring it up on google maps, it will show the places marked on your phone, with android anyways. and do everything else in the browser

ok, I recall the place, lets do me first input shall we :D

Update:

Yay!! I've added my first location! :lol:

SHOPPING - Eppo

though Daiso is a better place. lol

@fresh,
What is easiest way to update this maps on the go?? I would really like to help and build this map

easiest is to mark places on your phone using google, then update the starred places with names on the main map

I KNOW there is an easier way, but i dont yet know.

On a side note. i keep seeing new things pop up when i use the map! Thanks for helping those of you that are doing it!!!!! I have been lazy, but there are a few motorsports related places i need to update