Permanent visa

Hola.   I wondered if someone would share with me their recent experience with obtaining a permanent DR visa.   My husband and I are working with a good lawyer, but I was also interested in a first hand experience from someone.

Did it just take one day trip to Santo Domingo to change from temporary visa to permanent visa status?   Was there any medical exam again?   

Also,  how long does a "permanent visa" card last? Is it permanent or does it have to be renewed every two years, under current DR law?

Gracias for sharing your time and wisdom.
Best regards, estella

I never heard of a permanent visa. I would think your talking about residency? It takes more than one trip unless your lawyer is a miracle worker. You have to deposit papers, give blood, chest exrays. But if you have a good lawyer he should ave told you all that.

I did mine by myself. Took me a long time and lots of frustration. But I did not have the cash to pay a lawyer. I did mine 10 years ago so I cannot remember all the stuff I had to go through. I do have permanent residency but it still needs to be renewed every 2 years.

It should take one trip to go from temporary residency to permanent.  However the laws recently changed and they may now require a repeat medical exam.
Your "good" lawyer should be able to tell you this.
In the beginning at least you need to renew every two years.

Bob K

This process seems to be taking much longer now...  My previous Permanent Residency was for 4 years and it took one day to go in the morning and get the paperwork in and do the testing on site.  I have been two weeks attempting to do the renewal process and still do not have an appointment.  Paperwork has been submitted...

Wow that is unusual!

Wow took us 2 weeks to renew ours a couple of months ago (4th renewal). One day in PP to submit paperwork and get physical done then notified one week later to go to Santo Domingo to get the cards.
No problem.

I am Srinivasa from INDIA. Could any one suggest me a good lawyer to get Permanent Residency. I heard that there is a fast track route by INVESTMENT. Could any body share the requirements.

is there any government link to Immigration LAW.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

The special program for investors is pretty specific. I will open a new thread about this.

This is an old thread and I don't want to confuse the old rules with the new ones.

And welcome to the forums!

There is a large thread about residencia here, most of that info applies to investors residencia.  Start there honey.

Thanks a lot indeed for your support.  Please add me into the new thread so that i can get the information.

Greetings Bob.......I'm still in the process of applying for my temp Residency. I went with a good but inexperienced lawyer who is a friend and I expected it to drag out as she learned. However, she learned the ministry made an error and now the Ministry is stringing it out. My question is you mentioned you went to PP for a checkup. If there is some place in PP that is authorized to do the medicals I would appreciate knowing where - I would rather avoid having to go to Santo Domingo if possible. The learning continues...

2vp. The first part of this thread is very old and under the old rules. That is why I sent Raoj to the other thread.

I can't add people to threads. Go to the main list of threads for this country.  The residencia thread appears in the top threads as it is pinned.

HI, I'm planning to go through the residency process.  Could you give me the name and contact information for your immigration attorney?

Happy to many of us recomme d Lishali and she can be reached at +1 (809) 860-1231. This is her cell and whatsapp

Thank you!