Martial Arts, BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) or MMA In Cuenca?

Hello,

First off, let me just say that I love this forum. It's been super helpful for me in planning my temporary move to Cuenca. Unlike many who frequent this forum, I'm not a retiree. I'm 27 and am looking for an adventurous break from the cubicle here in the States (Washington, DC, to be specific).

Cuenca looks perfect. I have one concern, however. I train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and mixed martial arts, and I'm wondering if there are any gyms that offer this sort of training.

Now, before anyone tears apart my question, I am aware that you can Google these sorts of things. I found this place:

facebook.com/pages/Alliance-Jiu-Jitsu-Cuenca/113446838775023

I have emailed them with no response (my Spanish sucks, so that probably didn't help).

Also, I know one obvious answer is "Why don't you go to Brazil??". I don't want to. Cuenca looks awesome and fits my budget. If there was a place where I could train BJJ and/or MMA, that would be the cherry on top.

Anyone participate in martial arts in Cuenca?

Thanks in advance!

-Brock

That facebook page appears to be the same place that is mentioned in the following ad frequently posted on the gringo tree. You might want to send an email to that person. I also see a Taekwando place out the right window when I come back from the Mall del Rio on the #7 bus.

The Martial Arts Center, Siu Liem, offers classes in the various forms of Tai Chi, not just exercises. Classes are also available in various forms of Kung Fu, including Xing I Chuan. Students at any level are welcome.

Tai Chi improves concentration, flexibility, health, and tranquility; it strengthens the body and mind to insure an optimal state. Being oriented to mental quietude, Tai Chi is particularly beneficial, as it is not exhausting but relaxing, harmonizing the central nervous system. Xing I Chuan develops physical strength and a more observant, instinctive, and perceptive mind. It is defined by explosive movements, followed by an instant of rigidity. There are only a few easy-to-learn movements with innumerable variations. Perhaps the greatest advantage is the state of mind it promotes. Delivering a refined force without emotional attachment, it elevates the spirit while it remains, calm, peaceful, and under control.

The center is located at Remigio Crespo 7-80 between Guayas and El Oro, third floor.

For more information and class schedules in English, contact Rich Westcott at 282-0815. You may also contact him at [email protected]. The phone for the center is 288-4556. It can also be seen on Facebook at siu liem.

I'll check that out...thanks for the quick reply!

Anyone else know of any sort of martial arts or cross fit gyms in Cuenca?

FYI I'm in Cuenca and am going to check out Alliance BJJ this week. I'll keep you all posted.

-B

[moderated: advertisement]

Hey. I read your post about MMA in Cuenca. You are a step ahead of me, am leaving to the same city next week and now looking for a place to practice.
I thought since we got the same interest and in a sense are in the same position, we should try to get in touch.
Feel free to e-mail me in my yahoo account if interested.
Train Hard!

Hey, I'm not in Cuenca anymore. Back in DC for the time being. But Alliance Cuenca was a great gym to train at. If you go there, tell Freddy and Edmundo that Brock said what's up!

-Brock

I was in Cuenca for a few months, but was still working on my Karate belts. I ended up finding a nice place to train TKD on the 2nd floor of some gym. I have since taken up BJJ and have my 2nd stripe on my silly white belt from a JJ Machado school.

My friends still live in Cuenca and I'm making final plans to move back very soon.

How did you like Alliance? Were there english speaking Professors? My Spanish was getting better, but I'm sure I'll be starting all over again. I've been digging around looking for a decent BJJ school there and Alliance is almost always the only thing that pops up. Either they're the only legit school or their social networking guru is a wizard.

Thanks and how very odd I found your question,
Joe

Hey I'm in Cuenca for the next 2 weeks and keen to start BJJ. Do you recommend it, know the rough costs?

I'll try and pop down there today.

[moderated: no ad on the forum please]

Do they offer classes for younger kids, and what are the costs like?

I will have a look for you ok my email is [email protected] espanol is my second language...brasil is portugese speaking but they can understand 50 percent of what your saying like the itailnas can.... I will get back to you ok tony