Visa extension beyond 6 months

I'm looking for some up-to-date advice on how to extend a tourist visa beyond 6 months (I've already renewed my visa once). The general consensus is that you have to leave the East African community to get new tourist visa - going to Ethiopia tends to be the most popular way. My question is if anyone knows how long a person has to be out of Kenya for? Can you go for only a few days or do you have to be gone for a minimum amount of time? I've also heard rumours that people coming from Ethiopia have to obtain their Kenyan visa at the embassy in Addis Ababa, not simply at Kenyatta airport upon arrival. Any advice would be appreciated.

In tourist visa you cant Re - enter in kenya with same tourist visa. While coming back you have to pay for getting another tourist visa @ the Kenyatta airport
Cheerzz!!!
Rohit

Mmm not the details I'm seeking. How long does a foreigner have to be gone from the East African community to obtain a brand new tourist visa after already spending 6 months in Kenya?

If you are on Multiple pass Visa, then you dont require another new visa to come back in Kenya. But if you were on Tourist visa, then its dosnt matter if you were here for 3 months or 6 months. Then you have to go for new one.

Tourist visa is single entry visa only for one country, that too entering once only and you can stay thr till its valid. And its not valid for entire East African countries.

Its better you go thru the Emigration helpline no. n confirm things.

Rohit

Hi Graham, You are correct in the assumption that you cannot extend a tourist visa beyond 6 months, without leaving the country.  What I am unsure about is whether you have to travel outside the East African Community, before re-entering.  Technically, you just need to cross the border, then return and I know that people used to do this.  However, as immigration rules have become stricter, It is rumoured that immigration don't really like people crossing the border simply with the purpose of renewing their visa. 

I have always returned to the UK between visa applications.  It should also be noted that the visa application form does include a clause where you declare that you will be returning to your home country.  You may well have to pay 'chai'!

I have extended a 3 month visa several times and have always been questioned about the reasons for this, on departure.  When I entered Kenya, in February, I was given a very hard time by the immigration officer because I had extended my previous two visas to 6 months.  He then allowed only one month on my visa and told me that I should be satisfied with that.

I hope that you 'registered as an alien' when you extended your visa.  It is an offence not to do this after 90 days and you can be arrested when you try and leave the country. 

Rohit:  It is possible to enter Tanzania, or Uganda, then return to Kenya without needing to purchase a new Kenyan tourist visa (provided it is still in date).  Have done so.

You have to leave the country, return and start the 3 mo. visa + 3 more mo. process all over again. YOU CAN NOT LEAVE AND RETURN FROM A BORDERING COUNTRY.  CHECK
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t … ID=2175006

snowcap wrote:

You have to leave the country, return and start the 3 mo. visa + 3 more mo. process all over again. YOU CAN NOT LEAVE AND RETURN FROM A BORDERING COUNTRY.  CHECK
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t … ID=2175006

I have a simple question, you can be:

6 months stay in Kenya,
and then, six months stay in Tanzania.

and eventually ( after those 6 months )
Go back to Kenya?.

asante sana

PD,
I ask,
I have a friend in Kenya
who is married a local women,
and does this every year .( many years )
(he stay six months in Kenya , and six months in your country or in the neighboring cauntry )
and has had no problems.

Is the Kenya immigration system computerised? I have been to many countries and although the immigration office passes  the  passport by some scanner it is not necessarily linked up to a centralised server which keeps a record  a on how many days you have been in the country. I am usually in and out of Kenya very often, my passport is full of visas and masses of entry and exit stamps, I am usually quizzed about how long I have stayed and I'm given a reminder of the 90 days stay in 180 day period, question is when do the measure the 180 period as I have lots of stamps. I always keep a personal record and have never broken the rules but I don't think their computer system is linked up or counts up the days, possibly scanning for criminal record.

Perhaps you are getting close to the 90 day:180 day limit (at which point you should register as an alien).  They do take this quite seriously. One of my daughters was detained, on departure for exceeding the 90day rule. She was lucky to get off with a warning, but only because my Wife knew our MP. I don't think there is a actual official start date for each 180 day period. Perhaps it is measured backwards from your date of arrival, each time you travel. Y

For how long did you stay in Uganda/Tanzania before you crossed back into Kenya?

Hi vasilievich,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that you posted on an old thread.

I invite you to create a new discussion with all your questions on the Kenya forum.

Can you please specify your questions so that the members can better help you?

Thank you

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

hii as long it shows u left the country and ur passport was stamped no specified days.my husband was frm uk he stayed for one year we used to go to tanzania for a day or 2 then come back  to kenya but u have to pay 50 dollers at the bonder

for me, I arrived Kenya about a month ago with a transit visa. my 90days period will terminate first week of March. I actually wish to extend my stay till April. What possible advise can anyone render to me, I don't also want to find myself on the other side of the law.   thanks