Flying into Bangkok on a one-way ticket - will I have problems?

Hi,

A bit of advise needed.

I am a British passport holder

On 02SEP I am travelling from HCMC to Bangkok with AirAsia on a oneway ticket. I intend to spend 6 days in Thailand and then travel back to Vietnam through Cambodia overland.

I have read conflicting things on travel websites as to whether I need to pre-arrange a visa for Thailand because I do not have onward travel booked. Ideally I just want to get a visa on arrival

I know for Cambodia I can just get one on the border.

- Has anyone done this trip recently and can give me any advise?
- Also any tips for going overland Bangkok to Seim Riep?

Thanks,

Ben

Thai immigration police normally doesn't ask for a return ticket, as per my experience, but it may be that they see on my passport that I have been there so many times so they may figure that I am not going to overstay.

Hang on. British citizens do need a visa to come in? What do you mean by visa on arrival? Thailand gives most European countries one month stay without visa. Is that what you meant?

Visa on arrival is a mess in Thailand. Don't try that.

Thanks for the advise

Yes I think the 30 days without visa is what I meant, its just i've read to get this you need onward travel.

I have one-year vietnam multiple entry visa. I don't know if they will look at that and figure thats where I live/work so I dont intend to stay in Thailand visa free.

I am literally just planning on being there 6 days before moving onto Cambodia

They would not care less about the Vietnamese multiple entry visa. Your British passport may carry some weight, though I doubt it. There are so many Europeans overstaying their visa in Thailand.

Anatta wrote:

Thai immigration police normally doesn't ask for a return ticket, as per my experience, but it may be that they see on my passport that I have been there so many times so they may figure that I am not going to overstay.

Was never asked for my return ticket the 2 times I went to Bangkok, unlike at HCMC. First time I wasn't asked, but second time I was.

As far I know, some travellers get as for a ticket out, not necessarily a return ticket.
Myself, with a bout 50 arrival in BKK, never have been ask anything for, apart from a smile for the camera.

I have traveled in and out of BKK dozens of times and have never been asked to show a departing ticket.

Good luck!

Anatta wrote:

can reconfirm with my recent trip that the Thai immigrant officers did not ask for return ticket from me or any of the 20 plus tourists I observed.

Also, the Vietnamese immigrant officer did not ask for return ticket either.

The UK passport holders do NOT require a visa.

See: < http://www.worldtravelguide.net/thailand/passport-visa >.

In the remote chance they ask you for outbound ticket just tell them you are going to Laos and China by land transportation. They never hassle UK passport holders unless they are on their computer as a bad guy.

I have three months visiting visa I want comeing bangkok by one way ticket is possible are not plzzzzzz give me advice

Not a problem - usually.

In the remote chance they ask you for outbound ticket just tell them you are going to Laos and China by land transportation.

Or call the
Thai consulate
77 Tran Quoc Thao Street
District 3, Ho Chi Minh City

Tel. (848) 3932-7637-8
web: www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/

It depends the departure immigration  :)
I was rejected from Bangalore Airport once!
If you are flying from India, yes, you need a return ticket or a Thailand TRC/PRC?Work Permit
Another option is to cancel the return ticket and get back money after you reach BKK

kottam laxman reddy wrote:

I have three months visiting visa I want comeing bangkok by one way ticket is possible are not plzzzzzz give me advice