Would salary of 100 K - 135 K CAD be good for Toronto?

Hi there,

I currently live in Johannesburg and am seriously considering moving to Toronto later this year (with wife and baby boy). Our standard of living is very good in Johannesburg.

Just throwing some numbers around, if someone could get somewhere between 100 K CAD and 135 CAD working in Toronto, what sort of honest lifestyle could you have? Would this be comparable to about 65 K POUNDS or 90 K EUR with a similar lifestyle?

I know for example in Germany a salary of 90 K EUR would be pretty good and you would have a pretty good lifestyle....

Would I be able to afford renting a nice 3 bedroom, maybe 150 square meter place in the suberbs OUTSIDE of Toronto? I would hope for un-furnished but would be open to furnished as well...

Also, what is the commute like from these outer suburbs into the city center? I am hoping to not have to commute more than 45 minutes either direction.

To the other South Africans over there, looking back now are you 100% happy you made the move? I would imagine so..

Thanks for the help, any advise would be hugely appreciated here!

Lynton

Hi Lynton,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

$100-150k/year would be exceptional money in any nation, why would Canada be any different? I am not sure if you are dreaming of that salary, as it would put you in the top 10% in Canada.

I lived in Toronto for 20 years.  It is an expensive city, and Canadians are taxed to death .. income tax, GST (sales) taxes, gas, etc., etc.

That amount sounds like a lot, and you can live ok, but at the end of the day you be be surprised how fast the money goes.

That's a good amount. But yes, Toronto is an expensive city.

Yes you would have a good lifestyle living in Toronto and of course as you go outside of the city your living accommodations become cheaper.  your budget for housing, food is cheaper but offset by transport. We have an extensive subway system which makes it easy to commute in and out of the city.

I myself live about 45 minutes north of Toronto and work in The city as a Realtor. To rent a 3 bedroom condo (not too many available) you easily look at $ 2000 plus / month. We have excellent schools in Toronto and very good universities.

I have helped several people coming from overseas with accommodations so I know the challenges with moving to another country.

If I can help with anything, please let me know.

Elly de Winne

Ellydewinne@realtor