Foreign car in Malta unregistered, with enforcements.

Doesn't the road tax apply only when the car is still in UK? And all this you posted from DVLA applies only when it's sold to a person living in UK?

In my country there would be no problem if I had a foreign car registered to a person in UK and I have only purchase agreement. I can even sell this car to another person giving him my purchase agreement with the owner on a logbook as well as new agreement between me and that new owner. That's why I'm so surprised you cannot do this in Malta. Also I could insure my car while it was not registered to my name, hence my disappointment today when insurance company said it is no longer possible (said that there were some changes in regulations just a few months ago and before it was no problem to insure a car just giving my ID and showing the purchase agreement).

So to sum up: I can't sell the car here, I can't insure it and I can only register it when I become resident (I need to be employed for that right?) bu will have to pay the huge tax.

Martin

If the vehicle is UK registered then it has to comply with UK legislation to be legal in ANY EU country.

The law has been changed to stop stolen cars being resold in a different country, anyone could write out a receipt for a car and say they owned it.

Lots of people drive around in foreign registered cars and either hope they wont be challenged or believe it when people tell them its OK.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

If the vehicle is UK registered then it has to comply with UK legislation to be legal in ANY EU country.

The law has been changed to stop stolen cars being resold in a different country, anyone could write out a receipt for a car and say they owned it.

Lots of people drive around in foreign registered cars and either hope they wont be challenged or believe it when people tell them its OK.

Its not legal.

Terry

Well I am certainly not going to drive it from tomorrow, don't want any problems since I have just moved here, just wondering what is the best way to go here. I will call Malta Transport tomorrow and see what they tell me, will share the info when I get it. Thanks guys.

Martin

Hi Martin,

I wish you luck. Please let us know how things go and what info you get on your situation.

It's not just Malta ! You would have had a big problem had you been stopped by the police anywhere on your way to Malta.

Ricky

Good luck from me as well.

I'll be very interested in any result you get.

One thing to check is go to this site and enter the registration number and it will tell you the current status (in the UK ) of your vehicle.

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

depending on its status, It may help your case with the Maltese authorities.

Terry

I didnt know a maltese resident could not drive a foreign registered car...i know of at least one who is driving one that was SORN in the UK at the begging of the year the car was driven over here and he has been driving it for months now  .no tax ..no MOT...no insurance...maybe one law for one and one for others

Its the law in most (if not all) EU  countries and a car that is SORN in the UK is declared as off the road.

S.O.R.N. stand for "statutory off road notification".

Its the same law for all but with little or no enforcement in Malta its a risk many take.

Terry

And get away with it seems

unless has an accident, then will be in deep doodoo

you may also find this a useful fact to know........
I can only give you the benefit of my own personal experience . I brought my car in March which I had shared with my daughter for two years with me and although I had been driving it for two yrs the log book was still in her name and I only changed it  a month before arriving. To keep the car here was 1,773 euro in Vat and by the time I had paid for the plates, admin , Jevic, car insurance tax and everything else it was going to cost over E 2,500 . It wasnt worth iit.
I had a meeting with one of the main guys at Transport Malta.

Here is what I was officially permitted to do and was legal and all above board
Drive the car for 6 mths as a 'tourist'  and to do this you must keep your GB sticker on the car. You actually get allowed 7 mths but the car must go off the island by that point.

You can not become a resident and file for an ID card in that time as once you file for residency you must register the car. Without the Id card you can still apply for your social security number, tax and banking  regardless but it becomes a faf without an employment contract.

If you are coming for employment then all you need is proof of your employment contract and go to the offices with every bit of paperwork, keep the car taxed and insured in the Uk at all times, and give them your employment contract and 35 euros, they will give you a temporary permit for your car for 1 year ( by that point you have achieved 1 yr and 7 mths with the car in the country)
At the end of the 7mths I didnt have any proof that my car had come into Malta on the ferry as we had discarded the tickets ( your meant to keep them) even though I had proof of this digitally it wasnt enough for them so they suggested I take the car off the island for a few days , go visit Sicily and re enter, keep the documents of entry and return with all paperwork and money for permit. Done within 3 hrs.

If you want to ship it over or return it then I would highly recommend you use a company based here and in England called Trotters Independent traders Malta. They offer a really good price to import / export your car for you with as little fuss as possible. For mine it was £650.

To get European insurance in Uk for 365 days of the year... Asdas 5* policys are the only ones that will cover you. For me it was less than £300 for the year on fully comp on an 09 plate including breakdown in europe.

The only issue I have come up against is the Mot as this has to be done in the uk so it will be due next year before the permit expires .....Im still trying to figure out if theres a way round that one!

It really isnt as hard as people make out it is. I have to say though  once you make that road trip with the car , your here to stay because its not something I would want to do again. Good luck with the journey!

Thank you so much for your feedback on your own experience.
I intend to do something similar when I come back to Malta in October 2016, and this gave me some interesting ideas.
I will not be employed but self-employed as a Lawyer and I may be coming from France to Malta with my French registered car; I hope that having the wheel on the left side will not be a problem.  :/
Any advice welcome.
Cheers.
François

After your 12 months expires you will still be liable to pay the registration tax as you will not have owned the vehicle for over 24 months outside of Malta.

Terry

That solution (car in Malta 6 months) might satisfy TM, but it wont necessarliy satisfy the law.

If you are here for more than three months you have to apply for your eResidence card, You also have to apply for it if you are working, as with a few exceptions, only residents are allowed to work in Malta.

also, the 6 months is 6 months in 12 - leaving the island with the car and then returning after a few days doesnt give you another 6 months

well go figure....that what I was officially permitted to do by one of the highest authorities in the department and its not breaking any law as we aslo when through the law / rule book.
I am also aware that after the year expires the car will still have to go back  but  by then I will have earned enough here to pay the car to be here and I my husband has residency and they confirmed that this was adequate as an EU citizen.
in my opinion everyone will have a different experience, Malta is renowned for doing things their own way I dont agree with the way they go about things sometimes but it is what itis.

roadtripper wrote:

well go figure....that what I was officially permitted to do by one of the highest authorities in the department and its not breaking any law as we aslo when through the law / rule book.

Oh, I'm sure it was OK for TM, but you do need to apply for eResidence card if stay for more than 3 months at a time. You could go to Sicily every 10 weeks or a day, and restart your 3 months

roadtripper wrote:

Malta is renowned for doing things their own way .

yep :-)