Buying a (used?) car in Ecuador

I guess this question is already here somewhere, but I've looked and can't find anything on it.

What to expats usually do about getting a car?  Or do they?  Or do they find some way to get theirs shipped in?  I have an older but excellent condition Taurus with fewer than 60k miles, would love to find a way to get it to Cuenca if possible.....or if not, buy something similar there.  I can't even find any listings of for sale cars there, new or used.

Help!

Hey,

You can find a lot of info about importing vehicles to Ecuador on Google, and an expat couple at Gringosabroad.com has an article about owning cars in Ecuador.

My understanding, which is just what I've learned reading blogs, is there are a lot of rules and costs.  The car has to be less than four years old, the engine has to be less than 3 liters, and it has to be shipped in a container.  Last, but not least, you must pay something like 40% tax on the value of the car, and they determine the value - that's likely to really hurt, because used cars are worth double what they are in the USA.

Most folks do without, since taxis and buses are cheap.  We're planning on using our bicycles for short shopping trips.

HTH,

John

Not to P.O. my good friend LeftClique, but it's my understanding that only brand new vehicles are allowed to be imported. The taxes make it totally out of the realm of reason to import. There are a ton of used car lots in Cuenca. But, be prepared for sticker shock. A 3 or 4 year old small SUV, or car like your Taurus may well cost in the mid 20's from my experience.
Just one of those trade off things I guess. Pretty reasonable cost of living, gas for the car at 1.47 per gallon.... but, you're gonna get hit with the car prices. Just another trade off deal.
Stay Well,
Neil

Thanks, guys.  I'll start preparing a funeral for my Taurus!

Is very difficult if not impossible to import a car if you are not a returning Ecuadorian. 

An prices here for cars are more expensive.
The same car in the US will cost 3 or 4 thousand dollars less. Also,new cars are sell "clean". that means no cd player, electric windows, A/C even airbags.
But, if you want a car here there's no other option.
Also, here in Cuenca cars are more expensive than in Quito or Guayaquil. Why??  No clue.  But you can save like 4, 5 hundred.

If you want to take a look on prices check www.patiotuerca.com

Vinny

Wow!  This site you gave me for auto quotes, Vinny, is a real eye opener.  I looked for hours the past two evenings for used car prices, found little, and the very cheapest was $17,800, most over 20.  That plus probably ten grand to move and get settled--$30,000 right off the top--I considered a deal breaker, and started reconsidering Panama which I had written off once.  But the more reasonable car possibilities you showed me here bring Cuenca back into the picture.  I'm 72, and pretty good health, but just can't envision having no car in a city of 300,000.  So, I am thinkin' again!  Many thanks, this is a big help.

Warren in Oregon

The difference in car prices in Latin America is very relative: all will even out on a long enough run, say 2-4 years. For example: cars in Panama, Peru, Argentina are a little cheaper (but not much), however gas in Ecuador is 3 times cheaper. I used to spend $200 per month on gas in Quito. Now, in Argentina I'll spend $500. Yes, I drive a lot... In my case, my car expenses will break even in less than 2 years.

Hello Warren,

Is not that bad, even it looks like a lot of people the main part of the city is small and the public transportation is good and inexpensive.
I have a car because I have kids and for working but I always try to use the bus or walk and many expats do the same.

Also remember only high prices cars are automatic, the regular ones uses stick.

Vinny

Vinny,

That is a great website for cars and trucks!

I want the '64 Dodge truck.  I love those old slant sixes and it looks like it's rust free.

I'm going to keep looking and hope a flat-fender Powerwagon shows up - at $1.50 a gallon, I could actually afford gas for one.

John

John,
The biggest thing I noted, being from MN., is I never saw a rusty car in Ecuador. ( many old, not rusty ) I was also surprised not to see a lot of dented cars, considering the way they drive. < BSEG> ( very aggressive )
We put soooo much salt on our roads in the winter, that rust is inevitable.
So, along with never seeing a mosquito, and rust free cars, I think Cuenca is gonna be a great new residence for me!
Stay Well H/B
Neil
PS. I checked out the '64...... SWEET!

HI,

You can only take a car that is 2 years old or newer...Nothing older.  Buy it in US and take there...Cost is prohibitive to do it there.  Unless you don't care what you drive..you can buy a cheap used car there from someone and not have to worry about the nicer things that new cars have to offer...

You cannot bring any used car with you, unless you are an Ecuadorian and stayed abroad for over a year. If the car is titled, the customs here won't let it pass (it better have cert of origin). It must be obviously of 0 mileage or close. And, as everybody noticed from patiotuerca.com, anything that moves is 3 grand or more. Not to worry, there are Chinese models for 9K new, not sure about quality on the long run...

Be very careful when buying a used car in Ecuador. Most people will alter the speedometer to read a much less km than what the car has actually been through. 

Other than that used cars in Ecuador are a good buy because they tend to hold their value quite well! 

suerte, Dom
Ecuador Real Estate

Here in Canada we pay 30-40% more for vehicles than in the USA a lot of people buy in the US import and re-sell.We pay allmost 6.00 a gallon for gas welcome to Canada.We pay higher taxes than in the US. our property values are nuts.We're leaving soon...

I have been living in Ecuador for the past ten years and have bought two vehicles.  The price of used vehicles are much higher than in the states.  For a car like what you are describing your looking at around 10,000 at least.  Your better off buying a new vehicle then selling it later you wont lose much selling used.  I bought a new iehicle over 5 years ago and the value has only droped 4,000.  Its pretty crazy what used vehicles sell for here.  You can only ship new vehicles her.  You will get killed on taxes.

Hello,

As for you question.  Yes you can ship a car to Ecuador but they do have certain retrictions.  No you can not ship your older model car.  Think it has to be the same year as the year you are shipping it in. Plus it is expensive tax wise. Your best bet is to buy here.  But if you live in the city most people dont even need a car.  The bus system is unbelievably cheap, clean and safe. Like 25 to 50 cents to ride.  Or if you are a high roller you can get a cab for 1 to 2 dollars.  Here is a website with some used cars I used.  Sorry only in spanish but will give you an idea of prices.   Check out my blog, we just bought a car and it has great tips for traveling and living in Ecuador.
atruetalltale.wordpress.com

Heres the website for used cars in Ecuador

autos.mercadolibre.com.ec/_PriceRange_2000-8000

I checked some of the prices...outrageous!

another good place to look for cars is olx.com.ec

hello, im new to this forum but the subject of used cars applies. i live in costa rica, but plan to move to ecuador. plan is to travel by bus to ecuador invest money and apply for residency visa then buy a pickup in ecuador use this pick up to return to costa rica pick up a few personal effects and two dogs. question is do you  have any insight into any problem with this plan. thanks for any help or advise. keith

Hi Keith,
A 10 yr old Toyota p/u truck in good enough condition to do a Costa Rica round trip runs $15k - $20k: http://ecuador.patiotuerca.com/usados/- … 4x4?page=1
EC. only allows 1 yr old new cars to be imported, therefore it drives used car prices that are currently in country through the roof tops!! I tried my first year 2008-09 w/ a $10k budget for a used truck that was in fair condition to do extensive road trips.
In 2009-2010 I had a $15k budget for a used truck.
In 2010-2011 I had a $20k budget for a used truck, and it dawned on me, I had to go w/ a new truck for a few $1,000. more:https://picasaweb.google.com/108089047953129234429/2011KiaK2700Diesel15Ton4wd4drHalfMiniVanHalfTruck

All the best,
http://journeymanjack.com/

thanks for your input jack. as far as driving from ec to costa rica, i figured it a no brainer since ive read recent storues in the newspapers of people driving from argentina to alaska, how ever i better check. thanks all keep it coming, keith

Hey Fellas,

There isn't a continuous road from North to South America.  An area between Columbia and Panama called the "Darien Gap" is too rugged for road building, and there are bandits and political/military splinter groups.  It's been crossed by vehicles, but is a major undertaking and people have died trying.  Wikipedia has a good article.

John

thanks john, yep your right, i checked a road map. no road. next question how about  arriving in ecuador by boat, say into the port of manta. any body have any idea about this. i fly but only when nessiary. my spelling sucks. thanks again john, and all keith

Cars are VERY expensive in Ecuador.  One that costs $10,000 in the United States can cost four or five times that amount here.  You will be astounded at how high used car prices are here AND there is little room to negotiate.

In Cuenca, a city rich in history and culture, people live more than 8200 feet above sea level.  Vehicles in the mountain air don't have the rust you will see along the coast. Vehicles also don't depreciate much.

A German automotive engineer told me that one of the most popular SUVs--the Chevrolet Grand Vitara and the Suzuki Grand Vitara might depreciate $1000 a year.  Those two are among the best for the streets and mechanics as they are manufactured here and all the parts are readily available.

You can check, but I was told before coming here that you could not bring used vehicles into the country.

As for Americans, many choose to take cabs, buses or walk. 

The rules of the road are different and technically if you have been here at least 3 months and have a vehicle, you are supposed to get an Ecuadorian license.  Many expats drive with a unexpired license from their country or an international license.

It is possible to buy used cars…….choose wisely…….as mentioned, they frequently change the odometer…….you need to assess the actual milage by the condition of the car…..
Second issue is spare parts…….it can be very hard to find spare parts for some car models…..
You can buy used cars at easonable prices for here………for $15K you can get a nice used car if careful……
Vaya con Dios