Moving to Bali

Hi,

I am an Australian from Darwin.
I am wanting to move to bali for 3-6 months.
Could someone please express there expreince and how they got started in finding work, places etc.
I am very intereted to here what people have to say.
Thanks.

Hello Tegan-Kate10, hope that other members will soon share their experience with you.;)

Harmonie.

hey I would look on the Bali advertiser it comes out every 2weeks and is the most popular place people advertise.

Thanks heaps. what do you do for work there?

at the moment I'm teaching English and learning Indonesian :)

That sounds great. What is your pay like, and how did you find the job.
I also would like to teach english? Do you have to have a cert or something for it?

To work legally, you must have a work permit (US$1,200/year) and a visa(Rp800,000 including photos and fingerprints).
The latter is easy if you have the former.

No work permit may mean prison before repatriation at your own expense.

Hi Tegan,
If you are interested, you might want to search for TESOL course in Australia. They usually have job placement around the world. They provide online course as well. Even TAFE has TESOL course. Or you might want to check i to i website (just google it).

:-)

SCAM WARNING
There are a lot of courses out there.
A lot of them charge for the course, fair enough, but the certificate is useless.
Take care.

I wouldn't have a clue if they were scam or not.
I know TAFE one is for real because it is owned by Australian government :)
I was actually thinking to do the course so I could teach english overseas.

Hey,

Probably your only chance of work will be teaching english for that short time. However it is a low paid wage but enough to live on over here so you don't spend too much of your savings. If you are planning on coming over and enjoying your time, eating out, drinking etc then i would recommend to make sure you have savings as a TEFL job just won't cut it really. Bali is a pretty place and lots of foreigners are looking for work here so they can keep the wages a little lower than some other parts of indonesia.

Yes, you will need a work permit and sponsor to give  this to you as well.... Some companies require a years contract for this to be done so keep that in mind. Do it properly and legally.

Other than that, bali is amazing and you will have a great time :)

Michelle

Hi Tegan,

many expat here in Bali doing any job and most of them doing their own small business like garment and jewellry,

Maybe you could also join Global Expat Recruiting, Job Vacancy in Bali | Hotel Jobs, Bali Jobs, Bali Community page on facebook to get more info, additional networking and share living experience with more expat people that already stayed in Bali for long time. You could also add me into your networking in facebook, my profile name is Yogi InBali and Yogi Prathama. you could add both :-) good luck!

hey,, since you are from Australia, you can apply a job in australian company in Bali, there are many companies thats owned by australian such as school, hospital etc..
i think that will be easier to get your visa when you work in Australia company while you are living here in Bali

:)