Recommendation for Best/Most Picturesque Part of NZ !!

I'm an American who has been working in Saudi Arabia for the last three years.  I'm considering a lengthy holiday in NZ before heading back home to the States but I'm not sure which is the best area in NZ.  I would be renting an apt. so basically anchored in one locale.

I'm looking for a beautiful place to relax and meet people.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Hi Alliecat,

I'm currently living in Auckland, and believe it or not I haven't gotten down to the South Island yet. However, I have explored a lot of the North Island. The Coromandel area is absolutely gorgeous, so is the Northland region above Auckland. The area around Lake Taupo is equally gorgeous if you wanted to base out of the mid North Island.

All that aside, the beauty of the South Island really can't be understated either. There is some absolutely gorgeous areas to explore, especially on the West coast. I guess it depends on what you're looking for exactly. Are there any specific activities that you would be look to do? Or simply sight seeing?

- Jimaba

thanks for the reply, Jim--but basically you're saying everywhere is beautiful, which is what I thought lol  So help me narrow it down!

I've spent the better part of three years in a hot climate surrounded by nothing (sand) so the idea of just walking along the sea in the morning, of seeing mountains ... getting some exercise and talking to people .. having a beer ... all of this is extremely attractive.  I never realized how beautiful NZ is until LOTR.

Haha, sorry about that! Based on what you're telling me, I'm really thinking the West coast of the South Island will suit you perfectly. Gorgeous snow capped mountains and right next to the coast.

Hopefully someone familiar with the South Island can chime in to suggest a specific area or city. :)

I would say anywhere in the south island. Nelson is my favourite place as it has a great mix of beaches, mountains, forests and the town itself has a great collection of bars and restaurants etc. Population is small and overall it's just a really lovely place to spend some time.

LOVE north of Northland. If you love the coast and gorgeous hiking & beaches and lots of artsy folk you'll love it. I found South Island pretty but not as beautiful as the north. And it is warmer in the north. Just my opinion. National Geographic rates our Tutukaka coast as the 3rd most beautiful in the world. :cool::cool:

blaj wrote:

LOVE north of Northland. If you love the coast and gorgeous hiking & beaches and lots of artsy folk you'll love it. I found South Island pretty but not as beautiful as the north. And it is warmer in the north. Just my opinion. National Geographic rates our Tutukaka coast as the 3rd most beautiful in the world. :cool::cool:

I would have to agree with you there, Northland is also lovely, some outstanding coastline and beaches. Yes Tutukaka is great, perfect if you're into fishing and diving. The Poor Knights Islands are a must see if you're a scuba diver.