Masai Market Prices

Hi everyone,

Hope you all have been well. I'll be going back to the US next week, so this Sunday I was planning on visiting the Masai market at YaYa to get some gifts for friends and family. I want to know if any of you know reasonable prices for some of the items on sale.

I'm interested in:
- smallish canvas paintings (no bigger than a sheet of copy paper)
- larger canvas paintings
- Masai blanket
- Small mask
- Earrings
- Woman's handbag / totebag

I've been vague on purpose, so if you know a general price range for any of these items, please weigh in.

Thanks a lot,
Mike

Hallo?
The canvas paintings would be around Kshs. 10,000.00 for the big one and Kshs. 5,000.00 for the small one.
For the Masai blanket, I have no idea but we can give it a tentative price of Kshs. 3,000.00.
Masks usually range between Kshs. 500.00 to Kshs. 2,500.00.
Earrings would range between Kshs. 100.00 to Kshs. 500.00.
Handbags would cost an upward of Kshs. 1,500.00.
I would advice you to shop at the Masai Market in CBD ( High court parking lot) they usually cheaper compared to others.
If possible,it is also advisable to go with a Kenyan. He'll help you bargain.
Regards.

Wambua, where did you get your prices from a canvas painting 10,0000!!! the maasai market ones. the small are between 800 - 1200 the big ones are between 2,500 - 3,500 depending on quality.
Mike to get an idea visit the curio shops at the Hilton hotel ground floor the ones facing Kencom bus stop earrings there cost between 50 - 100/= max. Many of our guests do their shopping there, cheaper than Masai market because the prices are set and the prices are the same for foreigners and Kenyans no mzungu prices

I was shopping for canvas three weeks ago. The quotation I have given above are for framed canvas. Unframed ones are Kshs. 2,500.00.
I have not been to those curio shops at Hilton hotel.
The good thing with Masai Market is that they have a variety of stuff. I bought a catapult that day!

Can vouch for Hilton shops as well, I have bought gifts for our volunteers and if you go with 500 you can come out with at least 3-5 items depending on what you are buying. I got earrings for under 100. Masai Market does have some variety but as Wambua says, go with a Kenyan or may end up paying more. Yaya is a bit upmarket so too are the prices.

Fantastic, thanks for everyone's advice!