Moving to cancun

I am thinking of moving to cancun and would like some information on living costs and job opportunities.in the construction industry ie, building ,maintenance,or similar. Very adaptable.
I live in California but I am originally from Scotland united kingdom, are there any likewise people or clubs ?. Ant information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If your a citizen of Mexico, you won't have problems getting a job, else you will need a visa that permits you to work. Your employer will help you get one. On the serious side, you'll need a skill that is either not found in Mexico or in a shortage to get the type of job you say that you're qualified for. There are many Mexicans in the construction trades that are unemployed.

i also live in california and plan on moving down there but i dont know where to begin...
any info would help alot..

cheers!

Cost of living here is very reasonable compared to  California which is where i am from originally.  If you fly down here you will get a 6 month tourist visa attached to your plane ticket, which would give you time to find work and get a more permanent visa.

Anything labor related here is super cheap so i am not sure if that is the best plan for work for expats.  The best jobs for foreigners are usually time share sales, service industry, or teaching
English.

Not saying you cant find work in construction just saying you may find it does not pay very much.  You can rent a nice apt here for 275 to 350 in a decent area, utilities are very reasonable, public transportation is cheap and reliable, grocery cost are about the same.

Craig

Hello, after doing a bit of research, it seems that Puerto Morelos would be a nice spot to live in.  I want to live very close to the beach, in a city that has ample returants and descent shopping.
I am retired, so employment is not an issue.  It would be nice if anyone could give me the scoop' on that city or suggest another one, very close to Cancun.
Thanks

hey Kerry!

Puerto Morelos is my fav spot in all of Cancun.  It is really the perfect spot.   I love it because it is right in the middle of Playa Del Carmen and Cancun but probably closer to Cancun.

Great places to eat, close to the beach, real chill place to be.  Not great for shopping but again you are close enough to Cancun so you get to some decent grocery shopping, retail shopping malls and costco.

dont get me wrong, Puerto morelos has little mom and pop convenience stores but no real grocery shopping.

hope that is helpful.

Hey there Craig,,,,that sounds great to hear..,.,had a stressfull job career, so chill and loner style is me!

It seems like its about 10miles to Cancun.,.,.is it a descently safe (meaning bad drivers) drive in the evenings or other times of the day?,.,.,and how realistic is it to get a 2br apartment for about 500-600 bucks a month that's less than a block or two from the beach?

Yes you can drive to Cancun in about 15-20 minutes.   I am not sure what part of the US you are coming from but people here cant drive worth a damn.

I personally dont have a car here out of choice but I live in central Cancun and can walk anywhere I need to go.   The way Puerto Morelos is set up is that you have to drive about 10 minutes after  you pull off the freeway.   So in your situation you are going to want a car.

I go to Puerto Morelos about once a month to chill on the beach with my wife and kids and we have never had any safety issues.  I think it is like anywhere else in that it is smart to stay off the road late at night when the bars are closing.   The area by the beach is pretty safe.  Opposite of the freeway is a little sketchy, so you want to make sure you get a place on the beach side which I am sure is the whole reason for moving down there.

I am not sure on pricing of the area and how much rent is.  I can share with you I live in a nice neighborhood in central part of Cancun and I pay like 600 bucks for a 3 bedroom, 3 bath 1200 sq ft townhouse.  A lot cheaper than what I paid in California.

My email is [email protected] .  If I can be of any help feel free to drop me an email.

Craig

craig i find it really helpful  everything you post up...i will defiantly email you when i get in town so you can show me the ropes...

Have just moved to Mexico and can't but agree with Craig about Puerto Morelos, where I do currently live. If you are up for cosy atmosphere of a small quiet and friendly town, that would be your destination point. Most of the expats have been living here for 5+ years, comparing to ancun and Playa it is almost tourists free and very authentic. Local people so as the expats are very open and helpful in whatever you may ask for, including the housing.

Follow the page - facebook.com/groups/PuertoMorelos for more details on the life in Puerto Morelos

Isla Mujeres also lovely! Much better beaches than mainland. Nice ex pat community.
13 min catamaran ferry ride from mainland.
Lots of fabulous restaurants and bars.
myisla.com
Or Soul De Isla on FB.

Ps. My husband is in construction here. If you can run your own construction company or team then you'll make money to live on but wont get rich, unless you are building private houses and flipping. But it will take a while to find your feet. You will need Spanish language and also some Mayan would nt hurt either, most of his lads have Mayan as their first language and Spanish second.
However if you have a trade like carpentry, spark, plumbing etc, you may get work within the ex pat community especially those clients who don't speak much Spanish.
again this will pay the bills but it's not lucrative.

I am in Cancun every year and I was looking at Downtown Cancun or Playa del Carmen. I love it there I wish I had friends down there so I wouldn't have to stay in a resort. I want to move there and work like yesterday.