Moving to England

Hello

I have reached a cross road and am considering relocating to England.  Can anyone point me in the right direction to find information on housing, employment, recreation and types of food available? :unsure

Where are you from?
Where do you want to go in England and what kind of job are you looking for?

SweetLoniece, this is the best website to answer your questions:

http://www.uk-yankee.com/

I've also compiled a list of links on my own website:
www.twocrabs.com
and
http://twocrabs.blogs.com/hoppingthepond/

Can you directly share a few answers here ? I am sure it would help a lot of people :)

Hello Sallycat

I live in the United States.  To be exact I live in Denver, Colorado.  I am not sure where I would like to live in England.  I would love to live in the country but close enough to the city to enjoy some night life.  I am also looking for an area where a single female can pay the bills without having to work two jobs.
I am currently working in the field of finance but would like to change careers and try my hand at some culinary work and/or private catering.

What do you think about London, Manchester, or Liverpool? Maybe these cities are too big?

I spent a while in London -the cosmopolitan city of europe- and I really loved it! There are a lot of jobs there in the financial area, unfortunately everything is expensive in London ... but you've got access to so many things!

Hi, I am a Canadian who has lived in Bristol, England for two years now and I just want to say that I really love it. Bristol is a beautiful city with an extrodinary history and some of the best weather in England (though of course it is relative, we are in cloudy England after all:) I recommend thsi city to anyone considering moving here.

Fish Feet
http://fishfeet2007.blogspot.com

Hello Fish Feet,
Can you give me any additional information on Bristol?  Was it hard to obtain a visa?

sweetloniece wrote:

I am currently working in the field of finance but would like to change careers and try my hand at some culinary work and/or private catering.

You would need a work permit, and the employer would have to show 1) there is no one in the UK that can do the job and 2) there is no one in the EU that can do the job.

You can read the UK National Shortage Occupation List that the UK uses to assess work permit applications for the UK Work Permit scheme and the upcoming Tier 2 system which replaces the UK Work Permit scheme sometime in the third quarter of 2008.

sweetloniece wrote:

Hello

I have reached a cross road and am considering relocating to England.  Can anyone point me in the right direction to find information on housing, employment, recreation and types of food available? :unsure

Coming to the UK to visit, study or work

Visas for coming to the UK

The American Hour: The website that offers advice & information to expatriates moving to and living in the UK  lots of links to useful info

Time Out London

Living in London

Hello everybody!!
We are three spaniards friends and we are moving to London on January. We are looking for a flat/house but it's very difficult to do it without staying there. Can anybody help us?
Thankss!!

move to England is challenging, but not impossible. To make a smooth transition from living in your country to living in England you need to follow specific steps that include applying for visas and filling out a lot of paperwork. Read on to find out how. Step 1 Decide if you want to become an English citizen or if you want to keep your current nationality. http://moving-to-england-from-us.blogspot.com/

Hi, I recently found a good website which gives you the basic information you need to get you started. At present, it has information tailored to Australians and NZ's moving to the UK, but the information is quite generic:

universalwelcome.com

Good luck!

hi.. i would like to move to england for work.. can anyone help me please..i am moving alone for a couple of months to earn some money

I'm a member here and find it really useful.

[moderated: broken link]

HTH!

i'am algerian student and
i want to get séjour linguistic to london,

sweetloniece wrote:

Hello

If you're coming to London, like most people do, check out my site Moving to London for information about some of the most popular areas.

In terms of British food, it has got miles and miles better in the last 10 years, and the standard is pretty high now, thanks to the explosion of celebrity chefs on the telly.  This Wikipedia page will sort you out from a traditional point of view, but be aware that most (younger) British people will eat international cuisine most days of the week - Chinese, Thai, Indian, Italian rather than meat and two veg classic British dishes.

Hi!!!

I am from Philippines and I've search some website that can answer to all your question. Try the site below for more information and ideas.

Catering London
Offering corporate catering, office caterers and sandwich delivery services across all of London.