Rental questions for Budapest

Greetings all,

At first, I would have loved if I knew this site earlier. Just wanted to say that. It's pretty neat that I can find nearly everything on one website.

But I do have a question though regarding renting of flats (in this case). I am aiming to move to hungary to start anew again, having first going from Sweden to Holland. I can speak both swedish and dutch, so it was not a problem to visit other websites to look for flats. But since I don't know the currency of HUF (at least, in my mind, how it works and how you can count and take account into things) and I only speak little words of Hungarian, I got the following problem.

I am trying to get a job for 200k HUF net, so far, it sounds good, but then I start to orientate for houses, as I can't sleep in my car for weeks (I could for a few days :) ). But in what kind of area can I look for for houses with that kind of salary?

I have looked up on many posts on the forum and know how much things cost around here (globally, not all). I believe 200k net is a reasonable amount (I read that somewhere).

District doesn't matter for me, as long as I can still use my PC with an internet connection, have a bed where I can sleep in and the main things required for living.

Anyone can (re-)direct me to what I can do best or search for?

Questions? Please ask them :D

Hi,
As you have mentioned HUF,it is hungarian currency.I feel you were asking for this too.I know one site where you can see sharing,room flat etc.,please check www.alberlet.hu.
I hope it will help you.Regarding amount you are going to get ,it is your choice only.
Good luck

simplyone wrote:

Hi,
As you have mentioned HUF,it is hungarian currency.I feel you were asking for this too.I know one site where you can see sharing,room flat etc.,please check www.alberlet.hu.
I hope it will help you.Regarding amount you are going to get ,it is your choice only.
Good luck

Sorry, I meant that the salary indication posted is 200k HUF. I don't know how far I can go with that, is it anything reasonable?

Hi,

Official statistics are skewed by rampant tax evasion, but 200kHUF net is definitely above average for one person. Depending on the comfort level you are used to, it can be plenty or barely cover rent.

If your job does not require a daily commute to Budapest, you should be looking at towns around the country. They are invariably cheaper, can be more friendly-cozy (big variance, spend your "sleeping in my car" time traveling around to pick one you like!). This is at the cost of being further away from Budapest where "everything" (and everyone) is, less selection, fewer fellow expats.

Gyor for example is closer to Wien, has considerable IT people population (lots of T-Com technical staff and service industry around them).

Pecs is really nice, despite all the bad press because of the murder that happened there recently. (it was big news because it's such a nice place otherwise.) It is close to the southern border, so there is a significant ex-Yugoslavian influence, which you might like if you are looking for the true "Wild East" attitude. (Budapest is becoming more and more "PC", but of course only on the surface, it's still the same people, they are just less honest.)

Nyiregyhaza is in the poorest region of the country, so I guess it can be rough-and-tough, but IIRC there was some huge boost to its Last Mile network infrastructure, you should be able to get superb Internet linkup on the cheap. (Quick googling reveals there's a "GigaTorrent" subscription plan, 50 Mbit for ~2500kHUF a month, half what I pay for sucky 8Mbit ADSL: http://giganet.hu/#?page=gigatorrent)

In general good luck starting again!

I know a great rental agency homemanagement.hu The guy who owns it is named Tal Hadari and he is a nice guy. A big pro is that the staff speaks english and they are an affiliate to the biggest real estate comapany in Hungary Duna House.

If the renovation of my apt wont be done by September I will rent an apt by Home Management, they gave me a really good impression!

/Frida