Growing vegetables in Tanzania

I would like to start a vegetable garden as soon as we arrive in Tanzania.  We'll be located in Tanga.

Is anybody knowledgable with the availability of seeds, what types of pests and illnesses are there to plan for, will pestisides be available?

Any advice will be welcomed

Hi Swartse,

I am not sure exactly what is available in Tanga, but you should be able to find pesticides without a problem. I know that Arusha had a special store that sold lots of seeds. Even in the smaller town of Iringa, seeds are available. We have grown tomatoes, carrots, pumpkin, lettuce, greens (mchicha) onions, etc. We tried watermelon and cantaloupe but they didn't do so well where we live. The biggest pest are the birds and lizards. We actually know very little about gardening, so you will probably do great!

When you get settled and get it going and want to post pictures and help teach others how to grow here (people like me_ :-) Then I would love for you to write a post on my website. The True Tanzania.com

Good luck with your upcoming Adventure !!!

Thank you so much. We will contact you again after our arrival inTanga. You really did well with your garden! Tanga is on the coastline, about 60km from the Kenian border. To go to Arusha will be a weekend trip for us. Can you remember the seed shop's name?