The Ellis English Club

  • Page 2 / 4

#41 28 July 2012 06:58:58

truc_nguyen
truc_nguyen
Ho Chi Minh City

Re: The Ellis English Club

Hi teacher Mark,
I feel thankful for what you have been doing. Can I join the class with my friend tomorrow? My friend also wants to be more confident in communicating with foreigners. I think this class will help her a lot,
Once again, i really appreciate your kindness.
With many regards and thanks,
Truc

#42 28 July 2012 11:28:26

Teacher Mark

Re: The Ellis English Club

truc_nguyen wrote:

Hi teacher Mark,
I feel thankful for what you have been doing. Can I join the class with my friend tomorrow? My friend also wants to be more confident in communicating with foreigners. I think this class will help her a lot,
Once again, i really appreciate your kindness.
With many regards and thanks,
Truc

Thanks aren't necessary for myself or Simon.  The owner of the school is the one who is giving the most by letting us use the building.  He's happy to do it because some of his biggest clients have employees that will attend, but that's just a part of it.  He seems to be a very good man.

#45 04 August 2012 10:36:20

HongLoan
HongLoan
Ho Chi Minh City

Re: The Ellis English Club

Hi Teacher Mark
How about the club tomorrow?. I haven't seen any information for this Sunday. We will continue some topics that we haven't talked? or is there anything new plan?.

#46 04 August 2012 12:20:54

Teacher Mark

Re: The Ellis English Club

HongLoan wrote:

Hi Teacher Mark
How about the club tomorrow?. I haven't seen any information for this Sunday. We will continue some topics that we haven't talked? or is there anything new plan?.

We'll continue the subjects that we started last week, sing a few more songs, talk about "body language", "mind mapping".  We won't get to discuss everything, so I'll give the class a choice as to what they want to tak about/learn the most.

Simon is going to do a lesson on a song called "Waterloo Sunset", by The Kinks.

Same time, same place.

Simon may have a full time teaching position beginning soon, so I may be losing a volunteer teacher.  If there are any teachers that would like to volunteer ONE HOUR every Sunday, please send me a message. I would prefer a Brit, or any nationality other than mine (American).  I'd  like a mix of accents, being the reason and I'm certainly not saying an American would be turned away!  HELP ME PLEASE!

#47 05 August 2012 06:34:24

HongLoan
HongLoan
Ho Chi Minh City

Re: The Ellis English Club

Dear Teacher Mark
Last Sunday was the first time I joined your club. It impressed me so much. I couldn't imagine that you are so enthusiastic. You also prepared drinks for us. And the most wonderful thing I felt from you is that you made a song about our heroes- Hai Bā Trưng.I appreciate for that so much.
But I want to tell you one thing about this song. That is the sound when we sing "hai bā Trưng" at the chorus. The music makes it mean different. It looks like "hai bā Trừng". We use "/, \,?, ~,. in Vietnamese so they make means different if we use different marks.
Please don't think that I laugh at you. I just share my opinion.
Anyway, thanks for your club because I have opportunity to improve my English.

#48 05 August 2012 06:52:06

Teacher Mark

Re: The Ellis English Club

HongLoan wrote:

Dear Teacher Mark
Last Sunday was the first time I joined your club. It impressed me so much. I couldn't imagine that you are so enthusiastic. You also prepared drinks for us. And the most wonderful thing I felt from you is that you made a song about our heroes- Hai Bā Trưng.I appreciate for that so much.
But I want to tell you one thing about this song. That is the sound when we sing "hai bā Trưng" at the chorus. The music makes it mean different. It looks like "hai bā Trừng". We use "/, \,?, ~,. in Vietnamese so they make means different if we use different marks.
Please don't think that I laugh at you. I just share my opinion.
Anyway, thanks for your club because I have opportunity to improve my English.

Are you coming to the club today?  The class can teach me the correct way to say it!

#51 05 August 2012 12:46:04

Teacher Mark

Re: The Ellis English Club

So, I've been told that I don't deserve to be called a teacher by a  member of this board.  She says I don't know what I'm doing; that I am bad, etc.  I want the people who have attended the club at any time to answer these questions for me.

1.)  Am I a teacher?  Did you feel like you learned anything that was useful, or should I go back to America and resume one of my many careers, like truck driving.

and

2.) There is no question 2!  I want your honest opinion about question 1.

We had 10 or 12 today and can continue at that level.  My dream is to see 100 though, so you need to tell your family and friends!

Thank you for coming today.  I had felt like I'd lost my passion for teaching for at least a few months.  I feel it returning now, thanks to dedicated and hard working students, such as  yourselves. That's the truth, not just "lip service".  You can all say I'm terrible and I won't give up!

The definition of "Lip Service".

Last edited by Teacher Mark (05 August 2012 12:47:41)

#53 06 August 2012 05:58:58

Teacher Mark

Re: The Ellis English Club

nhandong wrote:

Hi Teacher Mark

I wanna come back and learn English with you. Thank for what you taught me. ^_^

Kim Ngan

Only one of you????  Oh well, 1 out of 10 ain't bad.  :D

Thank you very much.  We're doing it again next week.  I'll be doing a worksheet/game on the song "Waving Flag" and showing a few videos on body language and job interviews.

I may also be starting another at the restaurant where we first met. All of the employees there want to participate,and would like me to have one there, but they work so much that it makes it hard to schedule.

#54 06 August 2012 06:06:46

HongLoan
HongLoan
Ho Chi Minh City

Re: The Ellis English Club

Dear Mark
I haven't known that you have many bad emotion like that though I was heard yesterday. I thought it was not the problem for you because I see that you and your friend are still enthusiasm.
I want to say thank you so much. Thanks for you club so that I have opportunity to practice my English, meet honest people like you, your friend,...

#55 06 August 2012 06:24:43

hungdang
hungdang
Ho Chi Minh City

Re: The Ellis English Club

Teacher Mark wrote:

nhandong wrote:

Hi Teacher Mark

I wanna come back and learn English with you. Thank for what you taught me. ^_^

Kim Ngan

Only one of you????  Oh well, 1 out of 10 ain't bad.  :D

Thank you very much.  We're doing it again next week.  I'll be doing a worksheet/game on the song "Waving Flag" and showing a few videos on body language and job interviews.

I may also be starting another at the restaurant where we first met. All of the employees there want to participate,and would like me to have one there, but they work so much that it makes it hard to schedule.

I'm too,I will join your club  next Sunday.I think it's useful for everyone can improve  english skill and make new friends .I read all comments in this topic and I know that you are a good person.I hope you will continue :)
Thanks you :)

Last edited by hungdang (06 August 2012 06:27:48)

#56 06 August 2012 07:38:49

Teacher Mark

Re: The Ellis English Club

hungdang wrote:

Teacher Mark wrote:

nhandong wrote:

Hi Teacher Mark

I wanna come back and learn English with you. Thank for what you taught me. ^_^

Kim Ngan

Only one of you????  Oh well, 1 out of 10 ain't bad.  :D

Thank you very much.  We're doing it again next week.  I'll be doing a worksheet/game on the song "Waving Flag" and showing a few videos on body language and job interviews.

I may also be starting another at the restaurant where we first met. All of the employees there want to participate,and would like me to have one there, but they work so much that it makes it hard to schedule.

I'm too,I will join your club  next Sunday.I think it's useful for everyone can improve  english skill and make new friends .I read all comments in this topic and I know that you are a good person.I hope you will continue :)
Thanks you :)

Thank you friend.  I hope to see you there.

#58 10 August 2012 09:48:09

ktnguyen
ktnguyen
Ho Chi Minh City

Re: The Ellis English Club

Hey Mark,

I see that you're dedicating a lot of personal hours into helping the locals. I want to be a part of that.
If it's cool with you and your Brit friend, I would like to join your club.
I've worked with many volunteer organization in the States as well as a few in Vietnam.  I taught for underprivileged children for a few week before I got this job. Hopefully I can contribute some things as well. 

Would you mind if I volunteer as a teacher?
PS: Do you Honda or Taxi?

#59 12 August 2012 11:56:58

Teacher Mark

Re: The Ellis English Club

ktnguyen wrote:

Hey Mark,

I see that you're dedicating a lot of personal hours into helping the locals. I want to be a part of that.
If it's cool with you and your Brit friend, I would like to join your club.
I've worked with many volunteer organization in the States as well as a few in Vietnam.  I taught for underprivileged children for a few week before I got this job. Hopefully I can contribute some things as well. 

Would you mind if I volunteer as a teacher?
PS: Do you Honda or Taxi?

Please join us.  I like seeing what other teachers are doing, but don't like being observed by them!  It's a trade off and my lesson today was terrible.  Technology bit me in the a$$ again!

At first I "Honda-ed", these days I "Suzuki Nouvo" it!  It's another of my sayings: "What's the best thing about Vietnam?"  "Riding a motorbike!."  "What's the worst thing about Vietnam?" "Riding a motorbike!."

#60 17 August 2012 04:01:55

kinyom_korea
kinyom_korea
ho chi minh

Re: The Ellis English Club

i've just got to know the club by chance. IT is still opening every sunday?. I'm really looking forward to joining this club. Hope i could embrace my English and make friends there. Thanks

#61 17 August 2012 05:07:14

Teacher Mark

Re: The Ellis English Club

kinyom_korea wrote:

i've just got to know the club by chance. IT is still opening every sunday?. I'm really looking forward to joining this club. Hope i could embrace my English and make friends there. Thanks

Yes, we'll be meeting at the same place on Sunday.

Last edited by Teacher Mark (25 August 2012 15:35:04)

#62 17 August 2012 05:38:33

ktnguyen
ktnguyen
Ho Chi Minh City

Re: The Ellis English Club

i went to expat meeting yesterday, and recruited some people for the english club.  hopefully they will come. +4 i hope.

#63 17 August 2012 20:31:21

btran
btran
HCM

Re: The Ellis English Club

Dear Teacher Mark,
It's wonderful of you to set up such an English club. I'm a Vietnamese. I have just returned from Europe recently. Since noticing the lack of such real club I have been thinking about establishing one. It would be my pleasure if I can help out anything at all in running this club. Please let me know on tranbao[at]live.com. It would be my pleasure to help out.

#64 18 August 2012 03:35:43

phi9x
phi9x
Ho Chi Minh City

Re: The Ellis English Club

hi Teacher Mark,
It sounds so interesting about this English club. I am Phi and I am a student. I really want to join this club to enhance my english skills. How can I join this club? :D
my email: phi9x[at]live.com

Best regards,
Phi

#65 18 August 2012 04:03:52

jinxedta
jinxedta
Ho Chi Minh City

Re: The Ellis English Club

Hi T.M.,

This club sound like fun I will be moving to Vietnam in late October. I would love to help out if possible.

Charlie

#66 18 August 2012 12:57:19

unei_nguyen
unei_nguyen
Ho Chi Minh City

Re: The Ellis English Club

Teacher Mark,
I promised to join you this weekend, but I am getting stuck with my driving class. I'm afraid that I cannot make it tomorrow. Hope I am not letting you down. :(

#67 18 August 2012 15:42:06

Teacher Mark

Re: The Ellis English Club

unei_nguyen wrote:

Teacher Mark,
I promised to join you this weekend, but I am getting stuck with my driving class. I'm afraid that I cannot make it tomorrow. Hope I am not letting you down. :(

Students not showing up for class drives me insane!  :D  Get it?? ("Get it?" means do you understand the joke.)

Attendance is optional and judging by last weeks attendance, a lot of people opted not to attend!

My goal is 100 people, people!  I vowed to have that many people attending at least 1 meeting, or I'm going to go throw myself into the Hat River!  That statement may actually drive (again!) the attendance down further.  :D

Last edited by Teacher Mark (18 August 2012 15:43:06)

#68 18 August 2012 15:44:40

Teacher Mark

Re: The Ellis English Club

jinxedta wrote:

Hi T.M.,

This club sound like fun I will be moving to Vietnam in late October. I would love to help out if possible.

Charlie

Love to see you there.

I used to live in Fontana.  Only about 3 months, back in 2000.

#71 21 August 2012 17:45:51

ConRua
ConRua
quebec

Re: The Ellis English Club

Teacher Mark wrote:

unei_nguyen wrote:

Teacher Mark,
I promised to join you this weekend, but I am getting stuck with my driving class. I'm afraid that I cannot make it tomorrow. Hope I am not letting you down. :(

Students not showing up for class drives me insane!  :D  Get it?? ("Get it?" means do you understand the joke.)

Attendance is optional and judging by last weeks attendance, a lot of people opted not to attend!

My goal is 100 people, people!  I vowed to have that many people attending at least 1 meeting, or I'm going to go throw myself into the Hat River!  That statement may actually drive (again!) the attendance down further.  :D

Dear TMark, I sat in one of your classes once and I can honestly say that it was quite boring and terrible. I think you should get your swimming trunks ready for the Hat River!:)

#72 22 August 2012 16:47:03

Teacher Mark

Re: The Ellis English Club

ConRua wrote:

Teacher Mark wrote:

unei_nguyen wrote:

Teacher Mark,
I promised to join you this weekend, but I am getting stuck with my driving class. I'm afraid that I cannot make it tomorrow. Hope I am not letting you down. :(

Students not showing up for class drives me insane!  :D  Get it?? ("Get it?" means do you understand the joke.)

Attendance is optional and judging by last weeks attendance, a lot of people opted not to attend!

My goal is 100 people, people!  I vowed to have that many people attending at least 1 meeting, or I'm going to go throw myself into the Hat River!  That statement may actually drive (again!) the attendance down further.  :D

Dear TMark, I sat in one of your classes once and I can honestly say that it was quite boring and terrible. I think you should get your swimming trunks ready for the Hat River!:)

I swim au naturale, madmoselle!

Last edited by Teacher Mark (22 August 2012 17:31:13)

#75 23 August 2012 03:25:07

Teacher Mark

Re: The Ellis English Club

ConRua wrote:

"I swim au naturale, madmoselle!"

Oh good because the Piranhas will be waiting for your a$$ LOL

I hope they like white meat!  It doesn't really matter though, because I'm not going to be swimming, fishing, or drowning in the Hat River, like Hai Ba Trung.  Our attendance will continue to grow now that the schools are back in session and I will continue to meet them every Sunday, even if only one shows up.

Vietnamese students work long and hard, to the point of exhaustion  most of the time.  Then they have to learn English, on top of everything else.  Yeah, you have had to learn English, but unless you've been a teacher here and witnessed what they have to go through, then you really don't know anything about it, or their grit and determination.   

THEY are the one's that I was thinking about when I decided to form this club. 

THEY are the ones that will continue to come to the classes. 

THEY are the one's who's opinion I care about, NOT YOURS. 

Didn't like the class?  I'll refund the price of admission!

That's all I have to say to you madam, other than you don't capitalize the "p" in piranhas, unless it's at the beginning of a sentence.

Last edited by Teacher Mark (23 August 2012 03:58:16)

#76 23 August 2012 18:59:27

HongLoan
HongLoan
Ho Chi Minh City

Re: The Ellis English Club

Hi teacher Mark
I see that the students who come this club have different level. Some people are good at English but others are not, so they don't understand all what you say.
I have opinions that you shouldn't teach us as you teach in class because not all of them can follow up what you say so they will feel difficult. They want to be fun on weekend, not as in class on weekdays.They want to talk with foreigners as much as possible. Please give us more opportunities to do that. I appreciate your enthusiasm and kindness, that's why I tell you the truth.

#77 24 August 2012 03:02:20

unei_nguyen
unei_nguyen
Ho Chi Minh City

Re: The Ellis English Club

HongLoan wrote:

Hi teacher Mark
I see that the students who come this club have different level. Some people are good at English but others are not, so they don't understand all what you say.
I have opinions that you shouldn't teach us as you teach in class because not all of them can follow up what you say so they will feel difficult. They want to be fun on weekend, not as in class on weekdays.They want to talk with foreigners as much as possible. Please give us more opportunities to do that. I appreciate your enthusiasm and kindness, that's why I tell you the truth.

You got the point, girl!!
At first, this is called a CLUB, but the activities held are more like a CLASS. I didn't speak up because I thought this class way definitely benefits some of us. One's food is other's poison; I have chosen to to enjoy my "poison" yet other's food. It's not a big deal if it remains this way; I did really enjoy the event since I love English in many ways. However, just like HongLoan, I prefer a club to a class.
Just an opinion. :D

#78 24 August 2012 03:09:33

ConRua
ConRua
quebec

Re: The Ellis English Club

Thankyou Hongloan for sharing your TRUE feelings about the class. Why he teaching the class Mind Mapping when there are still so many beginners? Not very practical. These kids just want to practice basic dialogue. One must first learn how to walk before run.

TMark you are right about the strong work ethic of VN students.

TMark please don't equate yourself to Hai Ba Trung. You are not even close to that level.

#79 24 August 2012 03:28:22

unei_nguyen
unei_nguyen
Ho Chi Minh City

Re: The Ellis English Club

ConRua wrote:

Thankyou Hongloan for sharing your TRUE feelings about the class. Why he teaching the class Mind Mapping when there are still so many beginners? Not very practical. These kids just want to practice basic dialogue. One must first learn how to walk before run.

TMark you are right about the strong work ethic of VN students.

TMark please don't equate yourself to Hai Ba Trung. You are not even close to that level.

Oh dear,
In case you don't know, let me tell you. In fact, kids learn to run before they can actually walk. Observe any toddler near you. Do you ever see them walk slowly?? No?? Naturally, they have to walk QUICKLY one step after another to avoid falling over. As they grow older, they manage to WALK.
Just saying.

By the way, Teacher Mart, did you really taught your kids to mind map? Then good job!! Mind mapping is for forming ideas and organizing them. How can we speak spontaneously without thinking clearly?? It is the first thing to teach in speaking section of an IELTS exam. Just like a pale child who wants to gain weight; he/she has to improve his/her bone before trying to put a greater pressure of meat and fat on him/herself.
Just saying. Again.

Anyway, ConRua's right. Teacher Mart cannot equate himself to Hai Ba Trung. Hai Ba Trung had 2 women and Teacher Mart is one single man. (?!) (Now what am I saying?! Pardon for my stupidity!! =.= )

Last edited by unei_nguyen (24 August 2012 03:28:46)

#80 24 August 2012 05:40:00

ConRua
ConRua
quebec

Re: The Ellis English Club

"Oh dear,
In case you don't know, let me tell you. In fact, kids learn to run before they can actually walk. Observe any toddler near you. Do you ever see them walk slowly??"

@Unei: What planet are you from? But here on earth kids learn how to walk before they can actually run.

But I do appreciate your critique on tmark's class. He needs to revise the format or else Attendance will continue to fall. tmark has a big ego, so I don't know if he will accept our critique. Will wait and see.

I miss Amberlulu's comments. They were thought provoking, upfront and honest. I guess she probably concentrating on preparing for her class since school season is back in full swing again.

  • Page 2 / 4
Expatriate health insurance Ho Chi Minh City
Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City.
>> Click here
Expat banking Ho Chi Minh City
Discover the benefits of expat banking for people living and working abroad.
>> Click here
Moving to Ho Chi Minh City
A few tips from professionals about moving to Ho Chi Minh City.
>> Click here
Travel insurance Ho Chi Minh City
Don't worry and travel happy across Ho Chi Minh City.
>> Click here